RC10 B2.5 Baja Bug Project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Diggley
Approved Member

Re: RC10B2.0 Baja Project

Post by Diggley »

Mr. ED wrote:that's a readers ride of the month candidate for RCCA for sure

I appreciate the comments.

It's not quite Reader's Ride of the month material..., but I think the October 2009 issue will be one of my personal favorites.

I hope to add a Car Action decal to it soon...
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Diggley wrote:

It's not quite Reader's Ride of the month material..., but I think the October 2009 issue will be one of my personal favorites.

oops, I'm going to miss that: after they gradually reduced the content of the mag in the last couple years and started pushing it into the web version, which, oh sorry , is not included in your hard subscription and will cost you extra :evil: ... I got a little disappointed, but still had a long already paid subscription running. Then they dropped a couple more pages and replaced it by the stupid boat section. That was It for me, I decided to not extend my subscription after the many years (Hell if I want to see boats I 'll buy RCBA :roll: )

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Mr. ED wrote:
Diggley wrote:

oops, I'm going to miss that: after they gradually reduced the content of the mag in the last couple years and started pushing it into the web version, which, oh sorry , is not included in your hard subscription and will cost you extra :evil: ... I got a little disappointed, but still had a long already paid subscription running. Then they dropped a couple more pages and replaced it by the stupid boat section. That was It for me, I decided to not extend my subscription after the many years (Hell if I want to see boats I 'll buy RCBA :roll: )

You bet.

I'm not terribly thrilled about the boat thing either. After all, it is called RC Car Action ....I'm just a little bummed I haven't received my decal set yet..No big deal, (I'm still stoked with the end result)... I was thinking about starting a subscription up though....since I have a boat too. :lol:
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: RC10 B2.5 Baja Bug Project

Post by Mr. ED »

Well I got my very last one this weekend and reading through it yesterday found several pages dedicated to heli's :roll:

Still nice though to see your car in pics which you know are going worldwide (yes, I know, so do pics on the web, but still)

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

I went to the PO Box today,

It's official.

I guess other than slapping a Car Action decal on it, it's finished.

Time to concentrate on other projects.
Attachments
IMG_9462.JPG
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

I couldn't resist a seasonal photo...next stop, the beach!
Attachments
IMG_5753.JPG
IMG_5751.JPG
Projects and shelfers:

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Diggley wrote:I couldn't resist a seasonal photo...next stop, the beach!

Love this one, looks like the tiny buggy is far away down the hill.
I was going to comment that I never felt good about the light decals on that body. I think I would cut some opening and insert a plastic one from the inside of the body.

Cool snow pics.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

m_vice wrote:
Diggley wrote:I couldn't resist a seasonal photo...next stop, the beach!

Love this one, looks like the tiny buggy is far away down the hill.
I was going to comment that I never felt good about the light decals on that body. I think I would cut some opening and insert a plastic one from the inside of the body.

Cool snow pics.
Thanks,

I agree on the headlight thing.

When I had the decals made, there was nothing else out there. The photo copied '67 Tamiya Beetle decals came out with a weird blue-green background because at the time there was no way to make a transparent decal like the originals. Now Proline has a great set that comes with all their Baja bodies. I plan to swap them out soon. There is always a possibility of cutting a couple holes in the fenders in the future and doing something like my other project:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8967
Projects and shelfers:

Need4Speed

Post by Need4Speed »

What a beautiful project, well done man!

I just dusted off my old B2 last night and soldered in a new 3000 NiMh pack and was quite pleased with the performance of my slightly rusted RC10 fully loaded with "Hot Trick Stuff" hop ups. You've motivated me to go out and buy a Baja Bug shell for it now and continue the nostalgia out here in Austin,TX.

Have you considered adding working lights to the car yet? I just bought an LED flashlight and plan to re-purpose the bulbs from it and light up all the cars in my R/C collection. Since it gets dark so early in the winter, I think they're a must if you plan to thrash around at night!

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Need4Speed wrote:What a beautiful project, well done man!

I just dusted off my old B2 last night and soldered in a new 3000 NiMh pack and was quite pleased with the performance of my slightly rusted RC10 fully loaded with "Hot Trick Stuff" hop ups. You've motivated me to go out and buy a Baja Bug shell for it now and continue the nostalgia out here in Austin,TX.

Have you considered adding working lights to the car yet? I just bought an LED flashlight and plan to re-purpose the bulbs from it and light up all the cars in my R/C collection. Since it gets dark so early in the winter, I think they're a must if you plan to thrash around at night!
Thanks for the comments!

These old B2's & B3's are great cars.

I hope to see more Baja projects on here soon, they never get old!

I'd like to replace the headlamp decals, but there's not much room between the body & the front shocks. There's a possibility I may try reworking Monster Beetle/Sand Scorcher headlamps.
The amber LED's in the bumper work great, the driving lights/foglamp combo may follow suit soon.
Projects and shelfers:

TZona
Approved Member

Post by TZona »

Diggley wrote:I went to the PO Box today,

It's official.

I guess other than slapping a Car Action decal on it, it's finished.

Time to concentrate on other projects.
where did this little car and the other come from?

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

where did this little car and the other come from?[/quote]

I think the mini-R/C Boomerang-Tamiya type came from a local Wal-Mart or Target department store.
(it was a gift)

The little tube Baja buggy/rail came from Wal-Mart. (I think is was about 3 bucks.)
Projects and shelfers:

TZona
Approved Member

Post by TZona »

thanks, do you know how were they marked?

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

TZona wrote:thanks, do you know how were they marked?
Not sure..(?)
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Headlight option... :D

I picked up an old Cox Baja Bug a few months ago that I had planned on restoring...but it looks like it's parts have proved more useful than the car itself..

So far, it's interior parts have been used between my Ultima Baja project, and the "I have an idea" Dune Buggy.

These lights might solve the problem on this one. (I was never that happy with the repro'd Tamiya headlamp stickers..)
Attachments
IMG_2323.JPG
Projects and shelfers: