So, what did you do RC today?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple

Re: So, what did you do RC today?

Post by silvertriple »

morrisey0 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:49 pm Spent a little time in the evenings this week learning Tinkercad. It is elementary, but SO MUCH better than Sketchup for this type of thing. I should have done this years ago! The grouping / ungrouping, aligning, easy beveled edges, etc, is just so much easier!

So, this is my first non-Sketchup design. I don't have the actual part, so I am just guessing on most of it. All I really know is the diameter and length of the motor it is going on. Eager to get it printed, but the machine is occupied for the next 15 hours or so.

edit: as I posted this, I realized I didn't like the angle on the top "cone" piece of the part. Literally, 45 seconds to ungroup that piece from the rest, and change the top radius to be a bit wider, and group the whole thing back together. That would have taken me forever in Sketchup.
design 2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Nice! small advice here : consider Fusion360, as you will be very quickly limited with Tinkercad...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:12 am Nice! small advice here : consider Fusion360, as you will be very quickly limited with Tinkercad...
Fusion360 may be a bit too old dog, new trick. :)
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

morrisey0 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:02 am
silvertriple wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:12 am Nice! small advice here : consider Fusion360, as you will be very quickly limited with Tinkercad...
Fusion360 may be a bit too old dog, new trick. :)
Well... I started with Tinkercad, and I know precisely what I'm talking about regarding limitations... Fusion360 is from the same editor and is really more powerfull. And I'm not alone to say that. Worth trying... Have a look at some of my Nichimo, Hirobo or the Marui Super Wheelie/Big Bear threads...

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Built a Tamiya kit for the first time. Lunchbox Black Edition. Still need to paint the body though.
IMG_20230714_173443977.jpg
IMG_20230714_200548806.jpg
IMG_20230715_184721302.jpg
Fun little build but I do wish they organized the hardware in a way that made sense build wise, ended up having to just dump all the bags into a big box.

Also, it's very true to the original and designed to hold stick packs with rounded edges and makes trying to jam a full sized Lipo in it hard. My thin shorty packs fit at least, just need to run it with a velcro strap around it. Definitely fun little truck to drive, actually a little bit faster than I expected it to be.

Also got a new pair of CVD bones on my XX-4 so now it matches
IMG_20230714_170532957.jpg
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

radioactivity

Post by radioactivity »

I spent a little time on Fusion 360. Have very little knowledge of the program so it took a while.
It is supposed to be an idler for a Kyosho TOMSE rear gear box.
I think I got the tooth count, Mod , pressure angle and dimensions correct.
Finding the pressure angle almost broke my brain. :shock:

Idler.JPG
Chuck
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:00 am Well... I started with Tinkercad, and I know precisely what I'm talking about regarding limitations... Fusion360 is from the same editor and is really more powerfull. And I'm not alone to say that. Worth trying... Have a look at some of my Nichimo, Hirobo or the Marui Super Wheelie/Big Bear threads...
I completely get that a great CAD app in the hands of someone that knows how to use it can do great things. My point was simply that I don't know if I have the time or patience to learn something as complex right now. With that in mind though, I did start into a series of 16 beginner tutorials on Fusion360 for a little while this morning. At its core, it doesn't seem all that foreign compared to Sketchup. But, I got stuck on like lesson two and couldn't make some blue lines turn black, and got frustrated and did something else for the day. I will look at it again with fresh eyes sometime later.

This evening, I finished printing the top portion of the top of my Landy, and got the trans mounted in the Hilux. Made the wheels purdy was I was at it.
Attachments
work done 7-15-23.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

radioactivity wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:19 pm I think I got the tooth count, Mod , pressure angle and dimensions correct.
Here's a trick for you, go on sdp-si.com and find a gear with the tooth count and pitch you need, they have cad models for all of em. Stick a hole in the center of the gear and add your own bearing or drive to it. You can easily split the gear and narrow or widen it as needed too. I trust sdp-si more than I trust myself 😁

Oh and this was what I did RC today. Finally got some display cases (although they will be here Tuesday)
Attachments
Screenshot_20230715_102504_Facebook.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

radioactivity wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:19 pm I spent a little time on Fusion 360. Have very little knowledge of the program so it took a while.
You may have totally overthought it : an Idler is dumb easy to do in Fusion 360 : there is a spur gear plugin included out of the box to deal with it. And in case you want to do an internal gear, there is FM Gears free plugin that allows to do it, and also included other elements around gears...
morrisey0 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:26 pm I completely get that a great CAD app in the hands of someone that knows how to use it can do great things. My point was simply that I don't know if I have the time or patience to learn something as complex right now. With that in mind though, I did start into a series of 16 beginner tutorials on Fusion360 for a little while this morning. At its core, it doesn't seem all that foreign compared to Sketchup. But, I got stuck on like lesson two and couldn't make some blue lines turn black, and got frustrated and did something else for the day. I will look at it again with fresh eyes sometime later.
I clearly understand this (even if it doesn't look like this, I've gone thru the same phase :-). At the end, the only thing I can say about this : Trying hard enough many times is the root of success in the matter. When I started working on the Marui Samurai rims, I had 0 knwoledge of Fusion360. And When I started the Nichimo Spirit FF, I had only the Samurai rims behind me...

radioactivity

Post by radioactivity »

silvertriple wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:09 am
radioactivity wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:19 pm I spent a little time on Fusion 360. Have very little knowledge of the program so it took a while.
You may have totally overthought it : an Idler is dumb easy to do in Fusion 360 : there is a spur gear plugin included out of the box to deal with it. And in case you want to do an internal gear, there is FM Gears free plugin that allows to do it, and also included other elements around gears...

silvertriple
I have used SketchUp so I have a very basic understanding of cad.
I did use the gear plug in and it was easy. Getting all the chamfers and fillets was easy too.
It was my understanding that determining the pressure angle is important.
I used Ivan law's circular approximation to the involute curve and found that more time consuming.
Maybe I'm wrong...

Chuck
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

radioactivity wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:40 am I have used SketchUp so I have a very basic understanding of cad.
I did use the gear plug in and it was easy. Getting all the chamfers and fillets was easy too.
It was my understanding that determining the pressure angle is important.
I used Ivan law's circular approximation to the involute curve and found that more time consuming.
Maybe I'm wrong...
Well, theorically, you should consider the pressure angle based on all the gears that come in contact together. By default it is 20°, but for bigger gears you may go lower angle to increase tolerance for smaller gears in contact... On my side, I did not bother and kept it default. That may be a mistake on my side, but since printed gears works, it seems fine.

LoCoCNC
Approved Member

Post by LoCoCNC »

Today I realized that Kyosho Velvet shocks come in two different diameters! The VVC? Are big bores! Going to put these on my Dirt Master build.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Finished this Tamiya Stadium Blitzer. This one has a real Tamiya body and MCI decals. Except for the grill, I went with box art colors.
Screenshot_20230717_180254_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230717_180236_Gallery.jpg
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

And here it is, with all its siblings.
Screenshot_20230717_181945_Gallery.jpg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

A couple small upgrades to the B4.

Add big bore springs on the original V1 shocks, using upper collars from Frankentruck and B5 cups.

Also swapped the bend prone (three were already bent) old style turnbuckles for the newer M3 type.
Screenshot_20230718_143324_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230718_143349_Gallery.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Got a cool gyroscopic power driver a few weeks ago and finally bought some nice hex bits to make it useful. It's a bit annoying though that MIP didn't actually label the bits, but instead just included label stickers and clear shrink wrap to go over the labels.
PXL_20230704_210905216.jpg
Screenshot_20230719-161702.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"