93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds UK? Magazine Feature!! :-D

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

YZ-10
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo - a YZ-10, 93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds

Post by YZ-10 »

Wow those parts came up awesome, I guess I should send off my two motor mounts off to Tony @ Rudebits 8)

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

nice job dan, was it soda/sand/bead??? yeah definatly clear coat as the magnesium goes off quick alright, thought the hub's and wing mount's were alloy dude? :) the other ones i have seen were.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

The parts have been bead blasted... though I couldn't tell you the grade used. The blasting process has made all the parts (even the wing wire) look the same colour, indeed i think all the parts are magnesium except possibly the wheel hubs (which might be ali)... but i'm not sure?

I'm hearing your suggestions for clear coating/protecting the magnesium parts... but i'm hesitant to use anything thats an aerosol, as getting a smooth & thin finish will be nigh-on impossible. I'm wondering if 'decal cote' (used to seal in transfers on plastic model kits) applied using my airbrush would do the trick? ... i'm presuming areas like where the bearings sit in the bulkhead will need masking up to ensure they fit correctly?

Having said that... considering how bad these parts were corroded (through being stored in a damp garage) I'm sure these parts will continue to look alot better than they did for a long while sitting in my warm house?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Ok, so I contacted Jason Varley at CML here in the UK (Yokomo distributers) to ask if he/they had any further info on the 93WCS buggy... however I think he was getting confused & mixed up with the Pavidis car as he said the WCS that I had was released after Masami's win in 1995 :| However he did confirm that they brought around 40 kits into the UK & also e'mailed me these rather brilliant images of a 93 WCS that they used for promotional purposes.

The car shown has a few minor differences compared to mine (check out the extension 'horns' on the rear hubs to shorten the upper links) but judging by the green 'dot' sticker on the chassis I have a feeling this car was used either at the Worlds or some other large event (Euros maybe?)

Quick update on my car.... I spent much of last Saturday stripping, scrubbing & cleaning every single little part - its all looking pretty good (& in quite good condition!) & I'm impressed with the quality of all the parts - I can see why these were expensive kits! One design flaw that I did notice however, is how the hub bearings are so close together causing 'slop' in the axle despite the bearings & shafts being in good shape :|

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Awesome pictures, nice work Dan!! Notice there are also fine pitch belts on there, apparently Masami tried to run a mixture of 2mm and 3mm but couldn't get the correct ratios.

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Yep in the original instruction pictures you can see the car was assembled with the 3mm size belt on the rear, must have been fun to turn up to a worlds and realise your car has a serious problem or was it found before they left japan? There was an article in one magazine that said they found the problem after they had turned up and started testing.

peter

quote="fakiee"]Awesome pictures, nice work Dan!! Notice there are also fine pitch belts on there, apparently Masami tried to run a mixture of 2mm and 3mm but couldn't get the correct ratios.[/quote]

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Could you buy the arms for this car with the holes drilled into them, I always assumed this was a racer trick to lighten them? Got a few sets of these arms with holes drilled in, some bad but some look professionally done - perhaps done at the factory?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

They came from Yokomo un drilled, and the holes were a common trick as I understand- but later arms in the 95' year range were "factory lightened" with a mold change to reduce material in some areas

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

great pics dan, any chance of enlarging them? how could yokomo not test the car before sending from japan :shock:

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Just read this post in its entirity, and what an interesting read, very nice car with some history.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

So rather by accident it seems I've spotted another (quite significant) difference between the prototype cars brought over to Basildon for the 93 Worlds..... Masamis car - and my car both share the same layout for the holes in the kick-up at the front of the chassis..... yet having seen (in a photo) the u/side of a production 93WCS it matches the same layout as all 'kick-up' YZ-10s from the 93WCS onwards. Basically it concerns the position of the 4 inner holes that the screws pass going into the two part bulkhead (where the front pulley runs) On Masami's & my cars these holes are further forwards by about 4mm.... now I don't know why this is or if the bulkhead parts in Masami's car were different? In my car it seems some later parts had been re-drilled to suit the chassis :|

Some pics;

Masami's car, as photographed in the Dec93 RRCI article, bit tricky to see but the visible rear-ward screws are roughly inline with the outer screws;

My Original chassis

And finally the view of the u/side of a production WCS... see how the middle screws are further towards the rear

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

didnt they changed to bigger pulleys ???

mvh Isobarik

pedro
Approved Member

Post by pedro »

Jeeeez someone has good eyes, i quess mine is a production version then :(

peter

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

pedro wrote:Jeeeez someone has good eyes, i quess mine is a production version then :(

peter
I wouldn't worry Peter.... you still have one very rare & exclusive buggy, especially in the 'new' condition of yours! 8)

.... Notice also how the little 'ledge' that sticks out of the chassis to support/protect the servo is more pronounced on your chassis compared to mine.... I love spotting these variations! :mrgreen:

@ isobarik, i'm not sure about the pulleys - I think all 93WCS would have been the same (prototype or production) these would have obviously been for the M2 belts for this car.... so would naturally be different for later (94>) YZ10s

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I can't see any spacing differences in the front ends of the 2 versions