Tecnacraft "Nice Set of Wheels" Ad

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Tecnacraft "Nice Set of Wheels" Ad

Post by shodog »

bearrickster wrote:Yea but the guy who owns JPS is a jerk, I ordered some wheels he said he had in stock and he jerked me around for over a year. all he had to do was cut the drive pin slot in the back and I never got them.
Totally agree with you here. I struggled for over a year to get some wheels out of him also. I even told him that I would take ten sets of the champ 500 and mesh styles but he was unwilling to cut the designs into the blanks he said he already had made. Must be nice to not need the business

The problem with any of these efforts to get tecnacraft wheels made is simply the cost. I looked into it with the original shop who made them. The price per set they would cost you would hardly cover production costs unless your doing a very large run. In addition, repro sets would likey sell in the $100-$150 range and not the $300-$500 range they have been selling for. It's a losing proposition, that's why it hasn't been done.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I still think he should have contacted Toyranosaur as I'm sure he could make them. It would just be a matter of price.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

scr8p wrote:this endevor is never gonna materialize. just like mip coming back out with the 4x4 rc10 conversion. so, don't get your hopes up..............
I totally agree. People are attracted to the idea of the re-re but ultimately it is just not cost effective (as MIP have clearly decided too)...

mrhemi1971
Approved Member

Post by mrhemi1971 »

That really is a shame, I would have loved a set for "old goldie"
ASSOCIATED OR NOTHING!!

Wyattriot77
Approved Member

Post by Wyattriot77 »

Here is the 1/4 scale wheel with actually liscensed Goodyear Tire I put together after buying the single Tecnacraft 1/4 scale wheel off Ebay a few years ago...As soon as I got it, I polished and built the clock into the back of it... I love this thing.
Attachments
DSC01345.JPG
DSC01346.JPG

Wyattriot77
Approved Member

Post by Wyattriot77 »

After looking at the pics, please excuse the dust as I didn't notice it at first...lol,

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

I would have loved a set, and it is a shame that they would cost so much to produce! That being said, I would have only bought them if they were - "Made in the U.S.A". Wishful thinking, I guess! :(

tony13b
Approved Member

Post by tony13b »

:shock: :shock: That Tecnacraft clock looks awesome nice job :shock: :shock: I'm still looking for a 1.4 scale wheel my self :(
ebay-ee002801c

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

tony13b wrote: I'm still looking for a 1.4 scale wheel my self :(
Good luck, I've never found any myself and I even went to the source.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

so I looked at the price of some bar stock (6061 T6511 tempered) aluminum at mcmaster-carr. for a small peice, 12" long, 2.25" diameter, out the door is under 30 bucks. Imagine the pricing at volume........

any of these guys that have the CNC equipment already would need to set up a few profiles, that might take.....a few days with the software available today?????

once the CNC is running, the effective cost is pretty much the power to run it, and tool jigs and cutting bits/coolant. then after that, the guy(s) running the machines are loading material in and out of the fixtures and machines and standing around waiting for the machine to finish.

I don't see how they wouldn't make profit selling a set of wheels at 100-150 bucks, ESPECIALLY if the CNC equipment is paid off. If the equipment is leased, that could skew this picture quite a bit.

If these guys have CNC equipment that is idle....they are losing money.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

jwscab wrote: once the CNC is running, the effective cost is pretty much the power to run it, and tool jigs and cutting bits/coolant. ....I don't see how they wouldn't make profit selling a set of wheels at 100-150 bucks....If these guys have CNC equipment that is idle....they are losing money.
I agree to an extent but you're leaving out all the other costs associated with a brick and mortar machine shop. Employee pay, shop rent, utilities, profit, Etc. It costs a lot to run a machine shop. I think the only way you could make money on this venture is if you work at a machineshop, can do the CAD drawings and CNC programing then run a few sets of these after hours. I also think it would be hard to get $100-$150 on a set of reproduction wheels

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, this line of thinking is definitely considering that the guy making these can spin them up as side work, say running sets off on the weekend or something when the other business projects are down.....definitely not as a full time gig paying for all the other liabilities.....I don't think anybody is assuming that this would be a full time job....

I know I would pick up a set of technacraft looking wheels for a hundred bucks.....IF they looks like those killer spoked ones....

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Wyattriot77 wrote:Here is the 1/4 scale wheel with actually liscensed Goodyear Tire I put together after buying the single Tecnacraft 1/4 scale wheel off Ebay a few years ago...As soon as I got it, I polished and built the clock into the back of it... I love this thing.
Lost of words.....except: "WOW"!!! 8) 8) 8)

mrhemi1971
Approved Member

Post by mrhemi1971 »

If they make 'em I'll take a few sets....
ASSOCIATED OR NOTHING!!

N2Deep
Approved Member

Post by N2Deep »

so looks like Joe was a fraud hey? he thought that he could come out to scam a whole bunch of us so that he could make thousands? someone please tell me.