NIKKO 'BRAT' Up Works

The place for all things Nikko / Toy Grade.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing

Re: NIKKO 'BRAT' Up Works

Post by JK Racing »

RC Chick, the white 4wd at the top of the page is a Kyosho Optima (Ultima=2wd, Optima=4wd), both had the battery slide through the chassis. The original Optima was also chain drive.

I agree, I love this Nikko and am also infatuated with the Tomy car, both from "toy" makers.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Brat wrote:Yes, standard alloy hexs will be 6mm thick and 12mm in length...

I've modified the Tamiya hexs (6mm thick) to 8mm for the rear and sanded down the standard hex to 4mm thick for the fronts to adapt the Tamiya dish wheels. I've also drilled the center holes to 5mm wide as Tamiya hexes are 4.5mm.

But Bormac had mentioned that he is using the alloy hexes for the wheels. I'm very interested in this wheel setup and hope to know how he does it.

By the way, any idea about Kyosho hexes measurements? For example the thickness and center holes for the ZX5 and RB5?

Also, what's the offset for ZX5 rear wheel or are they the same offset with standard Tamiya wheels?

Thanks.

David

PS: Mr Ed where can I get the 10mm hexes? Is it common?
Mr. ED wrote:oh 6mm is standard?

Front: you can use the RB5 front hexes or hotbodies front hexes(not the optional losi-sized ones).
Or you can use the hotbodies front wheels which sit inward.
(see the pic here: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3705&p=35407#p35407)

Rear: you could use Tamiya F201 hexes which are 10mm thick. They are plastic and can be trimmed to the desired thickness.

Since the axles are 5mm you could also replace the axles by CVD's for the ZX5 or RB5 (if the ball-end and pin fit the cups of the diff-outdrives. You can find 3 different lengths of CVD's just with these 2 cars. The length in the manual refers to the distance from the center of the ball-pin to the center of the crosspin in the cvd part.

( I've been looking into this a lot lately: to get hexes on a YZ-10)
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

You can also use RB5 front hex if its slimmer; maybe 4mm? For the rear, you can use Traxxas Stampede hex hub which is 8mm thick and with 5mm centre hole for the rear.
bormac wrote:I modified some cheap alloy hexes I got off ebay.Yes I drilled them out to 5mm and Im also using the same drive shafts all round.Its only the stub which is the shorter of the 2 different lengths.I also machined the alloy hex down to make it narrower.I did all this the night before a race meeting a while back so you'll have to excuse my lack of specifics.
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

JK Racing wrote:RC Chick, the white 4wd at the top of the page is a Kyosho Optima (Ultima=2wd, Optima=4wd), both had the battery slide through the chassis. The original Optima was also chain drive.

I agree, I love this Nikko and am also infatuated with the Tomy car, both from "toy" makers.
Thanks JK, It was a 2wd so that would make it an Ultima. I'll be looking for one of these soon. Thanks guys

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I've been picking up hexes at random over the last couple years; in all kinds of thickness. That's why I was surprised there's a 'standard'.

Anyway, I broke open a new bag yesterday with blue anodised alloy hexes : with slot for a crosspin and clampscrews.
I believe they were from Cross and for sure there was a mention of TB-02. They were 4mm thick and the center hole is 5 mm all the way through.
(The front hexes of the RB5 sould be even more shallow judging from the inside of the rims.)

The 10 mm hexes were promoted by RCCA, 2 or 3 years ago: on a TLT-1 crawler project to widen its track.
They were tamiya option parts for the F101,102or 103 or F201. ( I looked on the Tamiya USA site but can't find them).

I have no idea how to measure the offset on the ZX5 wheels and RB5 fronts. I only know they make the car about8mm narrower than when using the old wheels and tires. Tamiya currently has different types of wheels and the offset is not equal between these types

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

That standard hex in Tamiya kit are mostly 6mm..

I've also visited alot of website but also can't find the 10mm hex you've mentioned.

I've checked my Brat and the rear hex should be 8mm. I've found that the Traxxas Offset hex for Stampede fit the shoe.

Mmmm...I think the hex for the TB-02 should the the ideal ones. I think the RB5 front hex should have a 5mm to 4.5mm center hole... If that's the case, the TB-02 should be better.

I've visited the Kyosho Distributor in Singapore and I think the ZX5 rear wheels should have a +2mm or +4mm offset as compare to Tamiya's. The Kyosho wheels seems to be sunken in; similar to the RC10B2/B3 rears compare to B4.
Mr. ED wrote:I've been picking up hexes at random over the last couple years; in all kinds of thickness. That's why I was surprised there's a 'standard'.

Anyway, I broke open a new bag yesterday with blue anodised alloy hexes : with slot for a crosspin and clampscrews.
I believe they were from Cross and for sure there was a mention of TB-02. They were 4mm thick and the center hole is 5 mm all the way through.
(The front hexes of the RB5 sould be even more shallow judging from the inside of the rims.)

The 10 mm hexes were promoted by RCCA, 2 or 3 years ago: on a TLT-1 crawler project to widen its track.
They were tamiya option parts for the F101,102or 103 or F201. ( I looked on the Tamiya USA site but can't find them).

I have no idea how to measure the offset on the ZX5 wheels and RB5 fronts. I only know they make the car about8mm narrower than when using the old wheels and tires. Tamiya currently has different types of wheels and the offset is not equal between these types
My collections:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Brat-when do we get to see pictures of your buggy?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Ok , I checked my old mails (2005) and found the nrs inthere:
53345 or OP-345 TL01 Toe-in rear upright set

that 's a plastic tree which has the hexes on it.

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Hi Bormac, I've posted my pics here before. But will post shortly. Now had just finished restoring my Tamiya Striker...
bormac wrote:Brat-when do we get to see pictures of your buggy?
My collections:

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Hi Mr. Ed, you mean the 4mm hex is in the TL-01 rear upright tree? I've got a NIB TL-01LA. Wonder if its there? Will get back and check it out.
Mr. ED wrote:Ok , I checked my old mails (2005) and found the nrs inthere:
53345 or OP-345 TL01 Toe-in rear upright set

that 's a plastic tree which has the hexes on it.
My collections:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

no the 4mm are TB02, the 10mm are TL01

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

I've checked my NIB TL-01LA, the hex are Tamiya standard 6mm thick... :cry:
My collections:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

The number I gave starts with OP, that's short for Option Part.
I never owned such a car, just took over the partner from the rcca article and ordered that with the axles from the same article.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53345
Tamiya53345.jpg
Tamiya53345.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Tamiya53345.jpg
Tamiya53345.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
these are 10 mm, not 6 without a doubt

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

:lol: Im finding it hard to tell what this thread is actually about,is it Nikko BRAT's or hex drives?? ha ha :lol:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980