Cougar Restoration

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CAT3K
Approved Member

Re: Cougar Restoration

Post by CAT3K »

I finally got a free day today and set about finishing this Cougar.

I cut the shell and mounted it to check for fit and those cut lines seemed a little high for me so i left a but extra just in case.

Got her all masked up the best i could. I'm no great painter so i'm really pleased how this paint job turned out. I was originally going to send it to a pro to paint, but it's not the same unless i do it myself, it feels like it's mine when i do the paint, even if it's not perfect.

Paul.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

CAT3K wrote:Got her all masked up the best i could. I'm no great painter so i'm really pleased how this paint job turned out. I was originally going to send it to a pro to paint, but it's not the same unless i do it myself, it feels like it's mine when i do the paint, even if it's not perfect.
I totally agree with this. I just can't wrap my mind around sending out a body to have someone else paint it, because I'd feel like I couldn't take all the credit for *my* build...like it wouldn't be completely mine or something.

The paint-job looks great and I like how you tied in the blue color of the wing "Cougar" decals with your paint scheme. It gives it cohesion. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

moozo
Approved Member

Post by moozo »

Very nice cougar Paul great to see one of these reminds me of when i used to race one back in the day lol :D :D

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Coelacanth wrote:
CAT3K wrote:Got her all masked up the best i could. I'm no great painter so i'm really pleased how this paint job turned out. I was originally going to send it to a pro to paint, but it's not the same unless i do it myself, it feels like it's mine when i do the paint, even if it's not perfect.
I totally agree with this. I just can't wrap my mind around sending out a body to have someone else paint it, because I'd feel like I couldn't take all the credit for *my* build...like it wouldn't be completely mine or something.

The paint-job looks great and I like how you tied in the blue color of the wing "Cougar" decals with your paint scheme. It gives it cohesion. 8)
Thanks. I usually go daft with the decals, but some just didn't look right during the trial fit. Like i said i'm really happy how this one turned out. It was a well used but looked after race car in its previous life on the track by the looks of it, so it was good to have a good base to build on.
moozo wrote:Very nice cougar Paul great to see one of these reminds me of when i used to race one back in the day lol :D :D
My first ever proper race car back in the day was a Cougar MK1 :D That's why i just can't resist buying these.

I actually sold my original race car about 10 years ago when i married :? One of these days i hope to spot it on Ebay and return it home..

Paul.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

CAT3K wrote:I actually sold my original race car about 10 years ago when i married :? One of these days i hope to spot it on Ebay and return it home..

Paul.
Paul,

As a guy who bought up Cougars from all over the world back in the day (I mean, early 2000s...), I have more than my fair share of Cougars and bodies - any pics or description of what yours was like?

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Paul,

As a guy who bought up Cougars from all over the world back in the day (I mean, early 2000s...), I have more than my fair share of Cougars and bodies - any pics or description of what yours was like?

Alex
I have no pictures of it unfortunately.. The buggy was a darker shade of red all over including wing (1 colour wonder :D) It would have been profusely stickered with the original decals, and i think it would have had foam tyres fitted when sold too (I used to race indoors on carpet) Would have been completely stock except for a bearing kit fitted with the exception maybe of the rear wishbones, as i used to use the swb versions from time to time. Perhaps a front shock tower too as i used to break them frequently and can't remember if i replaced them with stock items.

I only started lusting after old cars a couple of years ago when i restarted racing competatively. And as i'm sure is normal, I regret selling my old race car.. Although, i also had two Tamiya Roughriders and i don't have the same desires to replace them for some reason :) Must be a Schumy thing.

Paul.