96 plymouth voyager SE delimma HELP!!!!!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

96 plymouth voyager SE delimma HELP!!!!!

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Tryn to get this thang working again think its electrical.
I replaced the computer pcm,then all the sensors and fuel filter checked the relays and even replaced the steering column which fixed a short that kept making the wipers come on even when wiper switch on column was off.The van looks great inside an out and under the hood.Im stumped on this one!!!!!! I hate working on noncarburated cars YYYYUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated from you mechanics out here.Cause im down to $200.00 bucks for rest the month.Disability once a month paycheck sucks.So may be sell parts or cars soon.DON

PS:When i replace the $440.00 computer PCM it drove 100 yards fine the started spitn and sputtering til cut off.

greazy
Approved Member

Re: 96 plymouth voyager SE delimma HELP!!!!!

Post by greazy »

I have a friend with a 98 and has had the same problems you and it wont start sometime. My other friend that has a shop, he has chased the problem for him for the last year. He has replaced all the same items you and still no fix. I know its not any help , just thought you would like to know you are not alone.

Midwest_Mudder
Approved Member

Post by Midwest_Mudder »

check the connection to the pcm. a friend of mine had a plymouth neon (not dodge) that did the exact same thing. he got ticked at it after spending 500 plus on sensors, the computer, and various relays, and he sold it to me for 100 bucks. I had it for 2 weeks, was about ready to give up, then looked at the connection between the computer and the wires. i noticed a very slight gap between them, so i took a socket and tightened the bolt that holds it all together. after that it drove perfectly fine. i offered to sell it back to him for 100 bucks but he wanted nothing to do with it. so i sold it for 1000 to a kid needing a school car. just saw it driving around town today.

but it would:
sputter
die
surge
smell like hell
throw codes (for all sorts of crap)
fouled 3 sets of plugs...

i dont know if thats your problem or not, but if it drove decent for awhile after the computer got replaced, i would look at the computer as the culprit. sometimes even though they were "tight" when you installed it, they loosen up and you can torque em back down...
Raised on cornfields.... Killing on Paintball fields... Nebraska Baller Through and Through

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

The connectors just snap in and are very tight.I put it in it cranked up and put into gear an ran sweet till drove a 100 yards less than 20 miles an hour in long driveway then spit ans puttered and cut off.But will recheck the connections to it maybe a loose pin.But no bolts cept ones hold it to fender wall.Thanks DON

Mazdaj
Approved Member

Post by Mazdaj »

When the thing does crap out try to check fuel pressure. I work for a former Dodge dealer, and it seems fuel pumps are notorius on these vans.

illshou
Approved Member

Post by illshou »

First of all, what engine is in the van? I'm a lisenced tech and own one of them crapboxes myself as well so I may be able to help.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

3.3 motor when it starts actin up you haft to barely pump the throttle to keep it going til it starts kickin back through the throttle body to the filter box.Going thoop thoop thoop cuts off.Then when try restart just spins over and thoop thoop thoop.Getn fire to the plugs half tank a gas plenty fuel flying iut the rail valve.Don

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

Post by victor_cathedral »

it could be fuel injectors. i dont suppose you have any noid lights. try unplugging 1 injector at a time and starting. sometimes a faulty injector will begin to short, and take out a whole bank of injectors. when u unplug the faulty one, the others start to work. i dont have experience with that particular motor, so its worth a shot at least.

also, it kind of sounds like timing is way off when it start sputtering, maybe a crankshaft position sensor is failing? you could also try unplugging the mass airflow sensor, which sends it into a default type of fuel mixture. sometimes with a very bad mass airflow sensor, this will make it run better. if it runs better unplugged, it most likely needs replaced.

just a few easy things you might try, goodluck !

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

If its a 96 it'll have OBD-II. Why not use a code reader to see if its throwing any codes?

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Try reading the check engine codes...I think you can check them by turning the key on, off, on, off, then on again within a few seconds. Count the number of times the light flashes and look up the codes here:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

Could be a crank sensor. We had a beater Cherokee that did the same thing you've described. Sometimes it would run fine for a few minutes, other times only for a few seconds.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Something about links code but zeroed it out after new computer put on it but no codes show at all now.Will try those ideas guys thanks.DON