Part #: 6579 (Associated Diff Drive Rings) : This item has been discontinued

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JosephS

Part #: 6579 (Associated Diff Drive Rings) : This item has been discontinued

Post by JosephS »

This is an automated e-mail from Team Associated. You had requested to be notified when a specific item came back in stock.

Part #: 6579 (Associated Diff Drive Rings)
Item Status: This item has been discontinued

To view this item online, visit:
https://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6579/

I got this e-mail today confirming that the drives rings are goners.
Is there a known substitute from another manufacturer or McMaster Carr?

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Re: Part #: 6579 (Associated Diff Drive Rings) : This item has been discontinued

Post by ChisaiKuso »

That figures... I am glad that I never threw any of my used diff rings out.

If you have some used ones yourself, then you can remove the grooves with sandpaper.
Something clever goes here...

juicedcoupe

Re: Part #: 6579 (Associated Diff Drive Rings) : This item has been discontinued

Post by juicedcoupe »

Yeah, I picked up several sets a while back. Well above list price but what I still thought was reasonable.

But even though I have several spares, I still try to save any that I can. I have nine Stealth transmissions, I can't just go throwing parts away.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

ChisaiKuso wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:44 pm That figures... I am glad that I never threw any of my used diff rings out.

If you have some used ones yourself, then you can remove the grooves with sandpaper.
I don't have much in the ways of extra sets because I just sanded down used rings. This was my order to just buy 5 sets of rings and have a lifetime supply.

I was hoping there was a substitution or aftermarket part.

fbmstar
Approved Member

Post by fbmstar »

you can try mcmaster 97022A240. https://www.mcmaster.com/washers/material~stainless-steel/id~1-2/id~0-501/id~0-502/id~0-503/id~0-505/id~0-51/thickness~0-025/

The washers I measured were ID.505" -- OD .749" -- Thickness .026"
These washers are ID .500-.511" -- OD .748"-.752" -- thickness .025"
These are made out of 316 stainless with min hardness of Rb70.

probably not as hard as the originals, but might do the job. Worth a shot at $5.92 for a 10 pack.

fbmstar
Approved Member

Post by fbmstar »

I was looking into hardness a little more since my previous post. I don't think the B70 is going to cut it, even though those washers are pretty much identical dimension wise.

Here's another option with C44 hardness. They are a little thinner, but these might actually do the trick. I'm no expert on hardness, but know that C58-60 is what we used to spec for all of our heat treated tools. I would think the C44 would be close enough to be useable, but might need to be replaced more frequently.

https://www.mcmaster.com/90482A432/

I'd be interested in hearing how these fare if you happen to try them out or if you find something even harder out there.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

fbmstar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:24 pm I was looking into hardness a little more since my previous post. I don't think the B70 is going to cut it, even though those washers are pretty much identical dimension wise.

Here's another option with C44 hardness. They are a little thinner, but these might actually do the trick. I'm no expert on hardness, but know that C58-60 is what we used to spec for all of our heat treated tools. I would think the C44 would be close enough to be useable, but might need to be replaced more frequently.

I'd be interested in hearing how these fare if you happen to try them out or if you find something even harder out there.
I will be the guinea pig and try them. I will get them ordered next week.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

LowClassCC wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:53 pm
fbmstar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:24 pm I was looking into hardness a little more since my previous post. I don't think the B70 is going to cut it, even though those washers are pretty much identical dimension wise.

I will be the guinea pig and try them. I will get them ordered next week.
I'd be interested to hear how this works out. Even if not as good as original, a source of serviceable diff rings will help keep these cars as runners.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

LowClassCC wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:53 pm I will be the guinea pig and try them. I will get them ordered next week.
Order placed. I will finish getting everything else on the car cleaned up and restored so I can jump right on rebuilding the diff as soon as they arrive.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

These arrived today. They were a hair thinner but well within the usable range. They are not as polished as the #6579 rings came but are still smooth. Diff feels great after putting it together. I was stuck cleaning my old balls and reusing them. It will be a while before I can run it to truly test them out. For now I am giving them a thumbs up.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

LowClassCC wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:10 pm

These arrived today. They were a hair thinner but well within the usable range. They are not as polished as the #6579 rings came but are still smooth. Diff feels great after putting it together. I was stuck cleaning my old balls and reusing them. It will be a while before I can run it to truly test them out. For now I am giving them a thumbs up.
That is great to know. diff rings are one of those consumables that can be hard to get around. Thanks for reporting what you found.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I ordered a pair of RJ Speed 5752 diff rings since they were only $2.99 a set. They fit as direct replacements for my RC12L diff rings which I think takes 6579 rings.
Attachments
PXL_20211201_215957102.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:52 pm I ordered a pair of RJ Speed 5752 diff rings since they were only $2.99 a set. They fit as direct replacements for my RC12L diff rings which I think takes 6579 rings.
6625, same as the 10L and six gear.

The above posts are about 2.25 Stealth diffs.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I just started refurbishing a 2.25 gearbox and the diff rings are crumbling apart, shedding steel slivers from the edges. Time to try these McMaster Carr rings.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

guitronics
Approved Member

Post by guitronics »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:52 pm I ordered a pair of RJ Speed 5752 diff rings since they were only $2.99 a set. They fit as direct replacements for my RC12L diff rings which I think takes 6579 rings.
Those aren't the same as Associated #6579 Diff Rings. They won't work on the Stealth Transmission. I think those are for the 6 gear Transmission.