Any tips on reducing a collection

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JosephS

Any tips on reducing a collection

Post by JosephS »

So I get that many folks here have a good deal of space to devote to their collections.
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of space and it's starting to feel cramped.

Has anyone here had to reduce their collections? Was it overall better for you, was there anything you would do differently in hindsight?

mikea96
Approved Member

Re: Any tips on reducing a collection

Post by mikea96 »

I have lots of room but I have a very small collection of about 12 cars that are just super cool to me that I don't want to part with. A lot of times I will collect parts for a build and start then just lose interest but there have been some that I see to the end and don't lose interest in and those are the ones I keep.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Instead of reducing the numbers can you reduce the volume and/or footprint of the collection by breaking them down into sub-assemblies and storing them in stackable bins or something like that? It is a tough spot to be in. I've regretted all my past downsizing exercises. Admittedly, some were very stupidly and lazily executed, i.e., dumpster tosses. Just some stuff I'd had forever and didn't think I'd ever have the time or space to sprawl it out and get back into it. Mostly 1/24 &1/25 static car models and stuff and a few vintage RC basketcases. I guess my advice would be (corny) if it "speaks to you", don't get rid of it.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

My only concern with downsizing is a matter of perception , my wife's perception , if my wife thinks there's less then there's room for more :D
More seriously I've only collected those cars I dreamt off for so long , I'd find it hard to evict any .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

I once had a well rounded collection, sold it all. New house, no room, no regrets. I do wish I kept a couple of runners though. Life goes on. I'm just getting really settled in now, and made a nice little area in my garage.... So RC will return on a much smaller scale.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

On sober reflection you may realise that this is the wrong forum to discuss reducing your collection :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

If you need additional locations to "store" them at, I'm sure there would be several volunteers to help. 😁
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Indeed, I have plenty of room :mrgreen:
-Jerry-

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Dadio wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:54 am On sober reflection you may realise that this is the wrong forum to discuss reducing your collection :lol:
+1 :lol:
Yea this is definitely one area I shouldn’t give advice 8)
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

I have so much stuff to keep track of I am even making double posts

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:24 am Instead of reducing the numbers can you reduce the volume and/or footprint of the collection by breaking them down into sub-assemblies and storing them in stackable bins or something like that? It is a tough spot to be in. I've regretted all my past downsizing exercises. Admittedly, some were very stupidly and lazily executed, i.e., dumpster tosses. Just some stuff I'd had forever and didn't think I'd ever have the time or space to sprawl it out and get back into it. Mostly 1/24 &1/25 static car models and stuff and a few vintage RC basketcases. I guess my advice would be (corny) if it "speaks to you", don't get rid of it.
I have some other threads asking about long term storage as well. I am getting to the point where I have ordered parts that I already had because I didn’t have things properly organized. That was in part because I have more parts and projects than make sense for my situation.

I have made a few of those poorly planned dumpster runs myself long before I knew about any resources like rc10talk. I there is standout regret about tossing the associated 1/4 one piece Rc10t wheels as well as the see’s aluminum rc10ds wheels.

I have at least 2 cars I am not conflicted on getting rid of, one is an A stamp proline truck conversion, the other is a sc10 4x4 I haven’t bothered to reassemble.

I’m just seeing how other have approached it. People here have put some serious thought into unserious things.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Dadio wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:54 am On sober reflection you may realise that this is the wrong forum to discuss reducing your collection :lol:
I think this is just the right spot. I bet most folks here have sold at least one car from the collection. All while still personally placing value on this stuff. At some point even the people here stop buying everything they see.

I have only been doing this about a year. Some of you have been I have at this for decades.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:57 am If you need additional locations to "store" them at, I'm sure there would be several volunteers to help. 😁
That may actually be for the best. Why own a car in a box stored in the attic with the holiday decorations when someone else may really appreciate it.

Still I don’t think I have anything special compared to what is posted up here. I have standard eBay fare.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Step #1: Stop buying new-to-you vehicles. You would think this would be common sense, but at least in my regard, it is the toughest obstacle.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

morrisey0 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 pm Step #1: Stop buying new-to-you vehicles. You would think this would be common sense, but at least in my regard, it is the toughest obstacle.
Not getting more cars seems to make sense . I am trying to make space for things that are more interesting.

Seems like I am going to take a few approaches. The easy to part with ones, like the sc10 4x4, I'll clear out.

I may take a novel storage route, full disassembly, clean and rebag them as it was originally boxed. I like the build process most out of the steps, so I am more likely to want to revisit a kit that I need to assemble.

That would leave me with a truck to race and one to bash. I think I'll start there and see how that feels, before I start going through the part bins.