Tamiya 58695 Wild One Blockhead Motors at SilverTriple's sauce :)

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya 58695 Wild One Blockhead Motors at SilverTriple's sauce :)

Post by XLR8 »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:44 am Additional thinking about the range of move from the rear suspensions: it's not only the arms by the rear axles are also touching the roll cage. Modifying the rear arms would not be enough to change the situation. Further it seems that extending the range would lead to loose the dog bones. So I will have to live with this...
On my car, modifying the rear arms has increased suspension travel by approximately 1.5mm before the axle and its boot contacts the cage.
Perhaps Tamiya has supplied springs with a very high rate to match the very limited suspension travel.
This car is riddled with design compromises. I don't think I could mod this car even to make a mediocre off-road race car. I guess to me it's just a toy.
Anyway, I think it will look nice on the shelf.
... just my opinion, of course.
Doug

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:45 pm
silvertriple wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:44 am Additional thinking about the range of move from the rear suspensions: it's not only the arms by the rear axles are also touching the roll cage. Modifying the rear arms would not be enough to change the situation. Further it seems that extending the range would lead to loose the dog bones. So I will have to live with this...
On my car, modifying the rear arms has increased suspension travel by approximately 1.5mm before the axle and its boot contacts the cage.
Perhaps Tamiya has supplied springs with a very high rate to match the very limited suspension travel.
This car is riddled with design compromises. I don't think I could mod this car even to make a mediocre off-road race car. I guess to me it's just a toy.
Anyway, I think it will look nice on the shelf.
... just my opinion, of course.
Well... I did not have time to do much today. Wanted to print some stuff today, and when switching on the printer, found out a new issue with the BLTouch sensor, which seemed bogus... Verified the whole wiring, and then started to work out the sensor itself. Changed the probe, without any results... Many tries later, went back to my step, and decide to torque the setting screw of the probe a bit further. Bingo, it works again. One day lost troubleshooting the f**** 3D printer... I call this learning curve...

Yes, you are right, the wild one is a toy, although there is "high performance off road racer" on the box... The same mention you can find on the box of a Grasshopper or a Hornet :lol:
Any case, I don't build it to race, although running on a track with friends running others "Tamiya High Performance Off Road Racer" would probably still be called a race... But as usual, at least, if I can't win, I have a nice and pretty excuse: "My car is a toy" :lol: :mrgreen: :D
That being said, on a track, I will probably use some of my Kyoshos rather than the Wild One... And I may decide to propose my friends race on the beach, which I feel maybe the very natural running field for the Wild One :)
And it may not be competitive, but it will be nice on the beach :-D
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

toys.JPG

I guess my car came from that other Tamiya company. :lol:

I have a feeling I'll get frustrated running this car on the track. I might as well accept its limitations and have fun or put it on the shelf where it was meant to go.
I do agree with you, it should be great fun on a beach.

I just need to apply stickers, window nets and number boards, fit the ESC and Rx and my car is ready to run.
I'm gonna move the front light buckets to the roof panel to see if I like that better. It sorta looks like an insect with its bug-eyes. :shock:
Doug

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:16 pm toys.JPG

I guess my car came from that other Tamiya company. :lol:
:lol:

After a track indoor session this morning with the M06-Giulia, some finetuning work on the printer, a few failed prints (there was some remains of white PLA around the hot end), a review of the design, my front light buckets are now in their definitive position. The print is not perfect, I'll reprint them later any case in MJF PA12 for a better finish. But at least, now my front led buckets are no longer moving and they are firmly fixed...

I also printed spring cups and they work as expected (not on the picture at this stage - as I won't publish them on Thingiverse, as I just reproduced the design of @XLR8)

I'll publish the parts I can publish on Thingiverse at the end of the build with some parts designed to work on the body shell for the same purpose...

I'm currently printing the rear led holders, and should be able to get final pictures at some point for them as well for the thingiverse page. At the end, I did not move forward on the build, as I have still a lot to do beside this and my printer required me to work out a bit the things...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Rear led attachment were printed in both single and dual led versions...

The print is not perfect, but I don't really care at this stage, as I'm not happy with the result (I can't show the opposite configuration as the left license plate print failed, not really sure why). In any case, I'm not really happy with the result: the side without the license plate looks like unfinished, and the side with the license plate looks like meh... Need to totally rethink this.

Ideas/propositions welcome :)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Well, I'm still unclear... Did something with a centered license plate, with a ring that would prevent it to move... Found it a bit too simple and added some details, which I believe may go very well with the motor lines and some details of the gear cover... But it maybe a bit Marui Hunter like, now :-)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

After another printer fail due to a printer jam again, some cleaning work and a reprint, much better this time...

I finally have something almost acceptable...

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Twin tail lights with a central license plate holder, I definitely think you're on the right track with this mod. Cannot wait to see the finished product.

I'm nearly finished and while assembling my copy, I've spent some time and modeled each part. The parts are then assembled and the finished model is placed against a suitable background.

Maybe someday this summer, I can take the real car to a real beach. :D
beach image.jpg
beach image 1.jpg

I've probably mentioned this before but I really enjoy making 3d cad models of my RC's. It provides an opportunity to study each part closely and hopefully gain a better understanding and appreciation for the design and engineering that has gone into making the car - so for me, it's educational.

Also, modeling the car greatly extends the build time so maybe I won't buy so many RC's - so maybe it also saves me some money. :wink:
This one is a very quick build. With it's simple chassis and suspension, pre-cut and painted body, I think one could build this car in only a few hours.
Doug

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Nice work @XLR8 !

On my side, did not have the time to work on this since the other day. Work matters and some administrative work hold me out of R/C business, and I should be able to resume work on the Wild One tomorrow evenning or Saturday... Work wise, I'm already in week-end, but I'm supposed to hold a talk in an engineering school tomorrow for the afternoon (and that is not exactly a week-end)...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I finally went back on doing something on the Wild One today... It was mainly about electronics.

First, I prepared the servo.

It's one which is way overkill, but since I have those one in the boxes, the wild one is one of the car that allows to use it because of the room allowed for it. So it is going there.

Then it was time to put cables on the motor, and to take care of the lights... (Note: I thought I had a 270mm sensor cable at home and it was not the case (it may have been used in the Turbo Scorpion), the one remaining was a 200 mm, so it won't work. I order a 250mm which should be long enough for this). Since it is a TBLE-02S ESC at the moment (I did not set the XT60 connector on it as I may change the ESC later on), I put as well a lipo alarm in the tub. Then it was time to add the lights... The tub may have a lot of room, but it is really quickly becoming a mess :-D.

After some time, I found proper way to pass the cables, and added the last connector for the led that goes on the body shell...

A bit of preview:

Lot of work remain to do, but at least, I won't touch the soldering iron for next stage (until I'm decided about the ESC).
What is left to do for next stage:
- get the lights reflector painted (liquid chrome molotow paint inside)
- paint the driver head, and finish the helmet
- take care of the twelve fingers hands on the driver body :-)
- install the side number plate, the windows net, and the main colors (vinyls)
- install the led buckets on the body shell
- install a proper sensor cable (there is none at the moment - so the car can't run)

I may do part of this tomorrow, but surely not everything...

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Doing the wiring is my least favorite part of any build. I think you've handled the wiring very well. At least with this car, the battery is accessed from underside so the body stays on and no one will ever see the wires.
One quick note on the included ESC. My copy came with a Hobby Wing 1060 and the mounting screws and rubber boot supplied with the kit are incompatible with the HW's switch.
I wanted to use the mounting and boot so I've borrowed a TBLE-02 from another kit. I'll save the HW for something else.
Doug

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:49 pm Doing the wiring is my least favorite part of any build. I think you've handled the wiring very well. At least with this car, the battery is accessed from underside so the body stays on and no one will ever see the wires.
One quick note on the included ESC. My copy came with a Hobby Wing 1060 and the mounting screws and rubber boot supplied with the kit are incompatible with the HW's switch.
I wanted to use the mounting and boot so I've borrowed a TBLE-02 from another kit. I'll save the HW for something else.
I feel the same. Clearly not my favorite part. And for some kits (such as this one), it's mandatory to move on.
The kit was delivered with TBLE-04S (surprisingly, somehow, as I was expecting a brushed only ESC) which I swapped with a TBLE-02S, as the limit of the TBLE-04S is said to be 15.5T motor, and I use a 13.5T in this build.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Updated the Thingiverse page for the rear led holders
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5147961

Plenty of options available, in case someone wants to add rear lights to the Wild One...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Slow progress this morning as the kids were playing on my usual work area...

I did apply some chrome inside the led buckets. You may note the form of the fixation of the led buckets. It allows to lock them in orientation as long as you find a way (obviously, my mounts 3D printed are designed for them).

I then mounted the front one on the car. I took a picture of the result of the Chrome applied in terms of look. Left one has the inside with chrome, right one don't have.
The right one was replaced after the picture.

I then took care of the led buckets installed on the bonnet

Again, I designed some parts to adapt the 2 mm screw to 3mm hole in the bonnet, and since I did not want to add a second hole into the body, I designed a top part which include room for one single o-ring to lock the part, while the led bucket is locked in the part by it's form... And it works as expected.

I'll publish all the front parts within the afternoon on Thingiverse.

Next will be about finition...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Wanted to get things moving forward, knowing that I would not finish it anyway today, as I'm still undecided about sponsors stickers and I still have a the sensor cable to put in.

I started my afternoon to work on the body of the pilot. First priority, remove the additional unrequired 12 fingers per hand :-). Added a some masking tape before adding black.

Next was a bit of black to make the driver less alien and more human

Then waiting the paint to dry, I move on the body, first with a photocopy of the stickers to idenitfy the limits of the vinyls as the vinyl I cut are divided by colors...

Then apply the top and the bottom

And next was the addition of the number plate, and yes, as usual, there will be a 9.

Once this was done, I decided to move on to the driver body again by applying some red.

Before adding some black again. I painted the driver head as well, and the metal finish doesn't really help (but it maybe even worse on the Nylon under the metal finish - key particularity of the wild one). I finished the harness with some chrome and I'm happy with my driver like that

Please get introduced to Mister big hands :-D

I put it in the chassis quickly after that

And I decided to put the bonnet in place to see how it would look like...

And switched on the lights as well, just to see

I just added the roof (not fixed yet) to take some pictures as it was time to stop for today...

The rear still look unfinished, but that will be worked out at some point, but not today...