PB Mini Mustang driveshafts

The place for all things PB.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ChrisAdamsTas

PB Mini Mustang driveshafts

Post by ChrisAdamsTas »

Hi All,

My barn-find PB Mini Mustang 4WD needs drive shafts.

I bought some driveshafts off eBay; 65mm with 3mm pins and got halfway through grinding the pins down to fit
the 'stang's coupling but there has to be a better way. I was running out of dremel drum sanders.

Can anyone recommend a compatible driveshaft?

Chris.
Attachments
PB Mini Mustang
PB Mini Mustang

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: PB Mini Mustang driveshafts

Post by Incredible_Serious »

ChrisAdamsTas wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:38 am Hi All,

My barn-find PB Mini Mustang 4WD needs drive shafts.

I bought some driveshafts off eBay; 65mm with 3mm pins and got halfway through grinding the pins down to fit
the 'stang's coupling but there has to be a better way. I was running out of dremel drum sanders.

Can anyone recommend a compatible driveshaft?

Chris.
Chris,

I've never had a problem with using the originals, so have never gone looking... but I know some people have tried to source a universal that fits off the shelf. Not sure of their results as yet.

Did your barn find not come with driveshafts, or do you just not want to use them?

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Good find , as I'm sure your aware the shafts have a large ball and small pin that's not common , a work around that might work is drift pins/roll pins , most roll pins will not just press into a whole but through the middle of a larger size roll pin , so if you use a short larger roll pin then press a smaller longer pin through it then that would still probably be quicker and a better solution than trying to grind the pins , I tried grinding pins myself and the rough surface just ate the slot in the drive cup :(
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I bought a nice set of dogbones for the Marui Shogun I'm restoring, and the length is almost exactly the same as yours. They're listed on AliExpress as 70mm dogbones, but the way they measured them is funky. From end-to-end, they're 70mm; from the outside edges of each crosspin, they're about 67mm. Measuring them correctly, from the center of each crosspin to the other crosspin center, they're pretty close to 65mm. And, you can't beat the price. The shiny ones look great. The crosspins are the correct 2mm, which seems to be the standard for 1/10-scale.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000045406897.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77fb4c4ddD1lI6
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:21 am I bought a nice set of dogbones for the Marui Shogun I'm restoring, and the length is almost exactly the same as yours. They're listed on AliExpress as 70mm dogbones, but the way they measured them is funky. From end-to-end, they're 70mm; from the outside edges of each crosspin, they're about 67mm. Measuring them correctly, from the center of each crosspin to the other crosspin center, they're pretty close to 65mm. And, you can't beat the price. The shiny ones look great. The crosspins are the correct 2mm, which seems to be the standard for 1/10-scale.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000045406897.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77fb4c4ddD1lI6
Problem is the larger ball on the end of the PB dogbones - The outdrives on the PB differentials are bigger than Marui, Kyosho etc.
One way to solve it, could be installing a longer crosspin in a std. "japanese" dogbone, and then mount a slim 2mm spacer on the crosspin to center the ball in the cup.
Gone fishing

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

How big are the PB's balls? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, how much bigger than 5mm diameter are they?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:36 pm How big are the PB's balls? :mrgreen:
PB does stand for Prodigious Balls....

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:36 pm Seriously though, how much bigger than 5mm diameter are they?
So you're asking me to go home and measure my balls?
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:45 pm
Coelacanth wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:36 pm How big are the PB's balls? :mrgreen:
PB does stand for Prodigious Balls....

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:36 pm Seriously though, how much bigger than 5mm diameter are they?
So you're asking me to go home and measure my balls?
Sure, that should only take a minute. Any more than that and you're not measuring 'em, you're pleasuring 'em. :lol:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Found my Mini Mustang box.... and these were in it...
PB Bones.jpg
Top row left to right are:
- Stock dogbones
- Just slightly too short bones
- Slightly too long bones (I think the last 6 are SRM or something)

Bottom row left to right are:
- New stock dogbone pack - my last set.
- Two pairs of one-way bones; of course, three drive one way, and one drives the other :roll: :cry: :shock: :evil:
- Hotshot series bones (Tamiya ones are marked with two lines)

I think the 'too long' ones are all the same length, and most likely Hotshot or Manta Ray or some such length. Not sure if the 'slightly-too-short' ones are an aftermarket version of the other Hotshot bone, or for something else.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I´ve got the silver ones with red balls in my parts box #metoo
And I´ve checked them against Tamiya outdrives, which they seem to big for.
Gone fishing

ChrisAdamsTas

Post by ChrisAdamsTas »

Thanks all.
Thanks for the link Coelacanth I'll give them a go.

FYI the original dogbones were a "dog's breakfast" mix of types.

Chris.
pb-mm-1.jpg

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

From experience its best not to mix metal with plastic shafts , my Mustang has metal UJ's up front and stock plastic at the rear and I get a weird skipping on hard acceleration due to torsional wind up in the plastic rear shafts .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

You're welcome for the link, Chris. Keep in mind I had that link to that specific part because it looked like the PB Mustang's dogbones were very close to the Shogun's. There are a lot of different dogbones available on AliExpress.com, but it takes a lot of careful searching and hopefully finding a seller with clear measurements of each part of the dogbone, because it seems there's no standard to how they're measured. One seller has 65 mm dogbones, but they're measured end-to-end, another one measures them from the outer edge of crosspin-to-crosspin, and another measures them correctly, from the center of each crosspin-to-crosspin. But for the price, if you get a part that doesn't quite fit, it's not the end of the world.

When I was searching for Shogun dogbones, I'm pretty sure I saw some with similar specs but with 6mm balls instead of 5mm.

Nobody has answered yet the salient question: How big are the PB's balls?? :P