Favorite tools

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Favorite tools

Post by Frankentruck »

I thought there should be a thread for tools that people get a lot of use out of, in case it gives others some ideas for their own needs.

Right now, some of my more commonly used tools are my Leatherman Crunch (it's my soldering buddy for connectors), my ball cap wrench, and a keyless drill chuck. The drill chuck gets used with drill bits for cleaning up holes, with a 4-40 tap in place of a T-handle holder (has better control), and as a motor holder.
Attachments
PXL_20220415_190740761~2.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

jwscab

Re: Favorite tools

Post by jwscab »

The standard tools I use for almost everything are a set of real, good 00 tweezers, an xacto knife, and a straight dental pick.

I have an awesome set of needle nose pliers and a pair of small end nippers 1/8" wide that I use to grip shock shafts without scratching them up.

I also have an associated multi tool with changeable bits

I made a ball cup tool, I have a trinity 4 way wrench and a Tamiya multi tool.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

I have been happy with a set of nylon jaw pliers. It can still mar metal, but it easier to keep parts from getting marred

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Favorite tools, isn't that like picking a favorite child?

I have tons of tools, for various purposes. But for rc, I find myself reaching for these most often.
Screenshot_20220415-171010_Gallery.jpg
The Wiha mini-bit tool covers 0.9-4mm and 0.035-5/32". I have plenty of hex and ball drivers but usually use this.

General Tools bit holder. It will hold bits and taps with up to 3/8" shanks.

Protek shock pliers. Should have brought these sooner. In addition to the obvious, they make cutting and tapping nose and wing tubes much easier.

Mini cutter. This one is a Hakko (CHP). The cutting edges are much stronger than the ebay and Amazon specials.

Mini adjustable wrench and pliers, both by Crescent. Infinite uses.

Mini needle nose pliers. Long tips and smooth jaws. True life savers.

X-Acto knifes. Duh.

Tamiya/Traxxas 4 way wrench. I keep several within reach.

Mini-torch. Sometimes you just need fire.

Servo driver. Surprisingly, I use this more often than I thought.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I use this more than any other individual tool in the hobby shop.
Attachments
mic 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

morrisey0 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:57 pm I use this more than any other individual tool in the hobby shop.
Oddly enough, mine gets used often as well. It normally stays in my office but I left it on the workbench in the shed yesterday.

Even though I have several Mitutoyo and Fowler calipers, I use my cheap digital most often. I like that it can quickly switch between metric, standard, and fractions. It can also toggle between the three with the measurement locked.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I also like to re-zero mine at different locations to do easier total measurement stack ups. A digital caliper is much more useful than I originally thought it would be.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

My cheapo digital caliper is one of my favorite, most used tools on the rc workbench. But my favorite tool now, which I use to absolutely dread doing, is the soldering equipment. Which includes soldering station, mat, jigs, heat gun, various wire, heat shrink, connectors, etc. Once you learn the few essential soldering tips and have the proper equipment, it makes for an actual pleasurable task. I'd post a pic, but I'm too busy enjoying Tito's and good tunes at the moment :lol:

Also, excellent thread Ed. Kuddos to you pal.
-Jerry-

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Another thing that pertains to this thread. Please post your favorite and/or preferred cleaning/refurbishing equipment & supplies for anything RC related. Whether its specifically for restoring vehicles, motors, ESC's, wheels/tires, whatever. These materials and methods will be very useful and helpful for fellow readers coming across this thread.
-Jerry-

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I prefer an old school caliper , partly it's the beauty of fine parts moving in analogue harmony but mostly it's that every digital I've had needed constant calibration and when you need it most the battery's are flat , I think the battery issue is caused by them auto starting as they move and if the temperature changes then thermal expansion/contraction is enough to turn them on , anyway I love the mechanical beauty of analogue ones .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

A measuring caliper is definitely a must have tool!

My favorite is an old Fowler dial that I “borrowed” from my dad 20 years ago.. I also have a poly digital which is nice.

-Brad

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I am looking for recommendations for a couple of tools I need for the hobby room. 1) a small cordless ~12v drill. I have an amazon off brand one now that has served me well, but recently, bits are slipping in the chuck with very little resistance and it is getting annoying. I have 18-20V drills in the garage, but the shop only needs something smaller and lightweight. side recommendation if you have / know of a good clamp-on drill press stand / mount for a small drill. 2) a power driver / power screwdriver, but one that is straight shaft like a typical screwdriver as opposed to angled like a drill.

Of course looking for that "works better than expected" cheaper variety. Which, I don't know know why because I know that more expensive tools last longer (see line about 5 sentences up), but thought I would throw it out there anyway just in case there is that awesome cheap tool out there.

I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

For a small drill (or smaller power tools in general), the Milwaukee M12 is hard to beat. Since I already had multiple batteries and chargers, I just bought a drill for ~$40.

At my desk, I keep a Skill cordless screwdriver. I also use a Neiko chuck adapter. I prefer the slow speed when dealing with soft materials.

As for the clamp on drill press stands. From what I've read, they all suck. Probably better to spend ~$100 or so on a real one. I've been looking at some of the midline Wen versions. They have good reviews and I've had excellent luck with other Wen tools.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

For a small drill (or smaller power tools in general), the Milwaukee M12 is hard to beat. Since I already had multiple batteries and chargers, I just bought a drill for ~$40.

At my desk, I keep a Skill cordless screwdriver. I also use a Neiko chuck adapter. I prefer the slow speed when dealing with soft materials.
Screenshot_20221003-200408_Gallery.jpg
As for the clamp on drill press stands. From what I've read, they all suck. Probably better to spend ~$100 or so on a real one. I've been looking at some of the midline Wen versions. They have good reviews and I've had excellent luck with other Wen tools.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:39 pm side recommendation if you have / know of a good clamp-on drill press stand / mount for a small drill.

I had one and it didn't even last the for 3 holes in pine. As much as I wanted on one, getting one that is built well enough to work is likely to be nearly the cost of an actual drill press.