YZ-10 for dummies? - 93' WCS

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stickboy007
Approved Member

Re: YZ-10 for dummies?

Post by stickboy007 »

Dude. Wow. Real nice.

You bust your butt looking for YZ10 crumbs here and there, and these things jump out of nowhere. Excellent find!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Thanks guys, I just happened to get lucky with this one. I wasn't too excited about it at first but now I can't wait to tear into it.

Is a manual available for this car? I did a search but it didn't return much.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

That is a cool Yokomo WCS you have there. A very nice version to own in any condition as (for the time), it was a high specification buggy made in limited numbers. Some good information can be found in DerbyDan's wonderful rebuild thread here-

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=29446&view=next

Your version looks like it has some racing under its belt. I have seen that rear chassis modification performed on a 1994 YZ10. Setting the belt tension correctly on these cars was important but even more so when using fine pitch belts. I can see that there are ball studs on the rear bulkhead and top deck presumably for a turnbuckle again to aid with the front and rear belt tension. I am not sure if it is because of the angle and flash of the photo but it looks to have the unique grayish chassis finish that some WCS kits versions were supplied with. If you get a chance to take some more photos I would love to see if there are any other custom modifications on this car.

As Crusaderlyf alluded to, some items are not original WCS items. From what I can see, turnbuckles, rod ends, missing FRP steering brace, missing FRP steering rack but this could have been taken off for less aggressive steering, wing mounts and buttons. The YR-4 adjustement plate that jwscab mentioned could come in handy if you plan on running/racing this WCS.

Vin

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Nice score!

Any chance if you can get a pic of the wheel hubs with the wheels off?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Unfortunately my knowledge on Yokomo's is next to nothing and I want to do this car justice. I'm tempted to buy a new Fiberlyte chassis but I doubt this car will ever end up like new, so I'm thinking of just cleaning it up, replacing anything broken, and getting the proper steering rack, turnbuckles and rod ends. A new build would be cool but this car has been well run and obviously has some race history which should be preserved sometimes. I wish I knew a bit of history on this car. I imagine it wasn't cheap for the original owner.

So far I've only stripped the car, cleaned up the chassis, magnesium parts and arms. Funnily enough the bottom of the chassis is in better shape than the top due to using screwdrivers to pry off the electronics over the years.

Were the suspension arms drilled like this from the factory or was it done by the owners? If the later they did a fantastic job.

So far I found new front and rear shock towers, a new inner slipper hub (pulley worn), new belts, and carbon battery straps (they come with black posts). I still need to find the steering rack and top plate but I'll post pics of progress and parts within the next couple of days. I found a carbon top plate but unfortunately it's not the one I want.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for a manual, or help with part numbers that I need? Are the proper C- hubs part #ZC-413A, and the lightweight hardware ZD-LWP?

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

Nothing aggravates me more than a fella using a hammer and chisel to removed an ESC and thus carving a perfectly pretty chassis plate, arrrgghh, exacto that tape man, its easy, it just pops right off lol.

lee

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

A few of the 870c chassis I had were the same way. Well preserved on bottom, and mangled on top. Back in the day, it was popular to use shoe goo, or even zapadapagoo to attach servos and stuff. That stuff can stick right down into the fibers. Being race cars more than play cars, original owners probably also used super glue with the double sticky tape to prevent a race failure.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Here's the chassis after a bit of work.
Attachments
2014-06-15 16.46.42-1.jpg

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Looks pretty dang good 8) I might concentrate on building a nice era correct race WCS, to go along with the race mods

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Here's my parts haul, hopefully I got the right parts. I'm not sure to run the carbon battery straps or the fiberglass ones, most photos show black so I'm leaning toward that although I like the contrast of fiberglass and carbon.

Same with the steering brace and rack so I may get fiberlyte fiberglass units to replace the carbon. I like Charlies idea of a period correct racer which carbon would suit, just not look as cool.
Attachments
2014-06-16 18.27.52-1.jpg
2014-06-16 18.31.08-1.jpg
2014-06-16 18.30.28-1.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Again, not sure if these are the correct C-hubs as the ones on the car are different. These looked more "period" so I got them instead. I figured the person before me broke one and replaced them with a later model part. The other c-hubs were ZC-413C, which upon a search actually seem like the ones I need. :roll:

As for a picture of hubs and mods etc here's an all in one. The inner sheilds from the bearings have been removed, and I'm not sure if the little bulkhead plate is standard or not. I can't think for the life of me what would have bolted to it (something was at some stage though). It looks like someone center punched the bulkhead between the holes but didn't drill it for some reason.
Attachments
2014-06-16 18.31.44-1.jpg
2014-06-16 18.57.52-1.jpg
2014-06-16 19.01.09-1.jpg

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

You just popped down to the LHS for these? :shock: Sweet!

The belts are 262t and 95t for the 2mm WCS, unless that rear end mod was specific to using the works 92' belts by design. The original steering rack and brace were fiberglass, and the battery straps were a different finish (as far as I have seen) but the parts you have there are correct.

Your car might have some real race pedigree with some of the mods I am seeing...

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

My bulkhead looks different to other 93 WCS's. Bummer about the belt, my belt is fine but replacing it couldn't hurt. Most straps look like black fiberglass but I bought those mainly for the black posts. I got the part number from Alex's WSC, although mine has an S at the end.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Every WCS that I have noticed came with white battery posts from the box. The rear bulkhead definitely has been massaged nicely. Masami also reworked (with a dremel) his rear bulkhead for Basildon to keep the rocks flowing out of the rear transmission-

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Wow! How did i miss this beauty! It sounds like we have both come into 93WCS ownership somewhat blindly - I remember when I first posted up photos of my car that I wasn't 100% sure what I had, but of course the knowlegable on this forum were soon able to confirm exactly what I had. http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17274

Good luck with the re-build - I think you will be suprised how well these cars come up with a little elbow grease! 8) These WCS cars were produced in such small numbers that there doesn't seem to be a 100% definitive specification but if you follow my link above & go to page2 you will see some photos of Kenooze's new-built car - which I think is a pretty good example of the kit spec. My car has black steering bellcranks & battery posts - aswell as black GRP battery straps (as per Masami's car) but as it seems mine may have been a pre-production model - that probably isn't representative of what was included in the actual production Kit