Any tips on reducing a collection

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: Any tips on reducing a collection

Post by RC10th »

JosephS wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:01 am I am trying to make space for things that are more interesting.
What is more interesting?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

I can relate to your question. I definitely aquire faster than I complete. I also find that the speed of my acquisition, and the need to do multiple projects, can causes clutter in my workspace. Said clutter then makes it harder for me to focus on projects so I end up surfing ebay to pass the time and buying more stuff in a neverending circle.

I have purged several times over the years when I got overwhelmed. I try to be conscious of the collecting vs hoarding line. I have some regrets and in hindsight I should have started with a clear goal of what was important to me. Do you like rare stuff or things that you missed had as a kid etc... Decide a direction for you collection to start. While I think rare is cool I personally don't have the patience to wait years for parts.

I do regret selling so I am also trying to organize the chaos to prevent more clutter. I started by deleting the eBay saved searches. I got large storage totes to store parts and cars based on brand. I am working though each box one at a time and resisting the "really good deals" that I come across.
Self described chronic hobbyist

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I'm sure the long time collectors (hoarders) remember the $30 -$50 RC10 days with readily available parts :lol: Times have certainly changed.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

RC10th wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:25 am
JosephS wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:01 am I am trying to make space for things that are more interesting.
What is more interesting?
Some of my projects seems become less interesting when they just keep breaking , or keep needing parts.
As far as what is more interesting is the build and learning new things. It enjoyed learning about how to get parts anodized. As well 3d printing and making useful parts.
I'm looking forward to trying to make a rc10t2 carbon fiber tub. that seems interesting.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

RC10th wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:01 pm I'm sure the long time collectors (hoarders) remember the $30 -$50 RC10 days with readily available parts :lol: Times have certainly changed.
A wall full of rc10's looks different when a decently quality kitted out one costs $300-400
At 30-40 a kit I'd have a different definition of too many.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Burniefloyd wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:23 pm I can relate to your question. I definitely aquire faster than I complete. I also find that the speed of my acquisition, and the need to do multiple projects, can causes clutter in my workspace. Said clutter then makes it harder for me to focus on projects so I end up surfing ebay to pass the time and buying more stuff in a neverending circle.

I have purged several times over the years when I got overwhelmed. I try to be conscious of the collecting vs hoarding line. I have some regrets and in hindsight I should have started with a clear goal of what was important to me. Do you like rare stuff or things that you missed had as a kid etc... Decide a direction for you collection to start. While I think rare is cool I personally don't have the patience to wait years for parts.

I do regret selling so I am also trying to organize the chaos to prevent more clutter. I started by deleting the eBay saved searches. I got large storage totes to store parts and cars based on brand. I am working though each box one at a time and resisting the "really good deals" that I come across.
My positions sounds a lot like your description. I do have a tendency to collect for the sake of collection. I actually got out of RC cars collect sports cards, then comic books then magic the gathering cards. I can get to be a bit completest. I think the lack of a garage is keeping me from the hoarding side. Though it is my tendency to have extra parts for just in case.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I've been collecting parts and multiple projects faster than I can complete, but done purposely so there's future projects awaiting on the shelf, knowing I won't get to them for them for some time. It's caused clutter multiple times taking up all work space on an 8' long work bench, due to lack of organizing in a timely manner. A constantly busy work schedule, multiple home projects, helping others and a 5 yr old whipper-snapper always take priority over toy-time. Some day things will settle down when I have more of a regular schedule for the hobby. I started getting larger plastic storage bins to separate each individual project and the parts collected for each project. But I don't plan on getting rid of any of it any time soon.
-Jerry-

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

what you end up with when you sell stuff...a little extra $ that you spend on something else so its not there long, a little extra room that you will put something else in anyway, full on regret when you change your mind...yeah, pry wrong place for advice on this forum. :P

Todd

p.s. no more talking about sales out of the b/s/t area please.
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I have discovered a bit of a new tactic in my world ................... at least one RC of mine is for sale at all times. And when that one is gone, evaluate what I have left and determine which RC is the least important to me, and it goes up for sale, etc etc etc. There is always one that is the least important of what is there. I may buy one or two while one is up for sale, but at least these is a positive effort to move things out.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

morrisey0 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:16 pm I have discovered a bit of a new tactic in my world ................... at least one RC of mine is for sale at all times. And when that one is gone, evaluate what I have left and determine which RC is the least important to me, and it goes up for sale, etc etc etc. There is always one that is the least important of what is there. I may buy one or two while one is up for sale, but at least these is a positive effort to move things out.
Whatcha got for sale... ? What's your best price? 😆
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I've recently come across a RC10L locally for sale, complete but needs restoration. Are RC10L's from late '80s to early '90s good for holding value in the near future? I'd mainly like to maintain historical significance if anything, because I'm slowly but surely becoming one of the "old timers" wanting to keep vintage r/c significance alive.
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:15 am I'm slowly but surely becoming one of the "old timers" wanting to keep vintage r/c significance alive.
Its not as slow as you think. :lol:
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 am Its not as slow as you think. :lol:
Definitely know it's not slow. But bigger than I realize I'm sure.
-Jerry-

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

This is what I have tried done...to help reduce my collection.

What are the ten 2WD, 4WD, and miscellanious that are very "precious" to me? This would be about a maximum collection of around 30 I might put in a case/display/shelving system. I'm a vintage shelf queen collector for the first 25 cars, and the last 5 cars are "runners" onroad, 2WD buggy, 4WD buggy, stadium truck, and a monster truck. I tell myself that 30 is the limit for me before I become a hobby store :).

Write it down on paper or computer, and then you rank order which are most important.

The rest, plan on selling them. YOU KNOW they will collect dust, and be looked at every 6 months. Heck you probably don't even know what the heck you have at this point lol. Keep the essentials...sell the extra's to fund your core collection. Self-control my friend...haha easier said than done!

Good luck.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I don't generally sell my junk, any of it.

I figure that I bought it for a reason. Even though I may lose interest from time to time, I figure that it will return.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.