Seabass's ReRe OG Racer

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

Seabass's ReRe OG Racer

Post by Seabass »

Hey guys, got my kit and I am about 3/4 complete with the assembly. Still waiting on the bearings so I can finish building the tranny. Didn't take pics because I am building the car straight from the box. I struggled with the decision on how to build the car but finally came up with an idea. I started digging in the limited RC stuff I currently have and found some 2.2 tires. Since I plan on running the car and I want to keep the OG wheels, I cut the 2.2 tires and glued them back together where they would fit the OG wheels.

The rear tires look short but they should work fine. I may have to play around with the gearing a bit to get where I need to be. The shock tires were not going to cut it for me, and I didn't feel like waiting around to see if tires are ever available.

I have two bodies I am painting for the car, the Protech and another. The reason for the two bodies is simple, the Protech for racing, the second kind of re-living my youth and what I thought was cool.

Don't mind the high riding rear end, I will be going with either 1.02 shocks or running 1.02 shock shafts to keep from having to run shock limiters in the rear.
Attachments
100_0244.jpg
100_0243.jpg
100_0242.jpg

integra22t
Approved Member

Re: Seabass's RE RC10 Build

Post by integra22t »

how did you cut the tire down ? and what did you use to put it back together ?

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

That looks great! I like the tires you cut down. Pretty neat looking all mounted up one those wheels.
Jeff

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Remove the OG tire and lock ring. Cut a section out of your 2.2 tire and start fitting around your OG wheel until you get a good fit. Take tire glue and glue the tire back together. You may be able to get away with using the retaining rign to lock your new tire to the wheel but in reality you may be better off gluing the tires to the wheels. You will also need to cut a set of foams the same way to stuff inside the tire. All four tires do have foams inserted.

Cut a small section out of your tire then fit the tire around the wheel to judge how much more you need to remove. I know for a fact these tires will hook up better than what came in the box while retaining the OG look I am going for.

Jake
Attachments
100_0246.jpg
100_0245.jpg

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

jesus christ jake, this is the most boring car that i've seen you build. i was expecting milling done to the chassis, motor plate, shocks, nose plate, etc.. still looks good with nothing milled. lol

you should drill a set of inner shock mounting holes on the rear tower, and mount your bottom shocks out to the last mounting holes on your arms. that should cure your high riding buggy.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

After you go over a couple of jumps are the tires gonna hold together ????
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

They should hold together since they will also be glued on the wheels. Lots of glue holding them together, if not, not a big deal, will get some new wheels :mrgreen:

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I've done the cut-n-shut on tires many many times, usually to make custom 4wd front tires (so yes, the method works great).

Jake, looks great, finish it up and put some track time on it already!!
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

rubberized ca glue like ic-2000 is awesome for cut and shuts. very durable.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Neat idea Jake, but I would have narrowed the rears as well, the wide is just not looking right!

X3 on cutting and gluing tires, if the surface is clean and you use good tire CA, then it works perfect! Done this on 4WD buggy fronts, works perfect! BK I think is the master of doing this, been making custom tires for years!

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Rod, the good thing is the tires are not glued to the wheels just yet. I agree they are a bit on the wide side and narrowing the tires would look better. I tried a spare front tire I had but it was just not quite wide enough to fit the rear wheel properly.

I will narrow the rear tires about 1/4 inch and they should look great and perform well.

Still waiting on the bearings for the car before I go any further. I sure wish my shipment from Korea would come in. I don't have any electronics right now and most of my tools are with the shipment as well.

Jake

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I narrowed the tires 1/4 and they turned out great. Tires are now glued to the wheels, no turning back now. Once the bearing get to the hose, I will finish the tranny. Hopefully I can find some 1.02 shocks shafts and get my rear shocks done. If the shafts don't fix the length problems I will have to wait for my stuff coming from Korea before I can finish the car.

Pics later.

Jake

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Nice Jake. :D

A while back I was real close to trying this with a 1/8 tire (front with insert) cut and glued onto the jelly bean wheel, thinking the taller profile would mimic the oe tire. Someone should go for it. I'm still not sure if one could get it cleanly wrapped, as you'd have to cut a BIG wedge out of a 1/8 tire.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I bet a truck tire would work great for this application. Has a taller sidewall which would get you closer to the oe tire and you would not have to worry about cutting a huge chunk out since the wheel is very close to the same diameter.

Great idea.

Jake

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I got the paint done on the body. Went with my standard and boring race scheme just because I have never come up with anything else I really liked. Plus this is the of the very few paint jobs I can make look decent. The Protech body in the middle will be the body for this car. Since I was painting, I decided to throw some paint on the bodies for my other cars in the fleet.

Still waiting on those dang bearings so I can call this one done. Well I won't officially be done until my stuff from Korea arrives.

Jake
Attachments
100_0248.jpg