My Curtis Edinger Restoration-The one that ALMOST got away

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: My Earliest Edinger Restoration-the one that ALMOST got

Post by Ruffy »

Awesome stuff DrillNink! SoCal is the birth place of the RC10!

Had some time today and got a lot done. As you can see almost all of the parts on this car are already very white, with some light cleaning with simple green you can see how nice the parts turned out. The rest of the parts are set to begin the whitening treatment tomorrow morning.
I also trimmed the body and she turned out better than I expected. She looks absolutely beautiful to me!
Here are pics of Amy as she starts her rebirth into the light!
Amy_1.jpg
Amy_2.jpg
Early-Assoc-Body.jpg
I really like this body the way it was painted. I am going to try and find out who did these for Associated.
Nicads for the Magnum radio are on their way, arrive Monday!
:D

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Looks so good and I think the paint looks very cool as well.
Nice pics.

Did you use some vintage oil on the shocks?

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Man you were not kidding how good of shape this car is. I can definately see why you wanted this car so bad.

If you had never shown the pics of the car built I would never believe the car wasn't new, and right out of the box since production. I am glad the car went to someone who will appreciate it as much as you will. The car will fit in with your collection perfectly.

Jake

Curtis
Approved Member

Post by Curtis »

Hey Ruffy, I painted that body. That was a long time ago. Curtis

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

bigjeepzz wrote:Man you were not kidding how good of shape this car is. I can definately see why you wanted this car so bad.

If you had never shown the pics of the car built I would never believe the car wasn't new, and right out of the box since production. I am glad the car went to someone who will appreciate it as much as you will. The car will fit in with your collection perfectly.

Jake
it would look better next to my rc10 lol :mrgreen:
with age comes a cage

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: My Curtis Edinger Restoration-the one that ALMOST got

Post by Ruffy »

Thank-you M_Vice and Jake!
m_vice, no I did not. Even though I have 4 bottles of that original shock oil, I prefer to use the non-staining new clear silicone oils, over the petroleum based oils, in the replicas in case of a leak to prevent any staining.
DrillNink, yeah like twins. :lol:

Curtis, Thank-you very much for that information and now makes this car even more of a keepsake since it has one of your original paint jobs! Any idea how many of these bodies you painted for sale? I am sure you also painted the other two beautiful bodies earlier in this thread as well (the image that scr8p posted and the image of the car slotcarrod owns in SoCal).
Welcome to the RC10Talk forum and your 1st post! :D You, your brother Steve and Gene have been such a huge help in gathering information for the lifetime fans of the RC10 and for the later generations that were not part of that era, but are just beginning to learn the roots and intricacies of this famous car.

For those that do not realize it, this is THE Curtis Husting! :D Must be surreal seeing a body you painted so long ago, still in perfect condition as f you had painted it yesterday Curtis! :D
I really like the color blends of blues to white on this body, and it will look fantastic once I am done with it. Hard to believe after all these years the original owner never had managed to finish trimming the body out for mounting it to the car.
I just had to rename this thread to "My Curtis Edinger" after he chimed in to say it was he that painted this beautiful body.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

wow, this is so cool to see such a great example of the roots of our obsession. Thanks for rescuing this gem from obscurity and sharing it with all of us. To me at least, this is he Holy Grail of rc cars and it's so much nicer to see built than hidden in a box. I'd love to have one but it's almost better to see it in your hands. Thanks also for the interesting tidbit about the paint Curtis!
Gary

drillNink
Approved Member

Re: My Curtis Edinger Restoration-The one that ALMOST got aw

Post by drillNink »

wow the man himself...i need a body like that one lol...looks like ima have to trim mine a lil to make it more correct...
with age comes a cage

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Curtis wrote:Hey Ruffy, I painted that body. That was a long time ago. Curtis

That's great info Curtis and nice paint jobs you did back then. You were just a kid then. What were you like 12? :lol: You had skills! Can I send you some bodies to paint? JK lol :mrgreen: It's nice to know I have a body that Curtis Husting painted. I need to get you to autograph it for me next time I'm down in LA!

Thanks for joining and welcome to the forum!

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

:shock:
Welcome to the forum Curtis, it is great to have you and many thanks for the contribution from back then and now.

Amy is getting better and better Ruffy, great stuff.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

This is a really great find and an interesting thread to watch. I'm sure I'll pick up some tips on what a proper restoration is like on one of these!

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

flipwils11 wrote:This is a really great find and an interesting thread to watch. I'm sure I'll pick up some tips on what a proper restoration is like on one of these!
ur gunna learn all sorts of stuff about these cars...these guys kno jus about everythng youll need to kno on how to restore on of these...good luck :mrgreen:
with age comes a cage

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Ruffy with his museum quality resto's . and know curtis joining in. You gotta love it.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Today I spent a little time assembling the aft chassis area, and you can see how nice the rear arms, hubs, mounts and transmission covers have cleaned up! The car is going to almost look brand new, if not for that dreaded battery acid damage it has on the main chassis. Here are a few pics showing the progress:
Here you can clearly see a practically brand new early Edinger Associated stock motor in perfect shape. The sticker, can and brushes are in perfect condition.
Aft_Assy001.JPG
The pinion and spur have really cleaned nicely too. The early 1st-style differential cover is in very good condition. The motor plate is in perfect condition.
Aft_Assy002.JPG
Here you can see the "no-stamp" chassis clearly, with the rear arms, mounts, hub, aft bulkhead, aft shock tower and battery cups with a hint of the early fiberglass battery braces. It all went together like a brand new car. Nothing was stripped or worn.
Aft_Assy003.JPG
In this image you can see the outdrives (blurred), and they are in perfect new condition. Previous owner did not run this much at all. Here you can see the fiberglass battery straps and battery cups all which cleaned up nicely. If it weren't for that acid stain, this car would appear to be practically new.
Aft_Assy004.JPG
More pictures will follow as the restoration progress's.

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

lookin good...im itchn to try cleanin up my white part to get em lookin like urs...keep it up cant wait to see more
with age comes a cage