JJH Replica using Classic RC10

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

limestang
Approved Member

JJH Replica using Classic RC10

Post by limestang »

I started this project a number of months ago, and thought it was about time I post the progress. I am not sure at this time how far I will go with taking artistic license versus being historically accurate. But, since the project will take quite a while to finish, I figure I have plenty of time to decide. Special thanks to RJK33, Scr8p, PRP and Ruffy for posting all of their great work, and answering my numerous email questions:)

As with the other JJH Replica's, I searched for a clean light gold A-Stamp Chassis, but didn't find any I liked. I also had over spent on the hobby budget, so started to search my personal collection for something to use. The only a-Stamp chassis I have is new and is dark gold, so I kept looking. I finally decided on using the Re-Re I purchased and built late last year. I originally built it as a WOIN and put it on the shelf to gaze at. That didn't last too long (gazing can get boring…). The chassis is a fairly light gold, and I didn't have to feel too bad about making the chassis mods. I also thought it would be interesting to see how a Re-Re would turn out on making a replica, so let me know your thoughts.

Here is the starting point of my project. I was surprised at how much of a difference the tires and front wheels make:
Attachments
IMG_1813s.jpg
IMG_1815s.jpg

limestang
Approved Member

Re: JJH Replica using Classic RC10

Post by limestang »

Here I removed the WOIN parts, and installed some vintage items. Here are some of the key changes:
1) Motor - I just used a stock AE motor since there is no definitive model info available.
2) Battery - I'm using an old NiCd battery pack I had laying around.
3) Steering - I installed the dual style bell crank and found the correct size o-rings, so didn't have to purchase the CRP kit.
4) Suspension - I installed vintage ball cups with the standard threaded rod. This is one example where the Classic parts don't quite make the cut.
5) ESC - I happened to have a Novak 1, but it had some issues with the wiring from the original owner.
6) Swap position of Rear body mount.
Attachments
IMG_1821ss.jpg

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Feeling pretty motivated, I decided to make the chassis mods. For those that haven't attempted this mod, it is pretty challenging. The metal is very tough to cut and almost brittle. The effort took me no less than 6 tools (Tin Snips, Hacksaw, Dremel, Milling Machine, Hand Files, and Sand Paper). I'm pretty happy with the final result. My advise is to just take your time and be patient.
Attachments
IMG_1866s.jpg
IMG_1861s.jpg

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Here is the JJH Replica re-assembled to the modified Chassis. I ended up sanding all of the edges on the chassis for consistency. I realize this isn't historically accurate, but I really liked the finished look.

Some of the other mods/additions:
1) Antenna mount installed on the right wing tube - Still a bit of a mystery on it's function. Originally I thought it might help hold the gear cover, but now having tried it, it almost seems like just a different place to secure the antenna. Maybe someone here can confirm one way or the other.
2) Some of the suspension mods incorporated like the rear tie rods replaced with shock rod ends, and third shock mount added to the rear tower.
3) Rear bulkhead replaced with a clean vintage part. The cutout on the newer version is a pretty obvious deviation from the JJH buggy.
4) On the battery pack, I removed the cardboard housing and installed yellow shrink tubing for a more correct look - Cost a whopping $2.96 for 3' of the yellow shrink tubing. This also puts to use some of those old battery packs we all have laying around.
5) I modified the battery cup by carefully cutting it with a cutoff saw. I did this by fitting a piece of wood into the ID of the cup. If you look closely you will also see black double side tape lining the battery cup and strap. This is a subtle detail visible in some of the vintage JJH Photo's.
6) Thanks to Jwscab, who provided the awesome fiberglass battery strap!!! Also note the larger loop size on the Hair Pin. I found most of standard one's have a smaller loop, which aren't correct.
Attachments
IMG_1868s.jpg

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

The electronics are starting to come together.
1) Receiver - I am using items I had, so unfortunately need to work with a receiver with the wrong plug type.
2) ESC - The control wiring had been mangled by the original owner with a g-plug mod, so I converted it back using the same cut lines and cleaned up the soldering work. If I ever get the correct receiver this will be easy to switch back. I also removed the weird fuse block and cleaned up the power wires.
3) Antenna - I am using a Parma Antenna mount. It's not a perfect match, but it's closer than the Associated Factory Mount. I also picked up a yellow antenna tube at my LHS that closely resembles the original.
Attachments
IMG_1873ss.jpg

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Got a big break recently with the purchase of KP-327 a wing. I thought I would never find one of these, because none were showing up on Ebay. Other additions include:
1) Wing Buttons - I fabbed the Yokomo style wing buttons on my mini-lathe.
2) Front Shock Tower - I made two seperate attempts to Ritt Dye the front shock tower, but neither took, so for now I'm leaving a natural color one installed.
3) Transmission - Pinned the differential
4) LOHAS Reproduction front Bumper
5) Flag Decals - I found a sheet of flag decals on Ebay that contained various sizes. I selected the ones that fit best the original size. This is an area where printing your own decals would be a big help, that way you could size them to whatever you wanted.
Attachments
IMG_1876ss.jpg

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

The body came back from DarkSideDesigns. Very impressed with the quality of work. Trimming the body is a bit stressful, because I didn't want to damage the nice paintwork. I made the typical rough cuts and then fine tuned with a dremel using a zoom in photo of Jay's Car. Note: I applied Duct Tape to the insides of the body to prevent chaffing. This is critical, because you can easily scratch off paint in the trim and fitting process. Seems to be working so far.
Attachments
IMG_1884.JPG

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Here's the status as of today (Autographics #6, JG Mfg Decal - Wrong Blue). It turns out there are over 60 mods/purchased items that are needed for this project. I have a detailed spreadsheet I will post once finished.

As you can see, I still have a long way to go on finding the remaining decals. Can someone remind me of the trick to drilling the hole correctly for the front body mount. I always end up having to make it into a slot:)

I have had allot of fun up to this point finding the various parts and look forward to the hunt on the remaining items.
Attachments
IMG_1890s.jpg

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

looks good so far.

i'm surprised those wings are no longer readily accessible. that being said, jay actually used a 12th scale wing and attached sides to it.

also, you have the wrong size number stickers (too large). you need numbers from the 140 series, those look to be the 160 series.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Thanks Scr8p. I have a running punch list on the remaining work, so I will be sure and add that to the list. Some of the other open actions include the following:

S131 Servo (on the way), Black Shock Tower, G-Plug Style Receiver, Hand Paint window netting, Decals, Decals, Decals:)

I may also change out the Classic Shocks for older bottom loading style.

Thanks for any and all inputs.

- Limestang

RJK33
Approved Member

Post by RJK33 »

Looks GREAT Brotha! :D
Kooz

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Looks great! I didn't know that about Jay using a 12th scale wing.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Here's a couple of more views:
Attachments
IMG_1889s.jpg
IMG_1891s.jpg
IMG_1892s.jpg

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Great job! I'll check for pics of Jay's car to see if I have any decals. I have JG decals but I think they are all purple.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Thanks Knucklebuster!!!!

- Limestang