== Who the Heck Are You? ==

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: == Who the Heck Are You? ==

Post by kaiser »

howdy,

my name is pete, i live in torrington ct.
i'm the parts manager at a large vw/audi/porsche dealer in danbury ct.

i got into rc back in the 80's. my first car was a used tamiya wildone.
i quickly got into racing with my dad, we both had jrx2's and ran the dirt oval at a & d's fast tracks in brewster ny.
i built a few oval only rc10's, i ran modifed and eastern mod.
then i got into off road with a worlds rc10 and then a XX.

i got back into rc a few years back, mainly to collect all the cool old tamiya models that i never had, or had and got rid of.
my collection was 100% tamiya until a week ago when i got a free box of parts, in the box was most of the parts to a gold pan, minus the pan of course.
then a few days later i got a used b4 with a 17.5 novak gtb system in it, now i'm thinking about racing again. lol

and it begins........my wallet is going to be sore for a while. lol

nsr250_repsol
Approved Member

Post by nsr250_repsol »

Well since I'm new to this board here is a bit about me.

Josh, 34, PMEL technician in the USAF. I'm currently stationed at Kunsan AB in S. Korea but will be moving to Aviano AB, Italy in 2 months. I have also spent about 7 1/2 yrs stationed in Japan. My hometown is Milton, WI. I have a much larger collection than I had ever planed to have. I have viewed this board for a long time but recently decided I would try to contribute.

I think I have somewhere around 40 cars/trucks including the one I race. Some of the Highlights in my vintage collection are:

Tamiya Avante (I have 3 :P)
RC10 Team Car with MIP 410L conversion (good story behind this on, thread to follow)
RC10 Worlds Car
2 RC10 Team Cars
2 RC10Ts
Ultima Pro XL
Ultima Pro (kit)
Lazer ZX (Kit)
Triumph
Maxxum (kit)
JRX2
JRX2 Performance Kit (I think this was Mrlexan's at one time)
Blackfoot (kit)
Bruiser

Ok My list is getting too long. I will have a thread later with pics of my collection. I'm also a painter so I plan to share some of my paintjobs I have done later as well.

Me at a 1/8 race in Japan May 2010
eBay ID: Nsr250_sp_repsol

vintage88
Approved Member

Post by vintage88 »

well i am almost possitive im the youngest member at the ripe age of 21 years old originally from southern illinois im now a helo mechanic in the marine corps stationed in jacksonville nc me and my father have been in the hobby since before i was born lol my collection includes

2 losi micro ts
2 tamiya hornets
1 tamiya blackfoot
1 tamiya grasshopper (total custom/under construction)
1 rc10 goldpan
1 rc10 graphite (built in the late 80s for the carpet tracks)
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

Brett Scissons... tattoo artist
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (23.05 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (23.05 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
with age comes a cage

WarSurfer

Post by WarSurfer »

woohoo first post

Morning everybody. My name is Hugh. I've been lurking for about a month now. I started with a goldpan back in the 80's. In college I had a couple gas R/C's (RS4 and a ported rustler) but I sold them for food.

Current list:
my first gold pan - unstamped
several gold's
2 black pan team cars
2 worlds, 1 with fiberlyte chassis
3 graphite team cars
1 dual sport
2 nitro rs4's (will probably sell to feed my '10 addiction)
2 gs storms (1/8 scale buggies) actually decent quality kits but no parts support

parts:
2 gold pan A's one is near perfect the other not so much
1 ratty black pan
1 near perfect worlds pan
1 fusionspeed tub (6 gear)
3 or 4 cars worth of various A-arms, bulkheads and transmissions

Glad to be on the board! I'll post up some pics in the appropriate sections.

David H
Approved Member

Post by David H »

Hello my name is David and I am 33. I have recently gotten back into the hobby after a long layoff from racing back in the 80s with my grasshopper. I am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about this RC stuff that I have been away from for so long. I am married with 2 sons (10 and 12) and am a full time college student.

mrhemi1971
Approved Member

Post by mrhemi1971 »

Name's Ryan, Been racing R/C on and off since the late 70's, Waving the AE flag high since 84' (was at the first ROAR off road nat's in Vineland watching the legends before they were!)
Getting married in 4 weeks (at the time of this post) to a great girl who puts up with my hobby obsessions

Current stable of AE's:

2 gold pans..One is my original, that I just got back from a trade I made with a friend in 87
A few early CE's
Several 1/12th chassis from 12e on...
Ditto for 1/10 Pan cars..
10t, t2, t3
b2,b3,b4
Nitro and electric tc3's
HAD a DS and wish I could find another
HAD a RC500 4wd on road....MISS THAT ONE...(got stolen)
RC8B FT w/lrp .21
RC18B...they are fun...no Joke!!

I'm an out of work mechanical engineer, Former Chrysler employee/driver. Loved mopars till prices got too stupid for the junk that was out there. Switched to Porsches and never looked back.

Always loved this hobby and the people involved, REALLY glad to find a home for my early car obsession. Hope to speak with y'all a LOT more....
ASSOCIATED OR NOTHING!!

freakofnature

Post by freakofnature »

names mike im 36 years old live in flanders new jersey have a 10t and a t4 both stock i also have a extreamly modifyed losi mrc that i comp with. im engaged to a lovely girl that lets me work on my cars in the living room, dining room, bedroom and also in my shop in my basement when i can find my bench lol. i have been in2 rc since there use to be a track and hoby shop named eagle raceway in flanders.

allaircooled
Approved Member

Post by allaircooled »

My name is Chris, I am a 35 yo wind turbine commissioner, the BIG ones! Anyways, I still have the original gold RC10 I purchased when I was 14 or so. I was obsessed with rc back then and I am starting to get that way again. I was looking around at the new cars and couldn't talk myself into one. I think I will stick with vintage!
Attachments
me.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

My name's Marc, I'm 42. I have a degree in Zoology but work in I.T. (network administrator); I play the drums and ice hockey, and love old muscle cars. I own an '86 Grand National in near-mint condition and a '70 Charger in far-from-mint condition, I'm currently restoring the interior at the moment. So, I'm probably a geek, but the least typical geek you'll find. :)

I was always fascinated with RC cars and went through quite a few of the "toy" variety before finally getting a hobby-grade car, The Frog. It seemed that no matter how much work and money I sunk into that thing, it never performed well. It sure was a looker, though! I wish I had some pics of it; it was black with lime green & royal blue stripes, which were complemented nicely by the blue aluminum sideguards. Sold it to some kid and never regretted it.

My second car was an Optima, I remember saving up forever to buy that, and I still have the $100 deposit receipt. LOL About 3 months ago I decided to get 'er running again with some upgrades & modern technology. I had almost enough parts for 2 additional complete cars, posted a 4-sale ad here but it generated zero interest--so I decided to build a second Optima, stay tuned for that build topic in the near future.

I'm glad I joined this particular forum. I checked out a few prior to this one, and even joined one, which turned out to be deader than the Lost City of Atlantis. I felt like the teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day Off when I asked a question: "Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?" :lol: The sound of crickets chirping grew deafening.

Cheers, and thanks to the guys here for sharing their knowledge & experience with those of us returning back to the hobby after 2 or more decades!
Attachments
In the Peruvian rainforest
In the Peruvian rainforest
Another kind of bashing
Another kind of bashing
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Well I am a bit overdue on this one:

I started R/C in the early 80's with a Wild Willy (still in my possetion) which led to a Hornet and Frog. Got my hands on an RC10CE during a visit to the US, and raced a bit on a tight budget. Then got into 1:8 2WD IC Pan cars, raced a second hand RC250 on many sweet tracks in Germany and Italy. After that became pricey (the switch to 1:8 4WD IC) started racing Pro10 with an RC10L Fiberglass that I ordered from the US via Towerhobbies and a friend that was a US Army service member. Worked for a Hobbyshop called "Modellbau Koch" in Augsburg Germany during my school years. Started running a 1:6 FG Marder (still have it too) at the largescale races. Due to cost, dabbled with the Touring cars and the Tamiya Eurocup - in the late 90's which was when I stopped racing.

Germany had a mandatory 1 year service in the German Bundeswehr (Army) at the time. So upon my 18th birthday I was able to join the US Army as Nato had an agreement, which enabled me to serve my time for the German Army with the US instead. Well 12 years later, and many great times and a few tours, I have been honorably discharged - Happily married to a Texan Woman and back in R/C.

I have to admit I work for what my Wife and I (as well as many others) call the "Enemy" - the Oil Buisness. I am an Offshore Service Technician for FMC Technologies out of Houston (avoid this craphole if you can).

Now my R/C consists of Pan Car and 1:8 buggy restorations. I do collect many, but mainly build, sell and supply racers / collectors in Europe that still run strong Pro10 235mm races.

I have too many to list but my highlights are:

Yokomo YRX-10
Yokomo YRX-12 (full option)
Trinity SB-10 (road Car)
Trinity EV-10 Deluxe
Trinity EV-10
Trinity "MCR" 1:12
TRC Lynx (with belt drive) - thanks to all that have helped with this car
RC10L FG (full option)
RC12LC (all stock)
HPI Super F1
HPI RS12G
HPI RC10L
Custom Works DD Intimidator

If anyone needs any pan car help or parts please let me know, I'll be glad to help out.

Oh, and my name is Maurice

Thank you
Attachments
Frontier Driller 2.JPG

N2Deep
Approved Member

Post by N2Deep »

Okay, since Maurice did his gig, I might as well too. I was first hooked on r/c when in summer of 1988 my older brother bought a radioshack Ferrari Testarosa. The Ferrari took an astonishing 4 C batteries and a 9 volt battery to get the darn thing rolling. Although it weighed a brick and a couple straws it was cool to see that it had differentials and had some sort of dampening device in the rear gearbox. I noticed that if I could get a Tyco 9.6 Volt battery pack to fit, maybe it would go faster. Its been so long ago but I wasn't sure if the battery pack fried the circuit board or if I ever had the chance to reattach the wires again to make it work. Christmas was around the corner and RadioShack had the red Ferrari F40 for its toy lineup. Long story short, I kinda made it my own and ruined it again. My brother wanted to squeeze my neck but being his little brother....I was going to tell my mom if he did. Radio Control Car Action Magazine was also a bad influence. I spent hours reading the stories and daydreamed about the hottest cars...RC10 buggy, RC10L, RC12LW, Customworks Dominator etc. I was obsessed so one day I went to my dad and negotiated with him. I concluded that I never got paid for all the chores I did around the house but if he would buy me a radio control car....he could rest assure that my grades would be met at high standards and the chores were my priority. Before I knew it, I came out of the hobby store with a Tamiya Toyota Tom's 1/12th scale Master Racing kit, a battery pack, an Aristo Craft 15 minute charger and an MRC pistol grip radio system. I was the happiest kid at that time.

Current status would be that I am married to my lovely wife who puts me in check all the time in regards to my hobbies. I am a carpenter by trade and I specialize in finish trim work. Woodworking is also a passion of mine so furniture and joinery is where I'm at besides R/C.

If I could be of any help to anyone, please feel free to pm me. I go by my middle name Yisrael so Shalom to everyone.

DW911
Approved Member

Post by DW911 »

Hello,
Real name Dave......Living in north central Ontario Canada. I've been out of the hobby for about 25-30 yrs (damn, that sounds so long :shock: )

In the late 80's I started a company called "strate racing" we made many RC parts including - chassis, shock towers, bumpers, foam motor covers, heat sinks, sponge tires as well as a bunch of stuff we imported - plastic rims, shinkwrap etc etc.
We sold our wares at most of the tracks in southern Ont and northern New York untill we had a fallout with a certain Canadian Importer/Distributor which caused us to discontinue production and developement of all RC products and concentrate in other areas. Six months later i sold my share of the company and left for the north.
When i left i took a dozen boxes of stock, some raw materials and all the templates, jigs, prototypes etc , which for the first time in about 15yrs i opened last night. (that sure brought back the memories :) )
So i have now read the rules of the site and i see the no selling untill a certain number of posts (which is cool with me as i've been involved witth forums since thier inception on the net and i understand the reasons) so i will try to post up quickly in case someone needs some of this stuff.

By the way: very cool site , which i found by doing a google seach on "composite craft" because i cut my finger on a sheet of quasi-isotropic carbo fiber on Thursday and though sombody somwhere must need this stuff :)

muck
Approved Member

Post by muck »

My name is Matt. The user name was a nick name i picked up in high school. I am surprised it stuck with me for so many years after. I still have friends who refer to me as Muck instead of my name..

I got into RC about 9 years ago. It was my way of surviving the desire to restore an old mopar. Kids keep my extra spending money at a low. As much as i may joke, they are worth it.
I currently have a VXL rustler that i am deciding whether to convert to a slash or just keep on trucking with it.. I am also i am watching for that perfect for me RC10. I recently picked up one on CL. Considering it's needs and my income i sold it.
Pics of some of the things i have had are here:
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p46/muck76/

Career wise, i was an auto tech and then decided to use that for side jobs and work for John Deere construction dealer as a a parts person. After 9 years of that i went back to college for a degree in electronics with a goal of biomedical. Economy here put all that on hold and i am back at my prior company with a different branch and a different manufacture. Got to feed the kids. I will say i do enjoy it a bit more, we are considerably busier than i was at JD.

thanks

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Hello everyone. My name is Russ, and I've been into RC cars at various levels since 1985. I used to race dirt oval back in the mid to late 80's, and even worked for a large hobby shop in Houston.
I am a retired Navy Chief, and currently live in Winter Haven, Fla. I haven't raced in about 10 years (when I tried pan cars), but I still like to tinker with cars, and cruise the street. Lately, I've been interested in restoring a first generation RC10 since I can't afford to restore a real muscle car. I've always felt the RC10 was the best car ever built, and found this site on accident while looking for info. I hope to meet some gold tub enthusiasts here, and swap ideas and memories.
Nice to meet everyone.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0