Picked up a RC10: Future 90's EDM project.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Re: Picked up a RC10: Future 90's EDM project.

Post by Johnboy72 »

PM on the way. I think I used to have that front bumper too. However I cut the ends down for looks as well as I got tired of it catching other cars.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Update: Guy received my shipment today. Should say a very generous shipment. I included a lot of extra stuff like custom painted bodies, parts, etc. I just hope this guy holds up to his end of the deal. I've never traded via online before.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Johnboy72 wrote:Update: Guy received my shipment today. Should say a very generous shipment. I included a lot of extra stuff like custom painted bodies, parts, etc. I just hope this guy holds up to his end of the deal. I've never traded via online before.
Which guy, someone here or?

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

No, not off this site. Here in GA.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Picked up a couple of bottles of HP 3%, now to find something to put the parts in. Don't think we have any canning jars but I'll find something. The owner's dad said they shipped the car today so should be here by Sat. Finger's crossed I don't get screwed over. Been a stressful past two months. With the news I got today, this will be either an extremely low buck slap together or a cease in operations until a later date. Might just run it as is. We'll see.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Well got the car in today. It's pretty dirty and nasty but looks pretty solid. It's an A stamp Cadillac. I'll get some pics up as I started to tear down and clean.
Little helper
Bird's nest?
So it's all torn down and in the morning the plastic parts are getting the HP bath!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

:lol: There is a mouse nest in the rear bulkhead :lol: - you prob were going to anyway, but run those parts through a degreaser like simplegreen before the HP thing-

That will likely clean up nicely

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

They have been thru first dishsoap wash.

I'm researching on the site about using CLR or something similar as I'm losing patience with soap and water. Guess I'm getting a little lazy. lol. I'm not seeing it the CLR is deluted or not. Most say they just soak the parts for a few hours.

Must say the parts do look a lot better after a good cleaning. But can't wait to see these really clean like most of the other builds.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

While my original parts are soaking in CLR, I figured I needed something to do. So here's some playing around pictures.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Here is the rear end mocked up for the hell of it. The rear shock tower is just something for mock. It is using a Cobra rear tower and T2 shock thingees. But if I was thinking of building it for the Low Buck contest, I'd build a different shock tower if I could find some material around the house. For RC right now, I'm broke and no way will the wife allow me to spend money on this. But after we move and get settled in (mid Feb), game on!
So far this has a plate used of the Cobra Nemesis to mount the trans and arms. Newer black rear arm mounts. Delrin rear arms. Some camber links off some unknown cheap import ebay rc car. Ebay shocks I ordered years ago thinking they'd be just like TC3 shocks (they've been in the bottom of a junk jar since purchase, dang lying Ebay seller!). Stealth trans that I have no idea how I ended up with (the Cobra was a rear motor car so it didn't come with this trans).

So what do you think? Should I continue to mess around and see what I can come up with? I'm trying really hard not to cut into the chassis and making it to where I can return to stock. But thinking it would be a neat little dirt oval project for now.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... That's the wrong CLR. You need CLR bathroom/kitchen cleaner. It comes in a yellow spray bottle. Soak the parts for at least 25 hours. Then use a small tooth brush, a scrub brush, and pipe cleaners to clean the parts. They will clean up 99%. Then soak the parts in H/P for a few days with a true UV light shining on them.

102 RC vehicles and counting...

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

OPPS. Well already did it. Had let them sit for a couple of hours. Larger parts were diluted but the smaller parts were mostly CLR. Everything came off perfect! Really no effort and didn't take any notice to any damage. My parts are currently sitting in HP at this time. Hope they'll be alright.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Ok, posted this over at DODC but figured I'd try here too for answers/suggestions. I want to recreate this body.

My dad worked for the Wilcox family and we helped with this car. I have fond memories of going to the track, playing in the car, riding in the car (on the trailer leaving the pits), etc. I know someone used to make these style bodies. I really need suggestions on the nose/scoop. I can recreate most of this with lexan. I could do the nose as a 3pc but that would leave a gap where the two sides would meet the top. Any suggestions on the nose? Too bad I couldn't create a buck out of wood and somehow heat the lexan to form over the buck without screwing it all up. Again, any suggestions? Also, what thickness lexan is everyone using on current bodies?

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Ok, so got some stuff in today. The wife didn't even kill me. I ordered "RC10" bolts from Fastner Express. I was very skeptical as the bag was very small. Sure enough, not enough bolts to finish the job. So looks like I'll have to order some stuff later down the road. Also got in a brand new bumper and a free box from a member off DODC. The freebie box had me so in shock, I put the car back together. But once the move is complete, I'll blow it all apart and install new bearings and further clean it up. Also lexan and screws ordered from Kipps. Here's some pics.
The covers chipped a little bit of chrome so putting the original rims on.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

So waiting on lexan and figured I'd try my hand at building a template. This is my progress so far. I haven't built a EDM body in at least 18 years. So I'm sure the finished product will look better.