Need help with Turbo Ultima

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lefty421

Re: Need help with Turbo Ultima

Post by Lefty421 »

OK guys, another problem.

I ordered a set, actually two sets, of Tamiya Astral wheels for my Turbo Ultima. The wheels work fine on the front paired with the CRP kyosho to tamiya wide axle kit. (CRP #1713) No problem on the front, but the back is another story. When I install the astral rear wheels, they bolt up fine but the inside of the tires then rubs on the shock. I need some way to widen the rear axle/cvd so that the tires won't rub. Is there another set of rear axles/cvd's that would widen the rear so the tires won't rub?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Sounds like the rear offset is deeper than the stock wheels. Since the stock axles don't use a pin, your use of different hexes is limited to stock. Otherwise, I would suggest using a thicker hex from Tamiya, but you'd probably run out of threads to bolt the wheel on.

If you want to get modern wheels on the car, you're going to have to consider using Ultima RB5 parts for the rear. All newer wheels have a crazy deep offset now since they've extended suspension arms about as far as you can go.

Lefty421

Post by Lefty421 »

RichieRich wrote:Sounds like the rear offset is deeper than the stock wheels. Since the stock axles don't use a pin, your use of different hexes is limited to stock. Otherwise, I would suggest using a thicker hex from Tamiya, but you'd probably run out of threads to bolt the wheel on.
I actually have a set of rear dogbones and axles with pins for my Turbo Ultima. I had to switch to that type of setup in the rear when I raced on carpet ovals back in the day. I had to swap rear axles to a setup with pins so that I could run the foam tires that were common back then. I wonder If going with one of those clamp style hex drivers over the pins would work to spread out the rear a bit. A set of those blue RB5/ZX5 clamp-on 12 hex drivers might work hhhhmmmm.......
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1460_232/products_id/6067/n/Kyosho-Cramp-Wheel-Hub-2-ZX-5

Another option may be the Tamiya #53880/#53881 wheels instead of the Astral wheels I have now. The 53880 rear wheel doesn't look like it has as deep of an offset as the Astral rear wheel.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Lefty421

Post by Lefty421 »

Mr. ED wrote:http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001534853&I=LXNX95&P=K
These appear to have a larger offset
Yeah, I've looked at those. The only problem with them is that the matching front wheel in that set is also hex driven. In order to run those, I'd have to convert the front of my T.U. to hex driven also. Which of course, can be done with RB5 front end pieces I guess. I suppose that route would be cheaper than converting the back to RB5 parts which would require about $50 in new CVD's and such. I'm thinking the front conversion could be done by simply using RB5 front hubs and axles and hex drivers which would probably come in well under $50 I'm guessing.