Help w/ new car

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dvalleli

Help w/ new car

Post by dvalleli »

So I thinking about adding to the rc arsenal. Since digging out the old rc10 a few months ago, I am completely hooked again. Also, my 8 yr old is tired of 'sharing' (so am I ;) Problem is, I don't know what to buy. I'm pretty sure I want another 1/10 scale buggy, even though all I'm doing is bashing around the beach and dirt road here, and a truck (short-course) would probably be a lot of fun; for some reason I just love buggies. What's your opinion of what I should get? B4? GV2 Pro? Bandit? eBay vintage RPM worlds type rc10?

What does everyone think of the short course trucks? Is it time to consider one of those?

Ahhhh decisions, decisions.... But what a nice problem to have!

Dave

wts873
Approved Member

Re: Help w/ new car

Post by wts873 »

For bashing, you cant beat a slash. Vintage rides are the cats meow, but if your running them you might break something thats rare or expensive to find!

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

If you are not looking to race and this will be mainly for an 8-year-old, I too would suggest Traxxas. Do the Bandit if you would prefer a buggy- Tower has the XL-5 version for $145 right now and I found one seller at $155 shipped on eBay.
The Slashes, Rustlers and Stampedes are all good, durable choices for a younger driver who will not be racing. Parts are cheap and easy to find-- Pep Boys even carries some of the Traxxas trucks and parts now!!
You will spend less time fixing the Traxxas and get to spend more time with your kid!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

cyber10 by hpi for 4wd, phoenix by thundertiger, duratrax vendetta ST is excellent too, and the tamiya tamtech buggies are super strong plus have that old-school look (just put the wildboard wheels and tires on for the rougher terrain and jumping)

dvalleli

Post by dvalleli »

I think that the new car is going to be mine, and the boy will get the ol' rc10 to begin with...it's fitting that he'll start with my 1st car will be his too. I watched a bunch of Slash videos yesterday, and it seems like a pretty nice little vehicle. How does the SC10 compare?

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

dvalleli wrote:I think that the new car is going to be mine, and the boy will get the ol' rc10 to begin with...it's fitting that he'll start with my 1st car will be his too. I watched a bunch of Slash videos yesterday, and it seems like a pretty nice little vehicle. How does the SC10 compare?
I would go with the slash. The SC10 From I have read are having problems with the chassis breaking. The slash is new design. The SC10 is based on the B4-T4 chassis. Both kits have after market hop ups from differant suppliers . If you want to go the buggy route get a B4 race spec RTR. If you like the
b4 you can always up grade the car. Associated has always been my favorite choice but for the short course truck I would go with the slash.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

dvalleli wrote:I think that the new car is going to be mine, and the boy will get the ol' rc10 to begin with...it's fitting that he'll start with my 1st car will be his too. I watched a bunch of Slash videos yesterday, and it seems like a pretty nice little vehicle. How does the SC10 compare?

Id go with the slash for him. They are durable and fast. the new Traxxas line has a training option you set on the ESC so you can slow it down til he gets the hang of it. My boy started out with an RC10T that was mine and I cringed every time he wrecked. I bought him an XTM cuz they were cheap and what a mistake that was. He got his slash for his bday in may, bashes the crap out of it in the sand and on the street of hard packed dirt. The only thing that has crapped out is the motor. If you run in sand get the RPM gear cover and install it before you run. You will save yourself the headache of sand getting into the pinion and spur. Trust me I learned the hard way on mine.

Don't know much about the SC10's other than Ive heard the chasis snaps in half. That turned me off very quickly.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

Agree.

Slash is big enough and durable enough to take the abuse a little boy can dish out. I vote any traxxas elec. for a beginner.

In keeping with the AE tradition, you might look for a used T4 or earlier truck. I think trucks are better to start and a touch more durable. lots of the screws are interchangeable with the old stuff too. Check your local Cl ads. Ive done pretty well there with stuff I have found.

MOmo

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I agree for a kid the slash is a good choice.

I've had my SC10 for a few months now and I haven't broken anything, but for a basher the Slash will probably hold up better.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

dvalleli

Post by dvalleli »

Hey everybody

thanks for your opinions and input. I ordered a Slash today!

I think the long term plan will be to get a 2nd short-course truck, so that I can race my son, and put the old RC10 on a shelf. I'm still interested in building the RC10 up (like in the "What is old is new again" thread), but I need way more than $200 in parts to do it. For now, I just want to drive (and modify) something. I thought long and hard about the SC10 vs Slash, and I think the engineering on the SC10 is leaps and bounds above the Traxxas, but then again, I won't be racing, just bashing. (there was a discussion at work today, and I think that i convinced a few other guys to buy Slash's so we might build a track in town :)) My least favorite part of the Slash is the high CG, but the waterproof electronics were a huge draw. The Blitz looks good too, along with the upcoming Losi, but for now, I figure all these people can't be wrong about the durability and fun of the Slash.

thanks again,
dave

karnivool
Approved Member

Post by karnivool »

why not get 2 old rc10's with stealths? cheap as chips on ebay & the second can be for parts on your son's/your buggy