Help needed: transmission identification

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Pjl123

Help needed: transmission identification

Post by Pjl123 »

Greetings. New member, first time poster, and a fan of RC cars from way back.

My first car was a Christmas present back in the late 80’s. My big brother and I received matching Sears RC cars. We raced them, crashed them (many times), and we were hooked. We both dove into RC cars with my brother falling in love with Team Associated and me Traxxas (I had to be different).

Fast forward 30 years. My veteran brother left this world late last year. He is very much missed, and I want to put his old cars back together to race them with my son.

Long story short, I now have a vintage RC10 gold tub (?), what looks to be a RC10 B5, and enough parts to put 1-2 more cars together. The gold tub is idle while I source a battery, and I just got the B5 working again after weeks of working on it … almost. The transmission has stripped gears, and I have what I think may be a replacement transmission found in a ziplock bag (attached).

I’m hoping y’all can help me make sense of this. Can you identify this transmission? If so, any pointers on parts that appear missing or resources to put it back together would be much appreciated.
Attachments
D06EE29E-7E7F-44A0-B0DE-92B8C1269B35.jpeg

JosephS

Re: Help needed: transmission identification

Post by JosephS »

Pjl123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:39 am Greetings. New member, first time poster, and a fan of RC cars from way back.

My first car was a Christmas present back in the late 80’s. My big brother and I received matching Sears RC cars. We raced them, crashed them (many times), and we were hooked. We both dove into RC cars with my brother falling in love with Team Associated and me Traxxas (I had to be different).

Fast forward 30 years. My veteran brother left this world late last year. He is very much missed, and I want to put his old cars back together to race them with my son.

Long story short, I now have a vintage RC10 gold tub (?), what looks to be a RC10 B5, and enough parts to put 1-2 more cars together. The gold tub is idle while I source a battery, and I just got the B5 working again after weeks of working on it … almost. The transmission has stripped gears, and I have what I think may be a replacement transmission found in a ziplock bag (attached).

I’m hoping y’all can help me make sense of this. Can you identify this transmission? If so, any pointers on parts that appear missing or resources to put it back together would be much appreciated.
Looking closer it seems that it may be Team Associated 91430 which fits the b5 along with a slew of other cars
https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/parts/details/91430-ASC91430-gearbox_v2/

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Here is a link to Associated's manuals and support documents library. There should be an assembly manual which will help with parts and assembly for that transmission.

https://apps.associatedelectrics.com/aereferencelibrary/pages/buggies.html?zoom_highlightsub=B5
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Pjl123

Post by Pjl123 »

Awesome! Thank you both.