New guy with old "barn fresh" 10T

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Truckguy

New guy with old "barn fresh" 10T

Post by Truckguy »

Hi guys. I stumbled on this site after trying to research my 10T. I use the term "Barn Fresh", for those not familiar to the term, it basically means something that has been stored and hidden for years--sometimes almost forgotton about, then brought out into the public eye. We use the term alot dealing with real cars.

Anyhow, I bought a RC10T years ago---infact i still have the box and original invoice from Tower Hobbies from 1996. It is a team truck, part number on the box is 7035. From what i gathered here, it was probably one of the last runs before they switched to the T2 trucks, and from what I remember they did come out shortly after i had bought this.

The truck in all honesty was used very little, as I only stayed in the hobby a few years----and really haven't been back since. Fast foward to this week. A co-worker bought some Traxxas truck and was telling me about it, and it instantly brought back a flood of memories and some questions on where is all my stuff (we bought a house 4 years ago and i am still finding thing i forgot about).

So i have this 10T. I have been reading and a little confused on what i should do with it. Some seem to modify the heck out of them while others want a fairly restored piece. Values seem to be all over the place. So i am debating whether to modify mine and just run it (I just run for fun--might consider some light racing in the future if it fits in a local class), or just sell it being it is very much mostly original and buy a T4 truck. I have some selected RPM items I am looking at to start the mods now, but if someone wants a nice original truck, why mess with it too much. I did manage to find one of my Futaba Magnum Junior controllers too---luckily the one that goes with this receiver in the truck. What would you do? Pics below....

I don't mind being behind the modern times, at least we had common sense back then.

vintage88
Approved Member

Re: New guy with old "barn fresh" 10T

Post by vintage88 »

personally i would give it to vintage88 hes a great guy 8) :lol: welcome i would give it a good bath and modify the things you want for the way you drive i say run it...

tim

sneako43
Approved Member

Post by sneako43 »

Run it. Update what it needs and use it for what it was meant for! Invest a few bucks and have fun. Maybe some new electronics? Step up to the RPM arms all around.

I have a NIP RPM front bumper (blue) that is a big improvement over stock is you are interested.

Take it apart, clean it up, and get it dirty again!
SC10 -- FT B4.1

oldskoolracer
Approved Member

Post by oldskoolracer »

beware - it's addictive. you THINK you're gonna stay with your one truck but you're wrong. a couple of months ago I resurrected my old buggy. I now have RC10DS and just bought a truck similar to yours on flea bay. :roll: Keep us updated - I'd like to know what you do with it. Also, some might disagree, but I say take that foam motor thingy off - motors like to be cool, not insulated.
If I couldn't work on it, I wouldn't drive it.

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

I know its addictave. This isn't the only one i have, LOL---its just the only Truck I have.

Also in the arsenal is a older 10L pan car of about the same vintage, and two drag cars (door cars) as well as my old Bolink Legend car that I was turning into a drag car before I lost intrest and went on to real cars.

The foam motor cover was old school, but it worked to keep the crap out. I never ran anything super radical anyhow all the time. Actually the motor in the truck now was the spec motor from the Legend car, so that'll have to get changed to something a bit hotter.

I would really like to find my other radio and charger, I have two chargers but only one worked and I am pretty sure the one I found is the one that doesn't work.

I think I am going to modify what I have seeing its mostly for fun and maybe some grudge racing with my co-worker. It'll probably be cheaper than buying a whole new truck and modifying that.
I don't mind being behind the modern times, at least we had common sense back then.

71Charger

Post by 71Charger »

This hobby being addictive is an understatement you should look at the Pics I posted of my hobby room and some of the trucks I own.For me once I got started on R/C cars I haven't stoped.Nice old truck you have by the way you should keep this truck and buy alot more and have a fleet of them like me.

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

Truckguy wrote:I think I am going to modify what I have seeing its mostly for fun and maybe some grudge racing with my co-worker. It'll probably be cheaper than buying a whole new truck and modifying that.
Bahahahahahahaha!

:lol: :lol:

Good luck with that!

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

mod it and run it i say, 10t's are awesome.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

nice 10T...I would ditch the old electronics and buy lipo batteries and a brushless system with a 8.5t or 10.5t motor. The rest of it is as good as gold for those grudge matches :D

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

Well, I decided to keep it as is for the moment and I will pick up some pieces to mod it too, but keep the originals I guess in case some wacko collector down the road wants that stuff. I think i will make it more of a pretty/fast truck and just take it out now and again.

I am thinking of getting the chassis powdercoated white with all the blue RPM arms and hardware I can find. Add some nice chrome wheels. Would be killer if i could find a new ProLine rame body like the one thats on it---that may take some digging to come up with.

Oh, and I did jump the Associated ship a little (which is ok as I only own two AE's out of five I have), I could not beat the price on a Traxxas Rustler brushed motor RTR kit--(same kit my co-worker bought). At least I can beat the crap out of it and mod it to he!! without worrying about parts availability like my 10T. Now I own six cars/trucks.

sneako43
Approved Member

Post by sneako43 »

Parts aren't that hard to come by. Worst case scenario is ebay. In my experience with my 10T, I have been able to find all the parts I need without using ebay.

Check craigslist...that's where I found my first 10T, a B3, and and a T4...all super cheap compared to ebay.

Alot of people recommend the RPM trans for the 10T. That's probably the next thing I do.
SC10 -- FT B4.1

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

They RPM trans is definatly on the list of mods too. I am going to start gathering parts and maybe by spring time I cann redo the truck over.

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

Ordered up some RPM goodies today, maybe sometime next week they will be here.

So far for the list, I have the following.

Blue front arms
Blue rear arms
Blue bumper
Blue tie wraps
Blue antenna mast
And some Traxxas battery connectors to change my batteries over

On the list so far to get soon...
Blue screws/turnbuckles
RPM 2.6 transmission
Get the chassis powdercoated white
Some nice wheels and tires
Would love to find another body, but I am not sure what i bought 10 years ago. I think it might be a Pro line, but not sure. If anyone knows or recognizes the body in a hobby shop near you, let me know.

sneako43
Approved Member

Post by sneako43 »

Truckguy wrote:Ordered up some RPM goodies today, maybe sometime next week they will be here.

So far for the list, I have the following.

Blue front arms
Blue rear arms
Blue bumper
Blue tie wraps
Blue antenna mast
And some Traxxas battery connectors to change my batteries over

On the list so far to get soon...
Blue screws/turnbuckles
RPM 2.6 transmission
Get the chassis powdercoated white
Some nice wheels and tires
Would love to find another body, but I am not sure what i bought 10 years ago. I think it might be a Pro line, but not sure. If anyone knows or recognizes the body in a hobby shop near you, let me know.
And it begins...
SC10 -- FT B4.1

Truckguy

Post by Truckguy »

sneako43 wrote: And it begins...
True, but my projects take forever to finish. :lol: