2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-19TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bscotti
Approved Member

Re: 2010 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS OFFICIAL THREAD• SEPT 16-

Post by bscotti »

tecnica2001 wrote:
bscotti wrote:Oh I'll be there stinking up the 4wd fun. New weapon this year that I hope will be more competitive ...
Let me guess?? Shuey?? :lol: :lol:

I'll be racing my Kyosho Lazer ZX, it's a tank, I know :roll: , but it's something different.... :mrgreen:
Yah, that's right. How'd you guess ... :roll:
Classics rule, moderns drool

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

civilguy wrote: I've said this before... the idea of getting the old buggies together on the track like bitd is gone, replaced by how close can we get to the cutoff to get an edge.
I think that the cutoff should be pushed back a few years. short arm 6-gear '10s and 5-link jrx being the most modern you can run, no stealth, no h-arms. To me there seems to be little difference between a b-4 and a highly race prepped rpm/worlds front end rc10 with a stealth. one of the racers even commented how his suspension geometry and setup was essentially the same between his rpm 10T and his t-4 that he raced there regularly.
XX cars should be altogether disallowed as there is too much room for using much more modern parts, or even later versions of the car.

Just my opinion.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Freddie, you are one of the nicest racers I have ever met and your family is fantastic! Many of the people I have met on these forums and at the VONats are terrific people too. I just don't feel the need to make the drive when I have 3-4 tracks within 60 minutes of me and every one of them will let me run my vintage stuff in with the modern buggys and trucks. ;)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

civilguy wrote:My 2 cents... it was 100 bucks but I had to pay for other people's healthcare. :wink:
i don't care who you are, that's funny right there. :lol: :lol:

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

aconsola wrote:
civilguy wrote: I've said this before... the idea of getting the old buggies together on the track like bitd is gone, replaced by how close can we get to the cutoff to get an edge.
I think that the cutoff should be pushed back a few years. short arm 6-gear '10s and 5-link jrx being the most modern you can run, no stealth, no h-arms. To me there seems to be little difference between a b-4 and a highly race prepped rpm/worlds front end rc10 with a stealth. one of the racers even commented how his suspension geometry and setup was essentially the same between his rpm 10T and his t-4 that he raced there regularly.
XX cars should be altogether disallowed as there is too much room for using much more modern parts, or even later versions of the car.

Just my opinion.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Jeff. But it is just the nature of the beast when it comes to racing, I guess. You will always have people pushing the limits of the equipment to TRY and go faster. How many RC10's BITD show up at the track completely bone stock? There were always outlaw motors, trailing arm conversions, belt drive trannies, pushed/zapped cells, aluminum this, graphite that. All in hopes to make the OE cars go faster. That has been part of the history of RC just as well as the original gold tub or the SRB's. The pressure doesn't need to be there, as this is a vintage "meet" more than just a race. But the competitiveness between the racers will always be there.

I hope that we can get enough people to show up so that we could segregate the 2wd's into a more period correct class. Split up the earlier buggies from the later ones. As long as you have enough entries to fill each class, I don't see a problem with that. But again, that will be up to the race director to decide. The amount of qualifiers that were run last year wasn't a problem for me except for the sheer number of cars that I entered. I was busy, but it was my own fault for that. Still I must say it was the most fun racing that I have had all year and I look forward to gouing back this year.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Brandon- I agree that is the nature of racing, but my argument from the beginning (you can search threads from before the 1st VONats) is that in the early 1990s there was a huge jump in the design of the buggys and the materials used. The basic layout of 2wd and 4wd buggys raced today can be traced directly to that era.
It's not that people shouldn't try to get an edge or find the best hop-ups... imho the cutoff date has always been wrong for 'vintage' RC. To me, a buggy from 1994 is just old. ;)
And just to repeat, because I have kids and am used to that, I can race less than half an hour from home against the newer stuff. :)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I hear ya brother.

I have racing available to me about an hour from the house as well. And I am free to run any old thing I decide to. But the Vonats is still less pressure than around here for a regular club race. And for the most part, I would say 90% of the people who attend the Vonats are there for the same reason. Common vintage interests and lots of BSing about the old days. Oh, and finding good deals on parts :mrgreen:

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

What year did the losi XXT come out??

What about the Kyosho Pro X??

What about the Ultima Pro??
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

XXT 1995
Pro-X 1996 (I think)
Ultima Pro 1989

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Check this out... The Manual for the Pro X says 1994 and the Box Says, Copyright 1993...
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=43561

Just throwing it out there... :mrgreen:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

tazz888
Approved Member

Post by tazz888 »

I'm just running my 10T again this year. I was planning on running the 10T in truck, a Cat 2000 in 4wd and a Cougar 2000 in 2wd, but that would be to much wrenching. I attend this race to have a good time an hang out with all the cool people who attend. I'm looking forward to pitting across from Brandon and Hoptie again this year!!

Maybe bearrickster will make it out this year. I'd like for him to see his old 10T in action!! 8)

Winning Best Paint and the truck B main last year was great. Looking to improve this time around.
Ron DePoto
Team Driver:
Schumacher / Speedpassion / Core RC / Express Motorsports / Dialed Inc. / ROAR Region 1 Director

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

So I've been thinking about this since last years race and I guess its as good of a time as any to put it out there and see if there's REALLY enough interest in it. If the VONATS was to have a separate class for "racing" and one for "vintage"... call them what you want, I was thinking Pro or Open for the "racing" guys and Heritage or Masters for the truer vintage guys. I not only want Jeff to come but it troubles me when I hear that someone doesn't want to come because its not what they're looking for... ESPECIALLY when they're exactly along the lines of who I DO WANT to come. If you guys were looking to race and also run vintage cars how many of you would run both or who would commit to Masters or something along those lines?

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Awesome idea Erich, I think a little seperation of the diehard racers and guys that just want to put their vintage stuff on the track is a good thing. I would like to see an "early race" class too, you know short arm 6 gear rc10's and original Ultima's battling it out.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

That'll be a cool Idea, take it even further and limit the class to a silver can motor(cheap), a low mah battery pack, and completely stock trim...that'll be nice to watch....:D as someone suggested, call it "Box Stock Class."

How many entries would be needed to make it a class??

Raul Garcia
Approved Member

Post by Raul Garcia »

Erich Reichert wrote:So I've been thinking about this since last years race and I guess its as good of a time as any to put it out there and see if there's REALLY enough interest in it. If the VONATS was to have a separate class for "racing" and one for "vintage"... call them what you want, I was thinking Pro or Open for the "racing" guys and Heritage or Masters for the truer vintage guys. I not only want Jeff to come but it troubles me when I hear that someone doesn't want to come because its not what they're looking for... ESPECIALLY when they're exactly along the lines of who I DO WANT to come. If you guys were looking to race and also run vintage cars how many of you would run both or who would commit to Masters or something along those lines?
I thought that was the "Classics" class already? :|