Optima questions

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mopar marv

Re: Optima questions

Post by mopar marv »

Awesome! I'm impressed by the fact you have stuck with the project for such a long time.

I've been collecting parts and picking away at my car for almost 23 years myself. A rusty, aquamarine colored '68 Dart 2 door Coupe. I drove mine home for $50.00.
But it was a Real mess,broken engine K-Member,etc... I had to stop and back-up three times to make a right turn.

The previous owner went head on into a tall curb with the front wheels turned all the way to the left. The front suspension was bent so badly that the right front tire was running completely on the outer sidewall. And even with power steering, it took all my arm power to keep it going straight. And talk about howling tires,it was as embarrassing as all get out. Left turns were easy,just let go of the steering wheel and it hit left lock instantly! The same thing would happen when I stepped on the brakes. I figured that out the hard way,two broken fingers later.

The old beast has come a long way since then. Its got an A.A.R Cuda quick ratio, firm feel manual steering box. The complete front suspension,brakes and engine K-member,etc.... from a '75 Air conditioned Valiant. I've got a low miles '76 400hp engine with crane cam,'70 440 six pack heads,Edelbrock Torker 2 intake,780 cfm Holley carb,etc.. and an Auto trans with a Mopar Performance torque converter/flex plate. to install in the car once all the welding is done. A 3:91 posi 8 and 3/4" diffie. A full set of Mopar Police Interceptor 15x7 Rims.with 255-60x15 tires for the front and 255-70x15 tires for the rear.
I've got a complete Rallye Dash from a '71 Duster Twister 340 to install in the car. High back buckets from the '75 Valiant parts car. Console from a '67 'Cuda. The factory slap stick shifter from a '70 'Cuda,etc......

But It needs floor panels in the front,rocker panels,1/4 panels. and a butt load of interior work.

And worst of all, I have been looking for a passenger door window since I bought the car 22 years ago. But an on-line friend just hooked me up with a Mopar wrecker in Oregon that has a window for me. If I ever quit blowing all of my money on RCs,lol.

Although,lately I find myself thinking of selling the Coupe as is and dumping all my goodies in my '89 Dakota 1/4 ton. Or dumping the injected 3.9 V6 /O.D. trans from the Dakota into my Dart[factory six/auto car] and using it for a summer cruiser or sell it. And then go ballistic on the Dakota. It has no torsion bars to get in the way of a big block exhaust system,rack and pinion steering,huge wheel tubs,etc... plus it hasn't got near as much rust to deal with.

I'm going to have to make up my mind soon because the local R.M. is getting a bit cranky about my nine 1 to 1 project vehicles. Hey I like variety,I get bored easily,lol.
The Manic Mechanic

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Sounds like you have a cool project too, Marv! And I believe we both hijacked your own thread! :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mopar marv

Post by mopar marv »

Coelacanth wrote:Sounds like you have a cool project too, Marv! And I believe we both hijacked your own thread! :lol:
Why thank you sir,I wish the folks where I live thought so too. :lol:

Hijack? where?

Darn,I guess I missed it, :lol: :lol:
The Manic Mechanic