Project Blue Eagle LS

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Project Blue Eagle LS

Post by 3trxvintage »

Very excited about this truck! Overall the truck arrived from Ebay in very good shape with almost every part included. It looked like the truck was used only once or twice then collected dust for 20 years.

I am going to use the Team Blue Groove nitro hawk body. I cross checked the part numbers and found out the nitro hawk and the blue eagle ls use the exact same body.
Attachments
How the heck do you mount a servo on this thing?
How the heck do you mount a servo on this thing?
DSC01532.JPG
Few if any scratches. Serial number was still intact!
Few if any scratches. Serial number was still intact!
DSC01530.JPG
DSC01529.JPG
All original white parts were included except gear cover.
All original white parts were included except gear cover.
DSC01527.JPG
DSC01526.JPG
DSC01525.JPG
DSC01524.JPG

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Re: Project Blue Eagle LS

Post by 3trxvintage »

More pics!
Attachments
DSC01543.JPG
DSC01542.JPG
DSC01541.JPG
DSC01540.JPG
DSC01539.JPG
DSC01538.JPG
DSC01537.JPG
Few if any scratches were found on the bottom.
Few if any scratches were found on the bottom.
DSC01535.JPG
DSC01534.JPG

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

More pics!
Attachments
DSC01553.JPG
DSC01552.JPG
Blue Eagle LS compared to SRT
Blue Eagle LS compared to SRT
DSC01549.JPG
DSC01548.JPG
DSC01547.JPG
DSC01546.JPG
Original tires were included. Looks like they have never been used!
Original tires were included. Looks like they have never been used!
DSC01544.JPG

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's coming along beautifully! Great attention to detail and the chassis is looking fantastic so far.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

Thanks for the comment. The truck cleaned up very nice! The body I will probably get is the one in the pics from TBG racing.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

3trxvintage wrote:A few questions... How can I join the Traxxas forum? Any luck with emails that work?
most of the guys from the vintage section are here except for a few. Have no idea how to join the forum though besides just registering there :? harry697 is a blue eagle LS fan and I think he might still have his NIB kit so be patient and he'll end up showing up here :wink: . It is lookin good and glad to see some traxxas pre-rtr fanatics still out there.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

Very nice Ls blue eagle, I've had one for years and still haven't finished it, good info on the body.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Nice truck! Very nice! Is that the one that just ended last week with a Novak esc and original decal sheet? If so, you're welcome cuz I almost went for that thing. :lol: I was ready to throw an insane number up there, but I had a feeling that my wife may have been looking over my shoulder. :wink:

I have an original white gear cover, but it's my only one as of right now and need it for my LS-II shelfer. Thought I had a NIP cover until I opened it up and tried to install with no luck. Turns out it's a TRX-3 cover after I re-read the label. :oops:

I'll get those pics up ASAP, but hopefully the PM I just sent you will work for now.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

3trxvintage wrote:
How do you mount a servo on the truck? There are no holes.

I totally forgot about that. I guess I've just been assuming that there were mounting holes in the chassis, but just looked and sure enough there aren't. I remember using servo tape back in the day. Trinity had that real sticky stuff that was almost impossible to remove from the chassis when you were done with it. 3M also has a nice thick white double-sided tape that will secure a servo nicely.

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

Hey harry,

Ya this was the truck that was for sale last week. With the one picture he provided I had no idea how the condition of the truck was. As mentioned before I think it was only run a couple of times then went into hibernation for a few years. Thanks for the pics. Look forward to seeing your NIB LS. I posted the LS pics in the forum for reference. Hopefully Gixer jay the owner of the truck does not mind if I use his picture. A few more questions about the LS.

-It looks like it uses the same transmission gears as the SRT is this correct?

-Is the LS I have box stock? It looks a little different then the LS in the box art photo? The one with the brown and yellow body has more black parts and a different front bumper.

I was thinking about cropping an image from this box and posting it in paint shop. Then all I need to do is print the image out on decal paper and just like that I could have homemade LS decals. Refer to my picture to see what I am talking about.

I might very carefully drill holes for the servo. Then use a countersunk drill bit for the bottom of the chassis to give it a flush look.

Anyways harry good to finally get in touch with you. I have yet to find an email address that works on the traxxas online community so you can find me here. Always been a big fan of your projects and cars, and speaking of cars how many traxxas vintage vehicles do you have?
Attachments
Blue eagle decals.png
getuserimage.jpg

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

3trxvintage wrote:Hey harry,

Ya this was the truck that was for sale last week. With the one picture he provided I had no idea how the condition of the truck was. As mentioned before I think it was only run a couple of times then went into hibernation for a few years. Thanks for the pics. Look forward to seeing your NIB LS. I posted the LS pics in the forum for reference. Hopefully Gixer jay the owner of the truck does not mind if I use his picture. A few more questions about the LS.

-It looks like it uses the same transmission gears as the SRT is this correct?

-Is the LS I have box stock? It looks a little different then the LS in the box art photo? The one with the brown and yellow body has more black parts and a different front bumper.

I was thinking about cropping an image from this box and posting it in paint shop. Then all I need to do is print the image out on decal paper and just like that I could have homemade LS decals. Refer to my picture to see what I am talking about.

I might very carefully drill holes for the servo. Then use a countersunk drill bit for the bottom of the chassis to give it a flush look.

Anyways harry good to finally get in touch with you. I have yet to find an email address that works on the traxxas online community so you can find me here. Always been a big fan of your projects and cars, and speaking of cars how many traxxas vintage vehicles do you have?

Yes,trans is the same as the SRT. Only real difference is the LS has the older 4620 ball diff and the SRT uses the 2520 pro-diff.

Your truck appears stock. The black plastics came later on with the Traxxas line-up. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a Blue Eagle with black plastics. I only remembered them being offered as replacement parts later on, but could be wrong. Reason your bumper looks different is because the one in the pic is cut down. If you ever get ahold of an original manual, it will give you instructions on how to cut it. More race-ish I suppose.

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Lucky duck! I was bidding on that one!

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

Found some decals today that may work with the TBG body. They are from a nitro sport.
Attachments
$(KGrHqN,!icE4uDZG-NoBOLz9Qmqzg~~0_12.jpg

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

I have a brand new uncut decal sheet for the Nitro Hawk, and I'm pretty sure its the same headlights/grill as the LS2. The decal sheet is silver. I need to find out if it can be reproduced somehow. It would look great on your body.

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

That would be great if you could reproduce those! I think you are right about the LS-2 and nitro hawk sharing the same front grill. In fact i think the nitro hawk, LS-2 and SRT all share the same grill. I could be wrong though. I will provide a pic of the SRT front grill for reference.
Attachments
Grill.jpg