neighbour killed my boomerang ! The resurrection

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: neighbour killed my boomerang !

Post by Lowgear »

Wow very nice! You should reproduce this and sell it as a kit. I would buy one. :) But yeah like jwscab suggested. I would try and mount the bottom of the rear gearbox better than using a single screw.

N2Deep
Approved Member

Post by N2Deep »

michi wrote:thank you very much. Very good news for me. There are a few sellers particular in the US with really low prices for boomerang parts.
I wonder why it is so difficult to get re-released Tamiya parts in Europe. Not only for the boomerang. The full range re-released stuff is awful hard to find. There should be millions guys like me who make a new start with their 80's hobby :D
A lot of collectors are in Europe, which means they collect and don't usually run them. This is especially true for the Tamiya brand.

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Hello !! Thank you for the nice comments. :P
Because of the mounting of the rear gear case, it is more stable than I expected. In the beginning I was building it the only way to center the object precisely. Now, with the clamp on the upper plate, the chassis is incredibly stiff. I tried to twist even and it is at least as stable as the original. The trick seems to be the top bracket. She takes seemingly 90% of the forces. It gets to that little gray part is a very tough material. I can therefore tighten the single screw very strong.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Nice job, it 's very hard to build something at home for this type of cars with their complex injection molded parts.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

N2Deep wrote:
michi wrote:thank you very much. Very good news for me. There are a few sellers particular in the US with really low prices for boomerang parts.
I wonder why it is so difficult to get re-released Tamiya parts in Europe. Not only for the boomerang. The full range re-released stuff is awful hard to find. There should be millions guys like me who make a new start with their 80's hobby :D
A lot of collectors are in Europe, which means they collect and don't usually run them. This is especially true for the Tamiya brand.
I would not make that generalization. Although there are many Collectors in Europe, many do run their vintage cars - and some have shelfers, just like over here.

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

This is a great project, very nice indeed. :D

I will post my hotshot poject when mine is done :)

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

Mr. ED wrote:Nice job, it 's very hard to build something at home for this type of cars with their complex injection molded parts.

you said it. It took me several attempts until finally, the distances were correct. In the beginning, the distance between the gears was not true, then the ground clearance was not right. :twisted: When I had this solved then, I had no steering that fits under the gearbox and so on and so on . I'm sure many of you know what I mean :P

@ tiger1
show us now what you've done so far. Maybe I can still steal ideas from you and install it in my Boomerang. :lol:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Looks good! Looking forward to seeing it vids of this thing running. You're kind of recreating some of the custom-build hotshot racers from the 80's - by the way, most of the heavily modded hotshots from back in the days were German!

There are tons of good shocks on the market today... There's one set I would not recommend though, the "Full chrome" yeah-racing ones. Some members of this site have had good experiences with them I think, I personnally hated them and found them both sticky AND unreliable (at least tamiya's yellow cva's are reliable...). At least they're cheap... Still I would not recommend spending too much cash on shocks for this car anyway as you will quickly reach the limits of the suspension design itself ;)

Good luck with the rest - looking good!
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

N2Deep
Approved Member

Post by N2Deep »

drbelleville wrote:
N2Deep wrote:
I would not make that generalization. Although there are many Collectors in Europe, many do run their vintage cars - and some have shelfers, just like over here.

From my experience I can say that. I have sold various Tamiya vehicles and I would say that most of them went overseas to Europe. In matter or fact the biggest Tamiya forum is located in Europe...called Tamiyaclub.com. In my mind my generalization is true....at any rate, I'll open up a new thread for this matter. By the way, the build and resurrection of the Boomerang was excellent. Please keep us updated on the finale and tells us about the performance.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

N2Deep wrote:

From my experience I can say that. I have sold various Tamiya vehicles and I would say that most of them went overseas to Europe. In matter or fact the biggest Tamiya forum is located in Europe...called Tamiyaclub.com. In my mind my generalization is true....at any rate, I'll open up a new thread for this matter. By the way, the build and resurrection of the Boomerang was excellent. Please keep us updated on the finale and tells us about the performance.
I appologize, I did get a little "bent" out of shape. Just been on edge as of lately. To all reading this sorry for acting like an A**!

Not trying to Hi-Jack the thread michi. Great Build and very resourceful.

Wollte aber mal wissen in welcher umgebung du wohnst?

Edited: 10-3-10 for un-necessary remark.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: neighbour killed my boomerang ! The resurrection

Post by Mr. ED »

I think there's no need for a dispute: 'generalization' is a term which implies it's a statement based on limited knowledge and extrapolated to a larger field. The definition already implies it wont apply to all.

I have had the same experience with Taimiya re-re spares though in Europe. Very tough to find them on shelves... can't say I have tried the european ebay branches to see if anyone is splitting up kits.

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

I'm sorry if I have created confusion with my statement of Tamiya parts in Europe. Could be that it is because I have not translated correctly. I only meant that if you look on eBay for parts re-release, it is now almost only seller overseas ( I count the UK with this :D ) normally the offer is regulated by demand. So I asked myself whether it specifically in Germany too few people are interested in the older models.

But let us rather have fun and talk about the progress with the Boomerang. I'm really excited about the firing motivating comments from you all. If I find time tonight, I'll submit some photos. I have indeed done something at the weekend.
The front axle is ready. I made a shock tower and adjusting the steering. I am very curious if this solution to the wobbly front suspension of the Boomerang was ever tried. I do not have a large selection of machines and I've been looking for something that I could use, without great cost and processing. I found after long search, a very promising combination. The new front axle is made completely unchanged parts of Kyosho Ultima and Tamiya TA01.

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Right, focus on this great Boomerang project :lol:

michi
Approved Member

Post by michi »

I'm back ! :D As promised, the pictures of the front axle. I used Ultima suspensions and the TA01 steering knuckles. Both matches without having to rework something! The drive-bones come from a Hotshot 2. I thought these were the same as the Boomerang, but they are about 1mm shorter and work in this combination better than the originals. Could be coincidence. The shock tower is made by hand and later worked even better. The dampers are 70mm long and are soon replaced by others. The colors do not please me and I have not the right sleeves to fix them up correctly. But they are good to measure the distances and see the ground clearance. And YEAAH !! The suspension works completely neutral. Just as I wanted it. The straight line is not changed during compression. 8) Check it out !
Attachments
PA043461.JPG
PA043459.JPG
PA043458.JPG
PA043460.JPG

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

These front arm mod is excellent. I would love to do the same for my hotshot but sourcing ultima arms is more than a challenge to me.

The real problem is that I would be left with 2 sets of hotshot front arms in my parts bin... :lol: