OPTIMA MID '87 WC Worlds Spec Ltd Ed.

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

limestang
Approved Member

Re: OPTIMA MID '87 WC Worlds Spec Ltd Ed.

Post by limestang »

When I bite into a York Peppermint Patty...I get the wild sensation of driving the new Kyosho OPTIMA MID '87 WC Worlds Spec Ltd Ed. :lol:
- limestang
Attachments
34FAE005-0D91-43DD-BC2E-F9386CFC4151.jpeg
34FAE005-0D91-43DD-BC2E-F9386CFC4151.jpeg (18 KiB) Viewed 723 times
34FAE005-0D91-43DD-BC2E-F9386CFC4151.jpeg
34FAE005-0D91-43DD-BC2E-F9386CFC4151.jpeg (18 KiB) Viewed 723 times

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:31 pm Does the ReRe Mid have ball diffs and universal swingshafts, or is that only in the special edition?
Looks like the Optima Mid Rere has gear diffs and dogbones while the Worlds Optima has ball diffs, universals, and a bunch of Optima option parts
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

dinglem wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:49 am
1911Colt wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:37 am
dinglem wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:04 pm Worlds prototype replica*

(*Minus all of the unique prototype parts)
Saying the quiet part out loud :lol:

I would like to see manufacturers include some of the racer hacks as optional. Static model car kits used to come with parts to build the car as it left the show room, but also custom wheels and tires, upgraded engine components, race decals, etc. The builder got the parts to build himself a Cuda, or a Sox and Martin Cuda.

I thought Kyosho would be the first to do it since they started down that path with the Optima (belts and chains- take your pick).
This is nothing but a Kyosho money spinner - a green re-re Mid, that when you read the print doesn’t even come in green. It is absolutely nothing like the prototype ‘87 car. No thanks.
What do you mean by this? The body or wheels and such?
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

This replica is basically just a glorified re-re. The parts which differentiate the prototype cars from Romsey ‘87 and the later production version have not been replicated. Therefore, it isn’t what I would call a replica at all. Rear wing set up, rear hinge pin support, gearbox lube hole etc…. if I was building a Romsey prototype replica I would be copying the features of those cars. This is a very very lazy attempt in my eyes.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

dinglem wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:18 am This replica is basically just a glorified re-re. The parts which differentiate the prototype cars from Romsey ‘87 and the later production version have not been replicated. Therefore, it isn’t what I would call a replica at all. Rear wing set up, rear hinge pin support, gearbox lube hole etc…. if I was building a Romsey prototype replica I would be copying the features of those cars. This is a very very lazy attempt in my eyes.
I haven't seen the shocks or gunmetal parts come up kyosho's website, yet. They might not be reproductions of the parts you're looking for, but it might end up being like the Joel Johnson Ultima with parts being exclusive to those kits and not available individually.
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Yeah I can see that, but my point is that it is being pushed out as a ‘Worlds Replica’ which it isn’t, by a country mile.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Anyone hear any whispers about an ETA on these things yet? If it takes much longer, I may realize I can't afford it & don't have time for another R/C project. It has to get here before I come to my senses & make the responsible choice to cancel my pre-order. :shock:

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Some folks have received their kits already. Folks on RC Kicks are discussing them. Apparently the box art color is not readily available so that is a hot topic- has to match the wheels to look right.

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

Cool video just posted by Kyosho with Mr. Kogawa, the beginning is just a build video but the ending part is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2KWTX6Y2VM
Last edited by klavy69 on Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: installed youtube links correctly

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

cyberfox wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:08 am I don't really like this one, but now this body is re-released, I hope Kyosho will make an Optima Pro re-re, maybe the next year, as I hope they will make an Ultima Pro XL re-re based on the parts used for the J.J. edition :)
Bite your tongue! I'm a huge fan of Kyosho's re-releases...but the Optima Pro is the last one I want to see re-released. I bought it about 20 years ago, and it's still the rarest prize of my collection. I've already seen the value of a few original kits disappear like my Optima OG, Fantom, Ultima, and inevitably my Tamiya Falcon & Ultima Pro); though I don't think I'd have ever sold them anyway, since I still have seller's remorse from another 'never-to-be-seen-again' example like the Gigacrusher DF.

I do like when a re-release means I can enjoy driving it - the original or the new one - like my Fantom (still shocked this one was so popular it needs 3 versions) & Turbo Optima, the latter I think is close enough to the Pro to get the experience.

What do y'all think an Optima Pro NIB might be worth these days? The other Optimas coming back probably affected the value some, but I haven't seen one for sale in years.

optima_pro.JPG
optima_pro.JPG (179.1 KiB) Viewed 249 times
optima_pro.JPG
optima_pro.JPG (179.1 KiB) Viewed 249 times

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Back to the OT ... I did finally break down and order one of these out of major FOMO caused by having to overpay for the 60th anniversary gold Fantom I just had to have. I was wondering what y'all thought about motors. Interesting that Kyosho recommends a "brushed" motor, with most other re-res designed to accommodate modern power plants. I don't think I'd have the patience these days to be filing brushes & rebuilding motors..reminds me of glitchy radio crystals and mechanical speed controls. I'm not suggesting anything crazy; surely there's a mild-mannered brushless example that'd be good...just wondering why they'd specify that one part I definitely don't need my re-res to be faithful to the original.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

sundevil67 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:02 pm Back to the OT ... I did finally break down and order one of these out of major FOMO caused by having to overpay for the 60th anniversary gold Fantom I just had to have. I was wondering what y'all thought about motors. Interesting that Kyosho recommends a "brushed" motor, with most other re-res designed to accommodate modern power plants. I don't think I'd have the patience these days to be filing brushes & rebuilding motors..reminds me of glitchy radio crystals and mechanical speed controls. I'm not suggesting anything crazy; surely there's a mild-mannered brushless example that'd be good...just wondering why they'd specify that one part I definitely don't need my re-res to be faithful to the original.
I have no experience with Kyosho products, aside from tires and ball cups. But the brushed motor recommendation might have something to do with gearing options and power curves of brushed vs. brushless. It might just be easier to drop a brushed motor in with the kit spur and pinion (if a pinion is included) even with the "updated" drivetrain. That is the only thing that came to my mind regarding the brushed motor recommendation. An old-school Kyosho nut would blow right past that, though. I think it's for the folks that are just dipping their toe...

And I use "nut" in jest. I too am a nut. Which reminds me of the old Almond Joy and Mounds commercials......off to ScrewTube to try and find those...
Hope you're doin' something fun.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Kyosho do give you both a brushed and brushless recommendation though.
The brushed motor recommendation is to suggest you buy Kyoshos own brand brushed motor rather than a standard one from elsewhere. It's only a 30 turn brushed motor, because that's what Kyosho made to sell as a motor to go in the Scorpion rerelease to match the gearing in that.
While the people here are more likely to buy a Mid to either race it with a fast brushless system, or put it on a shelf, out in the big wide world of rc cars the standard 540 motor is still the most popular motor you'll find thanks to the number of cheap brushed rtrs there are out there, and all the Tamiyas. Even the Top Force Evo comes with a 540 motor and quite a lot of them are fitted in them.

A big slice of the "vintage" market, who seem to queue up to buy re-releases while ignoring all the actual originals, usually just want a basic motor in there to run it up and down their yard and see it move so giving them a Kyosho branded motor option saves them looking around for an alternative from another brand. Some will want to "complete" the buggy by fitting a Kyosho branded motor and ESC even though we all know they can get better performance from other brands for a lot less money.

Look at the Yokomo 870C rerelease, there are people waiting to get the official Yokomo 27T brushed motor when it's just a cheap Surpass motor with a Yokomo label on it for twice the price. In the same way the other day on Facebook I saw a post of someone asking if Schumacher turnbuckles would work on his Kyosho because they were half the price of the official Kyosho ones. There is a large segment who think the best parts for their car come from the actual manufacturer.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Yeah, I can see the sides to that argument... I myself am guilty of buying the fancy LeMans 240 & 480S motor combo for my Fantom re-re in large part because it looks awesome .. but the Optima Mid I'm about to build ... while I'm not going to compete, I do intend to log as much track time as I can. Please forgive my ignorance ...but can you tell me what this means exactly? I was absent the day they taught the finer points of slipper clutch operation. I see these bullets whenever the specs are listed:

●Reinforced slipper clutch supports the power of modern brushless motors.
●Settings can be changed by installing the optional UM516 dual slipper sheet (white/RB5/2Pcs).

How exactly does the dual slipper sheet change the settings? This doesn't really tell me if adding that optional slipper sheet will reinforce the reinforced slipper clutch, or if it's what you buy if you're going to stick with a brushed motor. I'm probably going to stick my old 240ST in there & see how it runs first, but I'd like to understand this.

Thanks!

terry.sc wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:42 am Kyosho do give you both a brushed and brushless recommendation though.
The brushed motor recommendation is to suggest you buy Kyoshos own brand brushed motor rather than a standard one from elsewhere. It's only a 30 turn brushed motor, because that's what Kyosho made to sell as a motor to go in the Scorpion rerelease to match the gearing in that.
While the people here are more likely to buy a Mid to either race it with a fast brushless system, or put it on a shelf, out in the big wide world of rc cars the standard 540 motor is still the most popular motor you'll find thanks to the number of cheap brushed rtrs there are out there, and all the Tamiyas. Even the Top Force Evo comes with a 540 motor and quite a lot of them are fitted in them.

A big slice of the "vintage" market, who seem to queue up to buy re-releases while ignoring all the actual originals, usually just want a basic motor in there to run it up and down their yard and see it move so giving them a Kyosho branded motor option saves them looking around for an alternative from another brand. Some will want to "complete" the buggy by fitting a Kyosho branded motor and ESC even though we all know they can get better performance from other brands for a lot less money.

Look at the Yokomo 870C rerelease, there are people waiting to get the official Yokomo 27T brushed motor when it's just a cheap Surpass motor with a Yokomo label on it for twice the price. In the same way the other day on Facebook I saw a post of someone asking if Schumacher turnbuckles would work on his Kyosho because they were half the price of the official Kyosho ones. There is a large segment who think the best parts for their car come from the actual manufacturer.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

sundevil67 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:07 pm How exactly does the dual slipper sheet change the settings? This doesn't really tell me if adding that optional slipper sheet will reinforce the reinforced slipper clutch, or if it's what you buy if you're going to stick with a brushed motor. I'm probably going to stick my old 240ST in there & see how it runs first, but I'd like to understand this.
The "reinforced slipper clutch to support brushless motors " is basically stating it has a slipper.

Kyosho makes different slipper pads for different setups, unfortunately Kyosho doesn't say which pad works best in which conditions. The standard slipper pads are good for brushed motors and brushless motors on lower grip surfaces. For more powerful brushless motors and on high grip surfaces you change to the UM516B pads which allow more slip and can be tuned finer.

To be honest I only recently discovered Kyosho made a selection of pad materials myself, then a friend destroyed the differential gear in an Ultima racing on carpet and Kyoshos UK account manager pointed out he should have changed the kit pads for the upgrade ones to allow more give in the drivetrain.

If you like the Kyosho 240S ESC, don't go searching for the Performa P1 60A ESC that's half the price.