overspray

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: overspray

Post by Coelacanth »

MattyCJ7 wrote:I ended up using mcquires scratchX auto scratch remover and it worked real well with a bit of elbow grease. I think it would do a good job of generally polishing up a shell after it gets a bit worn as well.
That's true Matty, any brand of automotive clear-coat polish/scratch & swirl remover would be useful to polish Lexan. I've used Nu-Finish Scratch Doctor, that works great too.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Polishing is a good option. BITD if I didn't have time to paint a body for a big race, I would strip all the stickers, and polish the body on a buffing wheel. The lexan buffs out really well. Then just apply new stickers, and it looks like a new body. -Jeff

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

For minor overspray on lexan I use the Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner... see it here on Tamiya's website: http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87118polycarbonate/index.htm. I use it between colours for any runs, bleeds, and overspray, and also to clean windows that have been affected by my sucky masking jobs.

They say you could de-paint a complete bodyshell with it.... but I won't be doing that, too much effort! Great for small cleanup jobs though. I've found that the nitro fuel we have over here doesn't seem to do anything to Tamiya-branded polycarb paint except make it smell funky.... so it's PBC all the way for me!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

tommy2c
Approved Member

Post by tommy2c »

Not sure how it would work on lexan but those clay-bar systems work great for overspray on clear coat and windows. In case you'd happen to have one and are doing experiments on scrap lexan.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

This:
Attachments
p84711z.jpg
p84711z.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
p84711z.jpg
p84711z.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Gary

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

[quote="Incredible_Serious"]For minor overspray on lexan I use the Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner...

Best stuff for overspray period.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

DHood
Approved Member

Post by DHood »

Dynamite makes a great body cleaner. Removes paint and overspray with ease.
http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN5506

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Denatured alcohol and a cotton ball. Leaves no residue, dries completely. Does not harm any plastics/lexans.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Drive faster. Never see it.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

scr8p wrote:Drive faster. Never see it.
Or just drive in the mud & dirt. :wink:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Coelacanth wrote:
gomachv wrote:I use dot4 brake fluid to remove a complete paint job, works great. If your careful it should work great on the outside as well. Always best to test on a scrap piece but I have never had brake fluid harm my plastics though I have seen it fog some plastics a bit (never for me)
DOT4 definitely fogged a body for me. Just saying for information's sake.

I agree its not a good solution for everyone and every type of body, as it can sometimes fog, but I was able to take the poorly painted inside and out cox gtp down to bare in a few hours with some dot4

It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

gomachv wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
gomachv wrote:I use dot4 brake fluid to remove a complete paint job, works great. If your careful it should work great on the outside as well. Always best to test on a scrap piece but I have never had brake fluid harm my plastics though I have seen it fog some plastics a bit (never for me)
DOT4 definitely fogged a body for me. Just saying for information's sake.

I agree its not a good solution for everyone and every type of body, as it can sometimes fog, but I was able to take the poorly painted inside and out cox gtp down to bare in a few hours with some dot4
Thanks for the tip. I have quite a few nice bodies that I acquired thru auctions or trades that I'm going to try this on.

Do you submerge it or just scrub it?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I use a large tin and paint it on, let it soak until I see the paint curdle. I use the same brush to splash on some more and usually the paint wipes right off

Again though, its not safe on all bodies, YMMV! It has worked great for me so far, even did a set of foamies that were still mounted, paint came right off and didn't hurt foam
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Trust me, these bodies are beyond anymore harm than the painters have already done! :shock: Some of them by me! :lol: Thanks!
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Trust me, these bodies are beyond anymore harm than the painters have already done! :shock: Some of them by me! :lol: Thanks!
That's cool, let us know your success rate :mrgreen:
Factory Works website