Happy Birthday to me! Turbo Optima with tecnas!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Happy Birthday to me! Turbo Optima with tecnas!

Post by Coelacanth »

Jay Dub wrote:I would imagine ALL your steel hardware will rust. Including your hinge pins, as well as the outdrives and whatever gets steamed up inside the tranny. Give it a tray and let us know :P . -Jeff
I think you'd be fine even after a full soaking if you followed it up with some good blasts of compressed air and re-lubrication.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

If you put it in the dishwasher, either don't use detergent or be very careful which one you use. Most detergents can absolutely destroy the finish on aluminum, even anodized.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Seriously, a car this nice needs to be torn down piece by piece and then reassembled. Any other way is just being lazy

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

shodog wrote:Seriously, a car this nice needs to be torn down piece by piece and then reassembled. Any other way is just being lazy
So what's wrong with being lazy? :D
Seriously though, I do agree that the car needs a thorough teardown and cleaning. I will be doing that in the nearish future, maybe when the weather goes south this fall. The dishwasher approach was simply to rid the car of the horrible stench - you could smell it from everywhere in the room. Plus my hands got yellow and sticky just handling it. I am happy to report that the car made it through the wash with no effect on the anodizing and it smells much better. The original turnbuckles did get a sheen of rust on them before it even came out of the washer so I'll be pulling them immediately and cleaning them thoroughly. Nothing else seems to have been impacted. I disassembled the wheels and washed them in soapy water as well as the tires and body. Now the only smelly stuff is the electronics which I'll clean by hand, and the paperwork and manuals which I'm not sure what to do with.
Gary

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

Must have been quite a divorce if he really needed a Turbo Optima with belt drive and torque limiting clutch and drove it in the house but hopefully that has helped. But the car is in incredibly good condition. The turnbuckles doesn't look like Kyosho/Option House stuff to me. The smell problem might get solved easily with google. Try something like "how to get rid of smoke smell from plastic". There and all kind of tricks from vinegar to fresh coffee and to vodka. A little search and You will find something that works. If You decide to paint a new body, lexan smell problem is handled too. Lexan might otherwise be quite a tricky.

Jirka

kaz_z
Approved Member

Post by kaz_z »

Wow that's a mint one congrats

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

Ahh.. I think this was the Turbo Optima that was in my head for a couple days. Was this the one on RCUniverse? Do I need it or not kinda thing. :lol: Until an MP9E showed up, I have forgotten about this. I thought the price was very good. Nice grab!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Jirka wrote:The turnbuckles doesn't look like Kyosho/Option House stuff to me.
Very nice find indeed! Gotta love these wheels... These turnbuckles were most probably made by Thorp/Dirt Burners.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Bimdapogs wrote:Ahh.. I think this was the Turbo Optima that was in my head for a couple days. Was this the one on RCUniverse? Do I need it or not kinda thing. :lol: Until an MP9E showed up, I have forgotten about this. I thought the price was very good. Nice grab!
Yes, it was the one on RCU. I had seen the ad before but passed it up because the price was a bit steep for my pocket. I knew it was a deal though so when I saw it a couple of weeks later I was shocked that it was still available. So I submitted an offer and was pleasantly surprised that he accepted it. I also got a nice drive to the warm/dry side of our state for some sun and a tour of his amazing hobby building. He had a lifetime's worth of automotive memorabilia, rc cars trucks and boats, signs, toys, a gas pump, you name it. If anyone has an interest in Tamiya tanks I saw three of those in mint condition, and as I mentioned before there was a new built Kyosho USA-1. The crown jewel was a (real) blown '32 Ford Highboy in the middle of the room.

Asso-man, thanks for the head's up on the turnbuckles. I think I'd like to replace them with some titanium ones at some point because the steel ones always eventually rust in this climate.

and yes, those wheels are sweet! 8)
Gary

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

RedScampi wrote:Asso-man, thanks for the head's up on the turnbuckles. I think I'd like to replace them with some titanium ones at some point because the steel ones always eventually rust in this climate.
Yes, I'd upgrade those turnbuckles with either titanium or alloy ones, and while I was at it, it looks like he's still using the stock 5.8mm balls & open ball-ends, which are always popping off when slightly worn, I'd replace those with 4.8mm ball studs & ball-cups.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

rangerg
Approved Member

Post by rangerg »

Great car. It deserves a tear down and rebuild. Before you do anything, let it sit outside in the sun. I have had good luck with just a few days outside on a sunny day to help out the smell of vintage video game equipment (my other hobby).

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Dayyaauuuummmmmm Gary - that is a VERY nice score mate.

As you know - I LOVE kyoshos- particularly the Optima series. That is going to polish up into a total stunner mate - really top score - please keep the pics of the cleaning and polishing updated!!

loooooooooove Optima's! :)

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

My first proper racer.

Very nice indeed. Well done. The racing clutch was a flop i think. He did fit it out with some nice options like the motor guard, motor spacer and gold chassis kit.

You are very lucky indeed.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

You guys are making me blush! :oops:
Thanks all, I feel really blessed to have this car in this condition. I have a standard Optima build going right now and I'm having a real struggle not tearing into this one first. A great problem to have, I know. :lol:
Gary

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I never noticed that motor spacer...was that to improve cooling?