Composite Craft Oval RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Composite Craft Oval RC10

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

This car is technically my first RC10 which was at one time a TQ10. I think the only thing actually left from that car is the tranny. It has been thru I'd say 10 conversions since I bought 20+ years ago. I hadn't wrenched on it in a year or so and it felt pretty good workin' on it today. :D
I actually found this site when I was searching to find out what chassis this was. I think my first post was asking that question. The general consensus was Composite Craft, but I only had one small pic. That's also the day I realized that my knowledge of RC10s was nothing compared to 99% of the people that belong to this forum. :shock: :lol: That's fine with me because I can look at pics of vintage r/c all day(and often do). I always raced oval when I was younger and the LHS that I worked at was the only track around and was of course oval. Concrete oval to be exact. I couldn't technically work there for the first few years because I was too young, but I made good money building kits for people that either didn't know how, or didn't want to take the time. It was pretty sweet because I got to build just about every kit imaginable. It also funded my racing. Of course, even when I officially started working there I got paid mostly in parts. Gearbox and 10L were about all I ever raced consistently. At some point I ran every class, but gearbox was always my favorite. I sucked big time because I had(and still do :lol: )terrible concentration. I really just liked working on cars and maybe even more than that tuning motors. I made some fairly decent side money at that too. :mrgreen: Nowadays, that is pretty much a lost/forgotten art with the advent of brushless motors. :cry: . I still like doing it though. I'm also a huge hypocrite and have a lot of brushless stuff. It is kinda nice in a lot of ways. Anyway...I had planned on running this car with a 6gear at the vintage on-roads, but my mom's 62nd b-day is that weekend and she's retiring. It would, however, be some beautiful irony if I missed her retirement party to do the very thing that she worked so hard all those years to support when I was younger. Today was more of a test to see if this car went back together the way I remembered it. I have a lot of clean up still to do on it and some parts I want to switch out. I'll update it as I go. I already have a pretty good idea of where I want to go with it, but as always feel free to INPUT! You will never hurt my feelings and I like to know what other people think, good or bad. I plan on new shock towers and arms for starters. I wanted Andy's, but will probably just settle for RPM. I have a bunch of Lunsford stuff somewhere that I need to dig up for steering and turnbuckles. I'm going to go to short shocks all the way around too. The Platinums will not be used, I just have them on there 'cause I always thought they were cool. Sorry, for rambling(as always), but here are some before(rear motor) and after(mid motor). This chassis was designed for a 6 gear mid or rear, but I drilled for Stealth when I bought it.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Composite Craft Oval RC10

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Holy Jesus, that's a lot of text! That is a Rayborn front end on that chassis, I have one similar--but with battery slots

On a side note, you aren't roomates with a guy named Matthew John are you?

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

:shock: WOW, copy paste, copy paste... :lol:
nice looking car Ken. What body do you plan on running?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Holy Jesus, that's a lot of text! That is a Rayborn front end on that chassis, I have one similar--but with battery slots

On a side note, you aren't roomates with a guy named Matthew John are you?
:lol: Yeah, I got a little carried away. My daughter was getting antsy with me working on the car and was ready to play. With her tugging on me I kept losing my point, so I just kept typing and then realized that I was way off point. :? Scr8p said Rayborn when I first posted it way back when, but it didn't sound familiar. I just had kind of a distant picture of it back then though. I should never have doubted his powers... :shock: :lol: . As far as body, I'm not sure. I'm starting to race dirt oval again so I'm hoping to get just a regular 2wd open buggy class going if I can get anyone interested. It kinda looks like a Rat Rod right now. New hardware, towers, shocks(just need to be built) and new wheels and tires should really improve it. I've laid down about $500 total in the last 2 weeks getting racing equipment back into stock so I'm trying to do this w/o spending too much all at once. I will force myself to stop typing now... :oops: :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Reggie! that started my old WOUNDS bleedin AGAIN !!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: