== Who the Heck Are You? ==

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rraeford
Approved Member

Re: == Who the Heck Are You? ==

Post by rraeford »

My name is Romie Lucas. I live in Savannah, Ga. I raced R/C cars (off-road and on-road) from the early 1980s until the early 1990s. After about a 5 year layoff, my team member and I raced gas on-road cars for a couple of years before hanging it up again.

I tend to be a pack rat with my hobby stuff but I always sold my R/C stuff while it still had some value left in it. As a result, I have very little of the equipment I used to run. I do still have a momento or two laying about.

My first car (pictured below – all cleaned up and rebuilt) was an RC12E. It's the only car I still have. Over the years I have raced almost every brand of car I can think of other than Traxxas and Duratrax (I don't have anything against these brands just never got around to them). First off-road car was an RC10, second was a Kyosho Optima. From there I can't remember. I was fortunate to attend 3 national off-road events in my racing days but never made anything close to an A main.

I came across a fairly early RC10 completely by accident about 4 years ago. I won an eBay auction for a Futaba FTP-3PG radio and the seller wrote and told me he'd thrown in an old off-road. I was expecting a beat up Tamiya car but when the box arrived, there was the radio (absolutely like new). Also was an absolutely like new RC10 and it was free!

So now I'm dabbling in stuff I always enjoyed and trying to put together a few vintage runners just for my own entertainment. I enjoy seeing all of the projects here and hearing stories about the old days.

rraeford
Attachments
My RC12e with graphite axle and RC12i front bumper
My RC12e with graphite axle and RC12i front bumper
My free RC10
My free RC10

wyattroa
Approved Member

Post by wyattroa »

Im a 25 year old paramedic . I injured my back last december 23 last year and have not been able to work since. My doctors have pretty much told me my career is over. I have been into RC cars since i was 5 years old. My cousin had a original rc10 that won my heart over and made my mom hate hobby shops the rest of her life. Soon after that i saved up and got my rc10t. I now own both my truck and my cousins and are in the process of making them drivable(rc10 is driving now).

I have had mutliple 1/5 scale cars.. none currently. current Inventory is rc10, rc10t, Savage flux, Mini e-revo, Tamiya tt-01, Tamiya toyota hilux, and rc18mt.
robert

captaindemo17

Post by captaindemo17 »

Hello, I am jeff and have been into the hobby for about 15 or so yrs. I currently have quite a bit of vintage losi. I used to race losi back in the day and am working on a few resto projects. Cant wait till i get enough posts to buy and sell on here as i am looking to part with a few cars. thats about it for my end.

Kayne
Approved Member

Post by Kayne »

Hello everybody I'm Matt.(middle name is Kayne) I live in Austin originally from San Jose Ca. I'm in to r/c cars,STAR WARS,building motorcycles.Always wanted an RC 10 when I was a kid but could not afford them so I had to settle for cheap stuff that I drove into the ground.About two months ago I was messing with my AYK and started thinking about the 10.Hopped on ebay and found out that my dream was still alive.I want to thank who ever it was that created the website it is awesome.
Attachments
7523918294_ORIG.jpeg
My trooper armor I put together
7523918294_ORIG.jpeg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
7523918294_ORIG.jpeg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
I built the bike and my dog and I posed with it
I built the bike and my dog and I posed with it
Matt

Drive It Like You Stole It!

NB25
Approved Member

Post by NB25 »

I'm Nick, I'm 31 and got my first RC car ( a Grasshopper) when I was 9. I always wanted an RC10 but couldn't afford one when I was younger, so now I have a couple. I have a blackpan that I restored, a TQ10 that I am going to rob parts from for my next build. I'm from Ohio.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

My name is Brian and I'm a 39yo geologist living in the Pacific Beach area of San Diego CA. I have a growing RC collection, but so far they all fit in my sig below. I raced a few times a LONG time ago, and not all that successfully..I think I remember one B main win to my resume...

Wrenching on RC cars is now what I do later at night after the wife hits the hay. Keeps my away from the idiot box. No kids or pets yet. This is on a train to Prague last year..

- Brian -

My Gallery

Jeep-Power
Approved Member

Post by Jeep-Power »

Currently 38 years old & Living in North Plainfield, NJ -- I was born & raised in NJ--

Happily married

1 child-- 11 months

I initially Went to school for Carpentry/woodworking & then on to Woodworking /Furnituremaking. I am now a self employed Hearing Aid Dispenser / Optician (I ended up in taking over the family business)--

Have always owned & driven & maintained Jeeps-- The '62 CJ-5 is still on the road, the '84 CJ-7is getting a YJ frame & 1 ton running gear. The daily driver right now is an '08 4 door JK Rubicon.

We have a sufficiently outfitted wood & metal shop in the basement-- this allows me to make pretty much whatever I need. I am still baffled that my wife happily puts up with it. I guess she likes to know where I am, and that's either surfing Jeep/RC/machine websites & Ebay or in the shop / garage tinkering on something. I've been a tinker all my life-- it started with a Lego obsession...

The R/C obsession started back in Highschool (grad. '89), when my younger brother got a Hornet for is birthday. I saved up & bought a Wild One. The Wild One lasted about a year, before it was a cobbled together pile of broken/worn out parts. It was obvious that I needed something more serious/durable, so I picked up a used RC-10 from a fellow club member (I co-founded the 4-H R/C Car club in Somerset County , NJ, back in the 80's). I built/bashed/raced that car for years, as money allowed. The obsession died out about 8 years ago, after being off & on. Recently a Jeep buddy of mine bought a Axial based crawler & I just had to get one too-- it has been a full-on relapse since then! The list of running cars: Axial based 2.2 'tuber', Clod based 'Super' , Blackfoot, Clodbuster, The 'Fun Buggy' RC10.

It is great to have found this site and to learn so much history on the R/C that I spent so much time with over the past 20 years-- Thanks!!! 8)

`
TallPeter ~ Hopeless Gearhead
Early Goldpans 'Fun Buggy' RC10C B44.3 RC8B3.1 RC12l 10LS Pro10

i crash cars
Approved Member

Post by i crash cars »

I am Darren, I live in Jacksonville, FL. My RC10T was my first and only hobby grade RC that I purchased when I was around 13. I had several of the crappy Niko and Tyco RC's when I was younger. I had a friend who had a Tamiya Blackfoot and later a RC10, I was hooked. I saved my allowance and money from doing odd jobs for the neighbors for about a year when I bought my RC10T Sport. The sport was the stripper model- mechanical speed control, bushings, etc... I slowly upgraded to full bearings and added a Novak Rooster ESC, HPI 5-Star Wheels. As I got older the truck got less and less attention but I never got rid of it, but did lose things like the radio, charger, and batteries along the way. I recently found the truck up in my attic a few weeks ago and after finding this site, I am fully committed to rebuilding it and bashing it locally once again.

I drive a '00 Tacoma TRD 4WD. Its older but runs great, but it wont accomodate my growing family. I am in the market for a Japanese VIP style car (LS430, Legend, etc...).

Doomed
Approved Member

Post by Doomed »

My name is Dana and I am in Omaha, Ne. I play with computers for a living and have been into RC since I bought a Grasshopper back in the '80's sometime...
Attachments
me.jpg

tony13b
Approved Member

Post by tony13b »

Hi there everyone I've been a member now a little over a year, I am 35 years old I've been in to RC sins I was 11 or 12 electric,gas,off road,rock crawler,
on road,Tamiya,kyosho,Associated,losi,BMT,serpent,Mugen,ofna,HPI,etc. It funny tho I've only had one RC10 when I was a kid and it was cause my friend gave it to me :lol:
I'm a crane operator for 12 years now,I used to work as a mechanic but you have to rob people to make money so left that,I'm single living in Linden NJ with my girl no kids yet just my bulldog Max
Me on the Chopper
Me and my Girl at the Shakedown at E-town 2009
This is my son Max :lol:
ebay-ee002801c

Toasted Coastie
Approved Member

Post by Toasted Coastie »

I'm Ron. On the left in this picture. I drive boats for the USCG Reserves, and work for a large company in Mass. I'm "restoring" a Yokomo YZ-10, and have a Traxxas Rustler my son runs.

FlashGordon1970

Post by FlashGordon1970 »

Hello everyone, my Name is Darryl. But some of you all may know me as flashgordon1 on clodtalk. I am 39 years old. I am a truck driver by trade,but I am working for Aries Transportation Services,Inc. hear in Buffalo New York (for now)!

I have been in to this hobby for over 15yrs or so. My very first r/c car is a Stock Clod Buster,and at this time.I am working on making this truck into a racer. Please see this link :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: http://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22762

drewsdesigns

Post by drewsdesigns »

Yoo whats up, Im Drew from Sacramento! The land of Francis' and Dassonville's! I have been around r/c since birth lol Raised with a xl2p in hand.. I'm probably one of the younger members on this site at 22yrs! lol.. I enjoy racing 2wd off-road, and recently gotten in to drifting. I also do custom painting, so if you are looking for a painter give me a ring!! Drews Designs (916)-690-1264

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

howdy all,

im james, currently an ex-pat living in japan

my history of rc is boats mostly, my grandfather ran a shop with his own ic boats (Full Ahead Marine)

cars wise Ive gone through a few

RC10 team (carbon chassis, steath box, team shocks)
RC10t
Ultima
Optima
Cat XL
Big Bear
Wild Willy
Tyrell 6 wheeler etc
YR-4M2
TRC somthing, thier entry kit

the boats was another matter...far too many to play with.

these days, being in japan ive been re-collecting a lot of things, slowly restoring -

Wild Willy 1
Big Bear
Monster Beetle
AYK bunbun racer (just had to have it, nice and quirky - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3447/3922740763_a629840330.jpg (not mine, but to illustrate)

my list of cars, boats and motors to get is extensive. and being in japan, only kyosho, tamiya, yokomo are easy to get...asso/losi are near non-existent here so after I get 25-ish posts, i'll be trawling those FS forums :lol:

a lot of my early days were reading RCCA / Kyosho / Tamiya mags and brochures...hating the fact I was a kid and had no money to get it all. different story now though :D

so yeah, thats me...if anyone needs any specific rc stuff from japan, let me know.
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

rcguy5
Approved Member

Post by rcguy5 »

Hey Guys,

My name is Mike Bartino from Toronto, Ontario. I have had an interest in RC since I was a kid snooping around and playing with my uncles rc stuff. I mainly fly turbine jets and other airplanes at the moment and also have a serious interest in cars, mainly vintage.

So far I've got.

RC10 B4 which I race

Optima NIB
Advance NIB
Boxer NIB
RC10 #6010 NIB
RC10 #6016 to be restored as a runner (doesn't need much more than a good cleaning)

I definitely plan to get more RC10' and build a Halsey replica and then maybe a custom RC10.