tomy intruder and adonis

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JamieB
Approved Member

Re: tomy intruder and adonis

Post by JamieB »

I certainly don't have one of them. Did they come with the Intruder or EX or was it part of a mod people bought at the time?

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

It was an option from Tomy. Not included in any of the kits.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Looks like a simple basic slipper assembly from Minimini pics. Aside from modifying a layshaft, it should be an easy mod from Yokomo parts.

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

It's the only slipper I know of for a car that only affects the rear belt, hence RTC - Rear Traction Control

DemZ
Approved Member

Post by DemZ »

Hi I'm new to this forum so i hope you dont mind me asking, im a huge fan of the intruder and would have loved to own one when i was younger but like alot of people couldnt afford it and just recently found one for sale for $1500US and was wondering if that is a fair price, i have looked everywhere and can only find one for sale that is brand new unbuilt in the box so i have no other prices to compare it too, thanks your advise would be greatly appreciated as i have no clue what they sell for.

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

In my opinion, not a fair price. I paid 100.00 for my adonis brand new,, many years ago. A used intruder can be had for ,,, 250.00 ish but you got to grab them quick because EVERYBODY is looking for them.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Responded to the $1500 question in another thread. Just my view. I will however say if someone does have a built car for $250 and want to send to the UK then I will be interested. Obviously this is an invitation for the scam merchant so I would have to verify your reputable status. I don't think anyone would sell a Tomy Intruder for $250 if they genuinely know the value of these cars. Any cars of any value or spare let me know and I will discuss a price.

At my local club, they seemed to do OK against most other cars. I cant comment if they ever won any major victories but from my research the answer would be no. Still, I think the Tomy cars are an icon of RC history and should be treated with the respect they deserve. I would not agree 99% were binned.

Any one know the actual number of cars produced?

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

I guess I shouldnt have addressed value issues in this forum,,Thats roughly what I paid for mine just a few months ago,, but I jumped on it almost as soon as it was listed. Its also one of only 2 or 3 Ive seen listed in about 6-7 years...course i dont search them all the time.

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

The value thing again eh.....everyone has their own opinions and we are all entitled to have.

Did anyone see that NIB Intruder (not Adonis) sell for £40 (yes forty pounds) which is less than $60 US (yes under sixty USD) a few months ago? The seller just wanted rid of his old kit and it went to New Zealand where it has been built. Can't believe I missed that one! :)

A NIB Adonis is no way worth $1500 I'd agree. Especially as it is the basic model. If it were a NIB Intruder EX then I would probably agree with the valuation.

There's also a Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special on eBay for $3500 which is too high but as has been said, it is worth what someone is willing to pay and if someone is willing to pay $3500 then good luck to the seller I say!

In reality and on the whole, what people list items for on eBay is not a true representation of it's value.

I have paid £100 for a Turbo Optima Mid and I have also paid £800 for a Turbo Optima Mid, it's swings and roundabouts (just don't tell my wife)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

wydraz wrote:In reality and on the whole, what people list items for on eBay is not a true representation of it's value.
Indeed. "Completed listings" is what people ought to search to estimate an item's value; not the sellers' start bids.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

NIB Intruder for less than £40 :cry: I check the listings every day, how did I miss this. It was my destiny.

TamiyaDan, nice post and very informative. I use to race back in the day only at club level and from memory it was a very small club. I kinda remember when the Intruder came out and that is about as much as I can recall. Good times and good memories.

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

I was also happy with what my New Build EX reached :) the main reason I sold it was as Dan says, I was too scared to paint or run it - I have a box art EX runner with genuine Tomy carbon upgrades - that makes me smile whenever I see it. I love the fact that the EX is so rare, in fact I hope mine is the only one running at vintage meets whenever I make it to race and that is really what my collection focuses on.

(1) Cars I had as a kid in the 1/10 off road hayday (1987 to 1994 in my eyes)
(2) Cars I wanted as a kid
(3) Both of the above were focused on the championship winning cars.

Hence my category (3) collection is mainly focused around the Cat XL/XLS, RC10's, Yokomo wcs93, oodles of Optimas and Optima Mids, Lazers too. The odd PB, Tomy, Astute, Egress, Avante and other Kyosho's fit into categories (1) and (2).

After I got into R/C with Tyco's and Nikko's, my first kit 2wd was an RC10 and my first kit 4wd was a Turbo Optima Mid.

Dan R

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

There is a NIB Ex on ebay now :P just wish I had the money!