TOMY Intruder - now complete

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dinglem
Approved Member

Re: TOMY Intruder - now complete

Post by dinglem »

Nope, TOMY specific. It just took me a while to gather them all up. If you had all of the parts they offered you could basically build an entire car. They are pretty cool looking.

Screenshot_20210402-230215.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

1300GT

Post by 1300GT »

Lovely looking Intruder! 8)

Problem is now you've driven up Intruder prices!!! :lol: Not just Hotshot prices!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Haha :lol: I don't know about that. These are rare enough to already be super expensive. I always had one on my hit list but didn't think I would actually find one, especially with all of the additional goodies on it that i knew I would want to get it looking like this. The rear GPM wishbones were the hardest part to find. The motormount and Kose driveshafts came from a guy in Australia.

I have seen these go for cRaZy prices in the past, but this has cost around 300pounds to put together, including the odd part sale to offset things, and I now have a pile of additional spares to potentially sell off to offset that a little further.

Nice to have such a rare car anyway. The few I saw in the early 90's ran extremely well, but they struggled to take off against the established competition. Shame really. The design and build quality is something else!

I never really liked the red wheels bitd, but this is the only car i have tried fitting a heap of different alloy wheels to and concluded that the original rims looked better, so I am sticking with them. They do suit the overall look of the car. The rear tyres are brand new Tony kit items as well, which are nice to have. I somehow managed to get hold of two rear pairs along the way.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Dadio wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 pm
It's a great feeling just holding and turning them in your hands , soaked in a 30 year old dream :D
Sounds like when I first met my wife. :shock: :lol:

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

"...every time I see it I just think 'Maximillian' from The Black Hole. :lol:"

We had the LP record movie audio/narration on vinyl with the story jacket/pictures when I was a kid. I remember thumbing thru that and thinking the robot was pretty cool.

Your build here is pretty cool too. 8)
Hope you're doin' something fun.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Just for reference.
Screenshot_20210403-220645.jpg
Screenshot_20210403-220615.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

dinglem wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 pm Nope, TOMY specific. It just took me a while to gather them all up. If you had all of the parts they offered you could basically build an entire car. They are pretty cool looking.
That's awesome, I never thought GPM would've manufactured an entire line of alloy parts just for the Intruder. You're very lucky to snag that set, I bet they lost money on that production run! :mrgreen:

Although some people question GPM's quality, I was impressed enough with the GPM parts I used to resto-mod my RC12L3 Buick GN car and all the rear arms I used for my Optima projects...though those were for a Tamiya DF02. GPM didn't make anything Optima-specific, I don't believe.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Found a few more GPM alloy parts for this so on they go.... super-rare top deck and also the steering link. Just the front and rear gearbox eccentrics to add now. I have also added some Japanese mag decals across the battery straps and switched the motor to a red prism label 30deg 1990 Demon 27turn standard. Starting to look the part now i think.
Screenshot_20220914-231916.jpg

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Very nice looking buggy 8)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Stunning , that Demon looks right at home .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

SUPER-BUMP !! :wink:

You can thank Frankentruck with his recent Tomy engine pic post in “ what did you get in the post today “

Another crazy A$$ build big D !! Beauty ! 8)
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

MarkyDents wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:10 pm SUPER-BUMP !! :wink:

You can thank Frankentruck with his recent Tomy engine pic post in “ what did you get in the post today “

Another crazy A$$ build big D !! Beauty ! 8)
Thanks for your comment 8)

This is one of my favourite builds i think - the red and black contrast really works well. I have fond memories about racing against one of these in the 1991 RRC Series and always wanted one as a result of that. Much underrated i feel. Glad you like it anyway.

sondeen

Post by sondeen »

I glad to see this string got bumped, what a cool car! I must have stepped away from this hobby right when these hit the scene as I have no recollection of TOMY doing anything but kid's toys of all sorts. This is obviously a true hobby grade race car. Now I have another series of vintage cars to learn about. I am curious were these sold in the U.S. back in the day?
Sondeen
RC10 Graphite | RC10 Team Car | RC10 Graphite Team Car | RC10B3
CAT XLS Masami | Ultima [sold]

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Tomy went all in with the Intruder in 1990, and came up with a car which was equal to anything else on the market at that time. I can speak from personal experience having seen Matt Hodgson run his Intruder throughout the 1991 season in the UK. It was quick. Now i have my car i can see why - it was very similar to the Yoke 870c really. I have no idea regarding sales in the US, but i would presume so? They were not a common sight at all in the UK so i am guessing their sales were relatively low. I think i only ever saw three or four cars running in all of my years of racing.