Delta Phaser project

The place for all things Delta.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

V12
Approved Member

Re: Delta Phaser project

Post by V12 »

LTO_Dave wrote:
V12 wrote:For the 1/10th cars there was a similar car using a frametype chassis like this the PR-7 from Precision Race Cars.

Was this the car that had a carbon fiber chassis made in the shape of a rectangle with no suspension? I remember seeing it in an old RCCA magazine.
Yes that was the car and it had a very large rectangle cutout in the middle of the chassis also. Even more a frame type chassis than the Phaser.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

GJW wrote:yep they are from the 84 world champ, parma euro panther :)

OK so these wheels are a little younger than the Phaser but look very amazing to me. Do you maybe have a set of them?

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

A little progress, I will get some RC12E parts for completing the frontend. Thanks Alan!

Someone has pictures from Arturo Carbonells cars? Especially the bodies he used? I want using the same paintscheme if possible.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Update
Got the missing frontend parts in also got some wingtubes and collars.
So completing the Phaser will go on now, expect pictures later today.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Sorry for the delay. There was the problem the kingpins are too long for the Delta frontend so you couldn´t mount the front wheels afterwards. Can´t find the Dremel for cutting the kingpins so I´m using some front springs now what actually isn´t correct for the Phaser as all cars of this age usually don´t have front springs. But this is just for the moment until I´m able cutting them or find some shorter ones.

Another thing what isn´t correct at the moment are the aluminium blocks for the front end beam. Maybe someone who knows the Delta cars very well may have noticed this. Both aluminium blocks for the frontend beam are just supporting blocks. Actually you need one clamping block so the beam can´t move or turn but I got just these blocks for the moment.
Of course you couldn´t run the car this way but for making pictures it´s working also.

So beside the frontend parts I also got wing tubes and collars as for rear body posts. The collars are just missing at the pictures.
Until now I was using new parts only but now I have to continue with slightly used parts.

Next step was "borrowing" the rear axle and left wheel hub from one of my RC12i cars. Near new and after some cleaning and working on you don´t see much difference to a complete new one.
I went with a hollow steel rear axle what is the same rear diff then as the RC12E so just right for the Phaser project.
The bearings for the rear axle had arrived some time ago and so the rear axle went in.

That´s the current state of today.
Attachments
1694kl.jpg
1686kl.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Next thing tomorrow will be cleaning the other diff parts. For the spur gear I want using an old part again of course.
At the moment I have the choice between an used white Associated spur from the RC12E and a new black Kimbrough what also is that old 32DP. But I´m not sure if the Kimbrough really is that old. Someone knows when the Kimbrough´s were introduced?

I will try cleaning the Associated spurgear so it looks like new, if any possible.

Then I have to choose the wheels and tires for the Phaser. Actually I had planned using some RC12E wheels but after first view none of them look really good. For the moment I will use TRC or Delta wheels or some RC12L wheels what are actually new but not very clean from factory. I had worked on these today so they look pretty good now.

Actually both of them are newer than the Phaser but sometimes you just have to do some compromise.

What do you think which wheels should I use for the Phaser? TRC or RC12i?
Attachments
TRC_Delta.jpg
AE.jpg

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

TRC gets my vote!, what spur are you refurbing? I have a few NIP ones that might help-

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

Kimbrough had servo saver's for novak bantam's(square drive) which were 1978 so they probably had spur gear's. where is kent! :)

oca1
Approved Member

Post by oca1 »

This servo saver is for the Novak bantam midget square drive from the late 70's. I'm also building a later version of the Super Phaser, when delta came out with their own complete kit.

Your project car is looking good!

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Thanks.
Where are your pics? Can´t see anything.

OK decided going with the white Associated spur gear for now. In the beginning the spur was very dirty especially the teeth were really black where the teeth of the pinion are touching. Tried some cleaning but nothing did work really.
Then I remembered my ultrasonic cleaner I had bought some years ago now collecting dust somewhere in storage.
Plain water didn´t work well but adding some dishwashing liquid did the trick. I really didn´t expect a result like this but the spur gear looks like new now what is really difficult with that white plastic parts.
At the pictures you could see the differences before and after. In reality the spur did look even more dirty than it appears at the picture. The picture is from the AE donor car what provides the rear axle and spur for the Phaser.

I think I know a lot of other old parts what will see the ultrasonic cleaner now.
Attachments
spur before.jpg
spur like new.jpg
spur like new_.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

As for the wheels I think I have to go with the RC12L wheels for the moment. These are the only ones I have a full set also looks really good after the cleaning action.
Going through my wheels assortment it seems I have white wheels (TRC) for one axle and red (Delta) for the other axle. Not what I really want.
The tires at the RC12E wheels are worn or chunked or the wheels really dirty. The question is could the ultrasonic cleaner hurt the foam tires or is it worth a try?

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

The pic you have here saying 12i wheels is incorrect they are rc12l wheels a lot later then your car. The rc12i uses the same wheels as the 12e and the trc wheels are exactly the same as the correct delta wheels just not red!
Ryan

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I have some of those 32 p 48t spurs new if you need-

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Thanks for the offer got the spur to a like new condition. May be interesting for further projects.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

reign79 wrote:The pic you have here saying 12i wheels is incorrect they are rc12l wheels a lot later then your car. The rc12i uses the same wheels as the 12e and the trc wheels are exactly the same as the correct delta wheels just not red!
Thanks for letting me know I have corrected the postings. Actually I know these are wheels from the RC12L but for any reason (brain overheating or old age :wink: ) I wrote RC12i instead.

I have a complete set of Delta wheels/tires but this is used at my Super Phaser already where it will stay also.
If I want just using wheels of the correct age for the Phaser then the TRC or Delta wheels are not the right ones also. I don´t know exactly when they were released but for sure after the Phaser maybe in the 1982-1984 range.
The RC12E wheels are the right age for the Phaser but the ones I have are not really good condition and are not worth using with this car. I will try if I could get them to a better condition.
Anyway if I had another set of Delta wheels they would go on the Phaser. I also like the Parma wheels what are about same time area as the Delta/TRC.

For now to get the Phaser "rolling" the rear diff was completed and the RC12L wheels went on.
Later all the wrong things will be corrected when possible.
Attachments
2011-09-29_185641.jpg
2011-09-29_185501.jpg