What your workstation looks like?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GreenBar0n

Re: What your workstation looks like?

Post by GreenBar0n »

Not as neat as the rest of you, but I roll this bench in to the music room when necessary.

Seville Classics HD bench, height adjustable, and can add wheels, drawers and other accessories. The top scratches a bit too easily, but the rest of this thing is built like a truck.
https://www.sevilleclassics.com/collections/workbench-variants

caesar

Post by caesar »

My new Workstation/shed now has a roof. Going to need more rc stuff to fill it :D

20240301_161204.jpg

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

caesar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:33 am My new Workstation/shed now has a roof. Going to need more rc stuff to fill it :D

20240301_161204.jpg
Looking good Rob, that's an awesome space for your stuff. We could always Malcolm / Mythbusters up the blue beast, if you really need more RC vehicles in there ;)
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:35 am Looking good Rob, that's an awesome space for your stuff.
Do I sound as jealous as I feel? :oops: :mrgreen: :shock: :lol:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

caesar

Post by caesar »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:37 am
Incredible_Serious wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:35 am Looking good Rob, that's an awesome space for your stuff.
Do I sound as jealous as I feel? :oops: :mrgreen: :shock: :lol:
You can come over anytime once it's done.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Forgive me if I've already posted about this somewhere ... search came up empty. It's something I've been struggling with for a while, but now there's a deadline. I'm getting some new carpet installed, and one of the legs on my workbench is almost guaranteed to break when moved. I need to replace it with something that will allow the chair to slide underneath the tabletop, preferably with a workspace large enough to accommodate my 1/5 monster Arrma Kraton 8S (with the wheels off). With my existing setup, I find myself standing more often than not, which severely limits the amount of time I can wrench on my cars.

I've posted about this elsewhere and can't escape the "it's so easy, just get a bunch of plywood from Home Depot blah blah" ... I've been on this earth long enough to know what I'm good at, and furniture building is not one of them. I know that'd be the best way to get what I want, but I need something off the shelf. If assembly is required, I'll hire someone to do it. I like having a power source, a few drawers & the pegboard, but all of that is secondary to the chair position.. most of them have some of the structure in the way, forcing someone my size (and most others I imagine) to hunch over. This causes me to constantly lose parts when I'm not 100% over the tabletop. My vacuum cleaner probably has a dozen spare e-clips & set screws.

This is the one I have today:
58695_W3.jpg

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

sundevil67 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:17 am OK, I really need some ideas here for a new setup. I'll get this out of the way now, because I already know the most common response - I CANNOT BUILD A CUSTOM WORKBENCH. At this age, I know what I'm good at, and what I'll wind up paying someone to fix/finish after I screw it up. Building furniture is in the latter category. I need something "off the shelf".

This Harbor Freight workbench has served me very well for $99, but the leg is bent & almost certain to break when I move it to replace the carpet soon...but that's OK, because I have to make a change. I have an elevated bar stool with a back rest, but can't slide the chair under the tabletop, so I either slump over the workspace, or stand, because if I sit up straight, which I really have to - then I am working over my lap, and allowing every tiny screw & e-ring to fall into onto the floor (and usually into the void).

I MUST find something that lets me slide my chair UNDER the desk. Ideally, it'd have a workspace able to accommodate my obscenely large 1/5 Kraton (pictured), without breaking the bank. If I have to just get a large table & hang a separate pegboard on the wall, I suppose I could, but I'd really like something with drawers so I can chuck the plastic crap.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1553.JPG
What about some butcher board and wall brackets? I hung these separate for 2 kids but they could be joined. Pick your height.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

mAdMan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:20 pm
What about some butcher board and wall brackets? I hung these separate for 2 kids but they could be joined. Pick your height.
I looked at a few like that, and while I love the idea of the floor space saved, I'd rather have a larger tabletop ... that 5th scale truck is a monster, and I already drop parts too much! Thank you for the suggestion

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Rotate them 90 degrees and join 3 of them and you have 24” x 60” which is a bit larger then my current 20” x 60” harbor fright bench

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

What’s the wheelbase and track width on it? I’d figure add 3 inches to each side and a foot front and back?

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

sundevil67 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:56 am Forgive me if I've already posted about this somewhere ... search came up empty. It's something I've been struggling with for a while, but now there's a deadline. I'm getting some new carpet installed, and one of the legs on my workbench is almost guaranteed to break when moved. I need to replace it with something that will allow the chair to slide underneath the tabletop, preferably with a workspace large enough to accommodate my 1/5 monster Arrma Kraton 8S (with the wheels off). With my existing setup, I find myself standing more often than not, which severely limits the amount of time I can wrench on my cars.

I've posted about this elsewhere and can't escape the "it's so easy, just get a bunch of plywood from Home Depot blah blah" ... I've been on this earth long enough to know what I'm good at, and furniture building is not one of them. I know that'd be the best way to get what I want, but I need something off the shelf. If assembly is required, I'll hire someone to do it. I like having a power source, a few drawers & the pegboard, but all of that is secondary to the chair position.. most of them have some of the structure in the way, forcing someone my size (and most others I imagine) to hunch over. This causes me to constantly lose parts when I'm not 100% over the tabletop. My vacuum cleaner probably has a dozen spare e-clips & set screws.

This is the one I have today:
58695_W3.jpg
Check out these if you require the peg board and drawers.
https://www.sevilleclassics.com/collections/workcenter

Put the locking wheels on it to make it mobile, and a bit taller.