old keyboard type ESC

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

V12
Approved Member

old keyboard type ESC

Post by V12 »

From my knowledge there were just two ESC with onboard keyboard for programming until today.

The first one was the Tekin 410K what was a real surprise to everyone. Tekin at this time wasn´t the same brand as it´s today. It´s just the same name.

Soon afterwards German electronic engineer Ralf Helbing also released an ESC using a keyboard for programming.
This was the Hel 3000 ESC. Even when looking similar this ESC was much more advanced and more programmable.

Later when Ralf was working for GM-Racing the new version had the name GM Digital 3000 and there were some other cheaper versions available also as the GM Digital 2000. Difference was with less expensive FET-Transistors and less functions.
There were even versions available using Reverse function.
Last version was the GM Galaxy what was released in about 1998.
All versions from the very first to the last one looked the same. The case was black in the beginning and cases with some other colours were released later also.

Both ESC were the beginning of the programmable ESC using Turbo-Function.

Pictures are showing the GM 2000 without case.
Attachments
IMG_1133_800.jpg
IMG_1138_800.jpg

YZ-10
Approved Member

Re: old keyboard type ESC

Post by YZ-10 »

I found an advert for this in magazine, it was for GM like this one, I can dig out and scan if you wish to see it?

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Maybe it´s for public interest so please post this. Thanks.

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

As far as i know the first keyboard speed control was called the purge developed in Brisbane Australia by a guy called Noel Lovisa he then sold the idea or developed the tekin one not real sure if he ever went to the US with tekin or not. He was a different kind of fellow never drove rc cars just briefly developed a speed control and moved on last i heard he was a lecturer at a university, as a side note he looked just like the robot off get smart and people here actually called him himme (spelling) but i don't think he ever got the joke.

peter

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Yes you´re right. As you write about this I remember again. From what I know the 410K actually was developed by this guy you´re talking about. But I will talk with someone who might know better about this.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

pedro wrote:As far as i know the first keyboard speed control was called the purge developed in Brisbane Australia by a guy called Noel Lovisa he then sold the idea or developed the tekin one not real sure if he ever went to the US with tekin or not. He was a different kind of fellow never drove rc cars just briefly developed a speed control and moved on last i heard he was a lecturer at a university, as a side note he looked just like the robot off get smart and people here actually called him himme (spelling) but i don't think he ever got the joke.

peter
Spot on Pedro,

He did indeed work for Tekin for a short time. The result of which was the 410k.

Last I heard, he was a lecturer as you state above.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Kyosho Fan2
Approved Member

Post by Kyosho Fan2 »

Superb info guys, brings back memories as I recall seeing a picture of one many years ago and was a bit smaller than a 410k and looked much nicer.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

pedro wrote:As far as i know the first keyboard speed control was called the purge developed in Brisbane Australia by a guy called Noel Lovisa he then sold the idea or developed the tekin one not real sure if he ever went to the US with tekin or not. He was a different kind of fellow never drove rc cars just briefly developed a speed control and moved on last i heard he was a lecturer at a university, as a side note he looked just like the robot off get smart and people here actually called him himme (spelling) but i don't think he ever got the joke.

peter
the first speed control made by the australian intac engineering company represeted by noel/himme :lol: was the dsp150 (no pic sorry) i met him also peter and your discription is spot on, he was one clean cut fella :mrgreen:

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

I raced the old Helbing Esc, (which was a generic Green Case) we had a bunch of guys running them in Pro-10 for a while, this was all while LRP was coming out. Then GM released their series based on his design. The ESC's were awesome and no one ever had issues, especially when he himself came around to the races. We also had pushed Batteries from Helbing. I need to see if I have some old pic laying around.