Cutting parts for my R/C cars.

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: Cutting parts for my R/C cars.

Post by mikedealer »

thats actually a pretty cool sander, i have a craftsmen belt sander i use, but i am thinking to get one of these now too, nice

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB
Approved Member

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Would an Associated graphite chassis hold up after being cut this way or would it fray? I have one that's kinda beat, but I could definitely get enough good area to make some oval shock towers. I would think it would, but want to see if anyone knows for sure before I destroy it.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Would an Associated graphite chassis hold up after being cut this way or would it fray? I have one that's kinda beat, but I could definitely get enough good area to make some oval shock towers. I would think it would, but want to see if anyone knows for sure before I destroy it.
If the chassis is not delaminated it will work ok, you need to seal the edges after you cut the towers with some CA glue.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB
Approved Member

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Thanks for mentioning that. I definitely would not have thought about that part.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

with out sounding like a dumb ass CA GLUE IS THAT JUST SUPER GLUE
ok so i will admit my ass is dumb that's why i sit on it

great work btw mr vice

i sorta fiddling with my laminate trimmer at the mo thinking about template's for shock towers i don,t know how well it will cut CF but g10 should be simple
regards Paul

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

yes Ca is hobby grade super glue
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

treehugger wrote:with out sounding like a dumb ass CA GLUE IS THAT JUST SUPER GLUE
ok so i will admit my ass is dumb that's why i sit on it

great work btw mr vice

i sorta fiddling with my laminate trimmer at the mo thinking about template's for shock towers i don,t know how well it will cut CF but g10 should be simple
regards Paul
A laminate trimmer might work; let us know how that works for you. I have experimented with different tools but I end up going back to the jewelry scroll saw. I lets me make very clean cuts and that help reduce the amount of sanding and finishing on the parts. I use the same tools for G-10 or CF and the main difference is CF takes more time and more blades.

I think most people sit on their dumb ass so don’t fell bad. :lol:

Thanks for the comments.

BTW, This is the car I made these parts for.
My Kyosho Turbo Ultima

FlashGordon1970

Post by FlashGordon1970 »

m_vice wrote:This is a quick video on how I cut some front towers for my Kyosho Turbo Ultima.

I design and draw everything on CAD and print on regular paper. Taped to material (2.5mm thick G-10 fiberglass sheet) with carpet tape and cut using a jewelry hand scroll saw with 0/2 blades (I use like 5, some broke some go dull).

After cutting I use a Dremel and drum sand all the edges and to finish I hand file to refine the part. Finally drill holes and counter sink where needed.

It probable took me +/- 3 hrs to make all 3 parts (front and rear towers and a chassis top plate). Some minutes got lost in thinking. :D

Thank you for watching.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z78GN3A9AXk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z78GN3A9AXk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Ultima-01-03.jpg
Ultima-01-05.jpg
Ultima-01-06.jpg
Ultima-01-07.jpg
Ultima-01-08.jpg
Would this also work on cutting fiberglass?

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

yes same process

paul

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

treehugger wrote:yes same process

paul
X2 :D

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

m_vice wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Would an Associated graphite chassis hold up after being cut this way or would it fray? I have one that's kinda beat, but I could definitely get enough good area to make some oval shock towers. I would think it would, but want to see if anyone knows for sure before I destroy it.
If the chassis is not delaminated it will work ok, you need to seal the edges after you cut the towers with some CA glue.
I wonder how well clear nail polish would work? Whenever I use CA glue I tend to end up sticking everything together including my fingers. :P

FlashGordon1970

Post by FlashGordon1970 »

Lowgear wrote:
m_vice wrote:
I wonder how well clear nail polish would work? Whenever I use CA glue I tend to end up sticking everything together including my fingers. :P
treehugger wrote:yes same process

paul
RE: :arrow: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16706 :arrow: http://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23967

Now I know that this an old post but I had to post it because of the pro and cons of this subject. Would this work on what you was talking about?

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I've been thinking about doing some light fabricating... Does anyone think that a router table could do fiberglass and CF cleanly?

I guess I'm asking whther I should ask my wife for a router table/router, a drill press, or a rotozip. I've never done any FG or CF before, but when I tried mock ups w/ aircraft ply, my jigsaw never leaves a good looking result.

Thnaks!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

jwscab wrote:i usually use a hacksaw for all rough cuts, then follow up with files. I'll use a drill at the point of acute angles, or within an enclosed cut. goes very quickly.

the other thing i tend to do is drill the holes first, rather than after the shape is cut. this way, the holes are all 'true' in location, since the outside shape is pretty much irrelevant, if the cuts aren't perfect, it won't affect alignments.
That's how I did it too, when I made custom rear shock towers for the Marui Galaxy project. I put masking tape on the graphite with the shape of the template drawn on it. Once the basic shape was hack-sawed & Dremeled out, I used a variety of needle files to reach the final shape. Probably more time consuming, but gets the job done. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I'm aware of the G10 and FR4 from Mcmaster and smallparts.com, but what do you guys think of this? From a skimboard website I found that texalium has a little more flex than full CF, but still stronger than FG. I like the color options...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-ALL-TEXALIUM-SHEET-6IN-X-14-5IN-X-3-32IN-d-b-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0a545661QQitemZ180561925729QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories