Approved Member

Re: My Losi XX CR Kinwald rebuild thread

Post by mamadoesntletme »

got the xx kinwald edit decals if interested

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

I have found another donor chassis sitting in a box feeling sorry for itself, here it is soaking in degreaser:

Main items of the find:

This was an original first generation kit XX, most of it still in tact inc old style rear arms, plastic chassis etc... May be another rebuild for another time......

Now a question: did the XX CR Kinwald come with a black or white bulkhead in the kit? Mine has been running white since the late 90s, but as I have a black one now (along with a spare blue one) which one should I use? I'm thinking of going blue actually, but to be updated at a later date.......

Back to the build --->

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Instead of using the original ti nitride shaft shocks, I decided to first rebuild a set of XXX threaded shocks that I had spare, mainly for performance benefits (this car is set to be a runner!).

The XXX shocks did have ti nitride shafts, and were relatively clean. Few marks from rollovers, but nothing major:

In the shock stand with all new hardware in the background:

Cleaned up and ready for new fluid:

Filled and ready to be reassembled:

Reassembled and ready to go:

Same process for the fronts, all new hardware for the fitting.

Few more little jobs to be done, including changing out one of the front bulkhead hinge pins (for the upper brace) for a ti nitride item:

Fitted in it's rightful place:

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Another job that I have done is to replace all the rod ends with the correct length RPM blue items, now all fitted along with the shocks:

Front:

So now for an overall picture of how the build is progressing. I have fitted the correct wheels also for his model I believe, camber set to -1 deg front and rear. Need to set the toe in on the front properly when the servo is powered up. Rear toe I measured at 2 degrees, so my trinity plate is a 2 deg plate.

Ok, so what next: I have a new RPM gear cover on the way, along with an Xcellerator body and V wing. I have some trinity wing buttons, trinity blue rear hubs, and a load of other hardware also coming inc blue shock mounts, new shock cartridges, bearings, stub axel screws, more front wheels, etc...

After all this, the next question is electronics. I want to keep it mainly period apart from RX and TX for ease of running. I have 2 old brushed speed controllers, and some brushed motors, I'll post details and need your views on what to run in the coming weeks! Stay tuned.....

8)

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Very nice work, looking really good :)
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Gratuitous shot of the 22 2.0 I race with my 1:1 that also sees plenty of track action:

XX body and wing trimmed, need to wait on parts to finalise. Had a look at my electronics, need to work on them also before installing so plenty still to do!

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Man after my own heart... All three of my favourite cars on one page. Very nice gen 1 997 GT3!
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

The XX is looking really good... I even quite like the red shock collars breaking up the blue/black theme 8)

The GT3 (is it an RS?) is a dream car for me... max kudos for using as it should be - on a track! :D

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

DHC6 wrote:Man after my own heart... All three of my favourite cars on one page. Very nice gen 1 997 GT3!
Thanks, had the GT3 for 4 years now and it keeps giving, still learning how to tame him every time I go on track.
DerbyDan wrote:The XX is looking really good... I even quite like the red shock collars breaking up the blue/black theme 8)

The GT3 (is it an RS?) is a dream car for me... max kudos for using as it should be - on a track! :D
Thanks, yeah I thought I'd break it up with the red, I think it works too. It's not an RS, best place for them is the track, or the Autobahn - stretched his legs through some of Germany a few months back, was a blast!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

the Losi is looking good
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Small update: not much been happening on the RC front recently, been travelling a lot.

Received a package from the states this week, from our friends at Sabula (thx!!!) lots of finishing touches inc a new RPM gear cover and yellow front wheels with discs:

Have to spend some time on the electrics and finish off the build in the coming weeks/months. Finishing touches will take longer than the build itself by far!

Electrics to come......

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

So electronics, this is pretty much what I have:

On the ESCs, I have one Mtronics Viper Dash which I bought new back in the day, and I have been able to get hold of a Nosram Dominator, which the ad stated: "Perfect working order. From a Nosram/Trinity/Tanaplan Team Driver called Mark Tatman in the 1990s, very rare unit. Nice and small size, High power amp delivery, very punchy, adjustable setting for power delivery intensity". Anyone know of Mark Tatman? Or anything about this ESC?

Some more shots of the ESC:

I have tested it and it works great. I took it apart and cleaned it up, and resoldered the switch wires to the board, they were frayed from age/use. I will also resolder new wires to it and tidy the split on the power wire to battery/motor. Prob going to use the Nosram as it's a period ESC and looks good quality, although I'm on the lookout for a vintage Novak also.

On to motors: I have a new Banzai unit, and a new Absima unit, but the interesting one is a vintage Peak Racing Nightmare motor, which has some interesting marks on it (I know nothing about old motors to be honest so some info on what it is from you guys would be great):

Epic stamped on the back (isn't this a Trinity brand?):

Roar 95 and Japan on the front:

So is this a 27 turn Roar approved motor from 1995? What's the difference between Epic/Trinity/Peak Racing? Would it have been used in 2wd? Looks in pretty good condition for its age to be honest!

Anyone know anything about this banzai also, is this vintage?

Tested the batteries, all look ok so should be fine to use, I re-soldered some of the ends on for stability:

So any info on this appreciated, I may post in electronics section also to get a wider view of non-losi experts.

S1mma
Approved Member

Post by S1mma »

Update on the build.

So on the electronics side, I opened up the Nosram ESC, removed all the wiring and re-wired it to fit the race cells and motor position on the XX. Also fitted the peak nightmare trinity motor. Cells all discharged and charged fine.

Installed the ESC after wiring it up, and also threw in a basic 2 channel Spektrum receiver with additional capacitor.

Next up was the servo, I tested the old school kyosho servo I initially put in, and was astounded how rubbish it was! Super slow, can't believe we used to use these!

Anyway, I had a nice Core RC digital low profile metal gear servo just gagging to go in, so got to work fitting it in. Also got hold of a metal Losi servo arm, not sure what is was originally designed for (maybe XXX), but it went in perfect:

Titanium ball stud went in a treat, used a stainless threaded nut to keep him there:

With one of the LRP batteries fitted:

RPM gear cover on:

Next some more goodies.......

S1mma
Approved Member

Re: My Losi XX CR Kinwald rebuild thread - updated now runni

Post by S1mma »

So I caved and got a set of these:

finally on:

Close up of the ESC wiring:

Receiver wiring (kinwald blue tie wraps!):

Trinity wing buttons installed with trinity wing (I have the orig spec V wing also, but I thought this trinity wing looks cool and isn't common):

Finally with the wing on and diff adjusted, servo fully working and set on centre, camber and toe set, my XX is ready to roll:

Took him for his first run, went through half of 2 NIMH packs. Ran a 23tooth pinion, and played around with ride height as I was running him in.

First impression: ran very well. Speed was kept reasonable with the motor/pinion combo, ESC got warm but not hot, none of the cells heated up also, so can take a higher tooth pinion no problem. Handling was very well balanced, I forgot how good an XX is to drive! The wing provided just enough rear downforce to keep the rear planted nicely even changing direction at high speed. I took the wing off to see how much effect it had, and it was sliding around at high speed when you changed direction, so it is defo needed.

Overall very impressed, didn't need any steering adjustment on the transmitter, ran true and straight. Prob need to play around with the ride a bit more, but I would say it's 95% done now.

After the run:

Very happy with progress so far, going to keep doing little bits on it in future. Need to paint the body also, prob going to be white. Need to get hold of some decals, anyone have any sources for XX decals, or kinwald/trinity decals?

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Re: My Losi XX CR Kinwald rebuild thread - updated now runni

Post by lowrydesign »

Wana sell me that lrp 3000 pack? Lol.. ive been searching for some panasonic 3000 cells forever! !!