FIBERGLASS BATTERY HOLD DOWNS...OEM...Back me up.

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I stand corrected.

We bought them in bulk from Parma (who included them with the gear cover new), who probably bought them in bulk from a packaging supply company. That's just typical of everything in the RC industry repackaged and sold by anyone who can get their hands on something, like micro oilers and body clips.

qctires
Approved Member

Cover

Post by qctires »

Asso_man! wrote:now, maybe you'll believe me, these are mine and NIP:

PS: take a look at my collection in the Reader's ride section (let's see what you've got) I am not a rookie in collecting RC10's :wink:

Nothing much to show right now but this is what I have. Not new though. :roll:

qctires
Approved Member

Production

Post by qctires »

MelvinsArmy wrote:liquorbox, you could make that million back in the first week of sales. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm about 95% sure that this clear gear cover is actually a Parma part. Still cool though.

qctires, I can't wait to see what you find. I'd love to see some of those parts. Which really makes me wonder where the actual prototype cars are right now. I'm sure Jay and Cliff and Masami still have their old cars, but I wonder about the rest, the ones that weren't racer's personal cars.

I know it's not exactly what we're looking for here, but I bet it would be very, very easy to fabricate some of those fiberglass battery hold downs. Just get some fiberglass stock and trace the outline of a regular plastic part, grab the Dremel and the drill and there you have it.

Which brings me to another point. Hate to bring up ethics, we have to talk about that with repro parts. Since the parts that may be reproduced are very rare (that's the reason they'd be remade) when the repros come out, the prices of the originals will likely drop. They will definatley drop if the repros are exact duplicates. liquorbox, have you thought about maybe putting a date stamp in the mold, or anything like that? Just a thought. I don't know how hardcore RC collectors can be (personally I'm not a super hardcore fanatic, just kind of one) but in the vintage BMX world, and others as well, this is a big issue. People have reproduced parts and sold them saying they were originals, got found out and totally lost all repsect and reputation in the community. Just something to consider. And, a whole new can of worms I just opened.
Just spoke with Don over at AE. He told me that the fiberglass hold downs came out as an OEM part. They did make their own hold down bars and these were like Factory Team parts then :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

qctires, are you having a heavy flow day or something? i think you need to turn the - whole world against me attitude - down a bit. no one ever came out and said you were dead wrong. what i said, as did others, is that we hadn't seen the fiberglass hold downs come in a kit. that's it. on the box and in the instructions, the car has a fiberglass tranny brace, too. when are you gonna start crying about that. you need to stop taking stuff so personally, and let stuff roll off your back. check the attitude before ya start to type. this has been a cool, laid back forum since it started, until............ see where i'm going with this? calm down.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

We're all friends here. Just sharing info. I think it's cool to talk to guys who have info on this old stuff. We all have so much more to share and learn about this early R/C gold. No need to be defensive about anything—we all want the same things.

:D

It's all good. :wink:

qctires
Approved Member

Post by qctires »

MelvinsArmy wrote:liquorbox, you could make that million back in the first week of sales. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm about 95% sure that this clear gear cover is actually a Parma part. Still cool though.

qctires, I can't wait to see what you find. I'd love to see some of those parts. Which really makes me wonder where the actual prototype cars are right now. I'm sure Jay and Cliff and Masami still have their old cars, but I wonder about the rest, the ones that weren't racer's personal cars.

I know it's not exactly what we're looking for here, but I bet it would be very, very easy to fabricate some of those fiberglass battery hold downs. Just get some fiberglass stock and trace the outline of a regular plastic part, grab the Dremel and the drill and there you have it.

Which brings me to another point. Hate to bring up ethics, we have to talk about that with repro parts. Since the parts that may be reproduced are very rare (that's the reason they'd be remade) when the repros come out, the prices of the originals will likely drop. They will definatley drop if the repros are exact duplicates. liquorbox, have you thought about maybe putting a date stamp in the mold, or anything like that? Just a thought. I don't know how hardcore RC collectors can be (personally I'm not a super hardcore fanatic, just kind of one) but in the vintage BMX world, and others as well, this is a big issue. People have reproduced parts and sold them saying they were originals, got found out and totally lost all repsect and reputation in the community. Just something to consider. And, a whole new can of worms I just opened.
liquorbox, how about this bars? You think it's a good idea to meke repros? I've alredy called my brother back home and asked him if he could open all of our old RC toolboxes and try to see if he still has the originals. I'd really love to get a new or used pair > If not, repros will work. And like I said in my previous post, Don from AE said...It's OEM... :wink:

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

liquorbox, how about this bars? You think it's a good idea to meke repros? I've alredy called my brother back home and asked him if he could open all of our old RC toolboxes and try to see if he still has the originals. I'd really love to get a new or used pair > If not, repros will work. And like I said in my previous post, Don from AE said...It's OEM... :wink: [/quote]

"OEM" = Original Equipment Manufacturer:

So, of course, AE was the OEM... :lol:

I want some 10T "OEM" hand milled front and rear body mounts, front bulkhead, and tranny brace. probably not gonna find those anytime soon... :roll:

If you got the stuff, let's see it. :)

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder, no reason for that. Everyone seems to be on your side, it's just a case of the people here don't have what you're looking for... :cry:

Or the GT white stuff * Ineed*. :o

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

super cool, our first heated topic!!!

:wink:

i miss out on alot not having internet over the weekends...

i cant say at all if those fiberglass holddowns were in some of the original kits, but for some really strange reason they seem kinda familiar to me.

i got one of those smooth gear covers as well, one day when i was dying some parts black (used dirt white parts) i threw it in, and it came out smoked. (as in smoked lexan, not smoked like broke) it looks pretty cool.

qctires
Approved Member

Post by qctires »

apexspeed wrote:We're all friends here. Just sharing info. I think it's cool to talk to guys who have info on this old stuff. We all have so much more to share and learn about this early R/C gold. No need to be defensive about anything—we all want the same things.

:D

It's all good. :wink:
Yup, I was alll good... 8)
This posting was for the purpose of restoring the RC10 tub. I wanted to share information for all the restorers who might need infos. I was going to start another thread about the diamond shaped wing button but I changed my mind. Someone might tell me..."go check the jewelry store, maybe they have it". But it's true. It also came as an OEM part. :wink:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Actually, when you said it just now, something clicked in my head that I didn't recall before... thos diamond-shaped nylon wing buttons were sold by Kimbrough Products (yeah, the spur gear company). I remember buying them when I bought my ribbed steering wheel doughnut. :D

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: bars

Post by MelvinsArmy »

qctires wrote:Wow. the way I look at it is, it's like I am just basing my claims from photos. Whay do I have to do that? I don't have to proove anything here. I am not getting personal. It's just that some people think they know it alll when in reality they don't. Get a fiberglass and fabricate and then what? Post, and claim it's OEM? Hey, I've got better things to do. I think the last part of my forum title was BACK ME UP... not HUMILIATE ME AND MAKE ME LOOK LIKE A FOOL! :x
qctires, I'm curious. What is your first language and how old are you?

Take it down a notch. Nobody is picking on you. This is a friendly debate. We all want to find out what did and did not exist in production kits. I don't think there is a single memeber on this board who would not be totally excited to find out for sure that what you are claiming is true. So far the only person here claiming to know everything is you. The rest of us are saying "show me the part". Nothing more. So, calm down already. Read and re-read the posts before you react to them with a flame. scr8p said it best in his last post.

Having said that, it's exciting to hear that AE has confirmed those parts did exist in kits. Nice detective work, hats off to you. 8)

About the red gear cover cap. Yes, Hot Trick probably also had them. But, it is a Parma part. Actually, the red cap is probably a piece that was originally made for something that has nothing to do with RC. Then, Hot Trick and Parma, and who knows who else adapted the part for their needs. Just like how AE doesn't make all the nuts and screws and bearings that hold your car together, it's not likely that the little red cap was made by Parma or Hot Trick. They just packaged it and sold it to RCers. Just like when you pay an inflated price for 4-40 nyloc nuts that come in an AE package instead of a box from the hardware store.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

liquorboxracing wrote:I am going to be having molds made for a few original driver figures for some vintage Kyosho buggies. My friends out at Fox Lite Plastics are doing the molds and vacuum forming them as well. I can a lot of small molds like this made in one run for an insanely cheap price.
btw, you know what i would like, an .060 rc10 tub underbody. no more worryin about scratchin a tub.

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

Just remember AE has got to be the biggest company for making rolling changes to their kits w/o telling the public. I swear any AE kit that was manufactured 6 months after one you got it will have something that has changed.

qctires
Approved Member

Post by qctires »

JR wrote:Just remember AE has got to be the biggest company for making rolling changes to their kits w/o telling the public. I swear any AE kit that was manufactured 6 months after one you got it will have something that has changed.
Exactly! :) I agree. And most companies are trying to cut their costs. :wink:

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Absolutley. But, one nice thing about AE is that usually the changes they make are to improve the performance and reliablity of the car. I remember when the first B4's came out, they were said to have very fragile front ends that were easily broken. AE did something and now they seem to be fine. Just look at how many changes the basic RC10 went thru in it's time. AE rules. They refuse to sit on their butts, and continue to improve their products. Okay, now maybe I'm getting all mushy, but what can I say? I love Associated. :D