When did the "truggy" happen?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

clhuke64
Approved Member

Re: When did the "truggy" happen?

Post by clhuke64 »

The RC Car club here in Bend, Oregon just bult a Big new track and most of the cars are 1/8 nitro truggies, I'm not into them - "BUT" man they sure can take jumps !!! One member has a 1/8 brushless truggy and it sure can keep pace with the nitro cars (I might have to get a electric one some day ??)

RC10Talk
Approved Member

Post by RC10Talk »

The earliest mention of Truggy in R/C's that I can remember is the Krosho USA-1 Nitro.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

One word: Truggly
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I guess I am in the minority, I love my buggies but also like truggies, crawlers, helis, pan cars, uh ohhhhhh..... When I was younger and poor the truggy had more versatility to me when I could only have one car for racing, backyard fun, etc. So I guess that is where I got hooked.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Mugen (Sport-based) and Ultima ST-R (inferno-based iirc) were the first ones I think in the early-mid 90's. Basically 8th scale 4wd racers with truck bodies and slightly bigger wheels, which incidentally look a lot like todays 8th SC vehicles :mrgreen:

I think the first "modern" one was the lightning, just a few years back.

the comparison to MT's make sense... Truggies basically started selling when the T-maxx class "racers" realized their behemoths couldn't handle properly despite them throwing 1000's of green bills at them after all, and that any "true" 8th scale 4wd race chassis with big wheels would run circles around them at the track. That was the end of the T-maxx class and the beginning of modern truggy racing.
Paul

PS: Didn't know the "helmet racer" expression - very funny :lol: Around here in Europe, truggies never really took off, probably because full-size pickup trucks simply aren't sold around here so people can't really identify to that class.... SC isn't flying that well either, certainly not like in the US... People see mostly this as a fad they can't relate to. Our helmet racers are the 5th scale "drivers". These guys really, really, REALLY can't drive to save their lives, but they still floor it as hard as they can.

I'll take 2wd mod any day :D
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Lonestar wrote:PS: Didn't know the "helmet racer" expression - very funny :lol: Around here in Europe, truggies never really took off, probably because full-size pickup trucks simply aren't sold around here so people can't really identify to that class.... SC isn't flying that well either, certainly not like in the US... People see mostly this as a fad they can't relate to. Our helmet racers are the 5th scale "drivers". These guys really, really, REALLY can't drive to save their lives, but they still floor it as hard as they can.

I'll take 2wd mod any day :D
So true!! :lol:

I must admit - i've been mostly racing touring cars over the last few years & until recently had lost track of whats-what with off road racing.... that link to RC/Tech has cleared up my own confusion with what truggies actually are.... & yes they are Urrrrrgly!

Its a general observation, but it seems to me that there is becoming too many classes & even sub classes, its almost like this is contributing to killing off racing.... in times when people have less spare cash & there's a general down-turn in the hobby, it doesn't seem to be helping that of those racers that are involved & spending their money on the hobby are spread over such a wide spectrum of off & On-road classes that its rare that you turn up to a race meeting and actually have a large feild of competition... at a local club that I race at, you might get 60-70 drivers at a Saturday afternoon club meeting - but they are all spread over five different classes!

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I agree with the too many classes. Back in early 90's when I raced a lot at local level we had 2wd stock (6 cell pack only), modified (whatever you run) and 4wd stock and modified, same rules. And maybe a couple others but it was very simple to figure out and we usually had an A and B main of each. It can be very confusing now.

I know it was not a perfect sytem and some people "cheated" but we seemed to not take it too serious and sure the guys with most money dominated trophy scene but that seems the case now anyways. I knew as a poor kid I would always lose to X guy but if I did better than my last race I was happy.

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

In the early days of off road, racers realized that the fun "Monster Truck Class" which consisted of Tamiya Blackfoot trucks and the like could be dominated by an RC10 buggy conversion, and so the electric stadium truck class was born. Same deal, different scale.

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

Post by realoldschooldude »

arf wrote:In the early days of off road, racers realized that the fun "Monster Truck Class" which consisted of Tamiya Blackfoot trucks.......

We used to call that the "explodo-mundo class," as it was always a contest of attrition. We used to have to go out and clean up all the plastic bits and pieces after their heats.
ImageImage