Aristo-Craft Hitec Kangaroo

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

Re: Aristo-Craft Hitec Kangaroo

Post by Bormac »

Why not graft an AE stealth trans into it then? :lol:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

That thought actually crossed my mind believe it or not. :lol:

I'm going to put this project on hold for a while and if I can't find a complete working gearbox in that time I'll take another crack at it. My anger should be subsided by then. :P

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover »

I have not worked on the gear box for the Kangaroo, but was wondering if (you probably have) checked to make sure that all the pins that some of the gears ride on are straight? Also check to see if one or more of your bushings and or bearings are binding up. I would put each gear in the trany individually and make sure it rotates freely. Then you know it is a gear bind issue. Some times too many shims will cause a bind issue. I have even seen the shouldered bearings cause a bind issue because of the shoulder sticking out. Don't give up!!!!
There is a hobby shop 1 hour and 45 mins from me that has a hole tube of Kangaroo parts. Let me know if you cant get this trany and I will look the next time I am down there. They should have a working trany. :D

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

old_rc_lover wrote:I have not worked on the gear box for the Kangaroo, but was wondering if (you probably have) checked to make sure that all the pins that some of the gears ride on are straight? Also check to see if one or more of your bushings and or bearings are binding up. I would put each gear in the trany individually and make sure it rotates freely. Then you know it is a gear bind issue. Some times too many shims will cause a bind issue. I have even seen the shouldered bearings cause a bind issue because of the shoulder sticking out. Don't give up!!!!
There is a hobby shop 1 hour and 45 mins from me that has a hole tube of Kangaroo parts. Let me know if you cant get this trany and I will look the next time I am down there. They should have a working trany. :D
Yeah after a combined total of 12+ hours of working on the gearbox I've tried just about everything. This buggy was definitely not used that much so there wasn't that much wear on any of the parts to begin with. There are shims and I've tried every combination possible besides how they're supposed to go and no difference. I'm still stuck on the gears being the problem for some reason. Probably due to the fact that they're 25 year old Korean jobbers. :lol:

What also makes it difficult is that I don't think theres an instruction manual. I mean there is but it doesn't have anything about assembly. Apparently back then RTR meant you'd never have to take it apart. :|

Oh and parts I'm looking for besides the gearbox are a body, wing, chassis, and front bumper. :mrgreen:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Perhaps your expectations of this car are just too high? LOL! :lol: Perhaps the binding and crunching sounds are factory built in? How else do I explain why I never saw one of these cars at the track way back when....?
Maybe they really are just a lousy build...
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I get what you're trying to say ever so eloquently. :lol: :P I don't expect the gearbox to be anywhere near smooth but this is basically locked up binding. :? Hopefully I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Maybe you just need to run it in? Use a bit of polish in the gearbox and run a pack or 2 through it (just the gearbox, not the the entire car.
Clean it out later and use proper grease).

old_rc_lover
Approved Member

Post by old_rc_lover »

I have cleaned up some pretty cheap RC cars in my time, but they all ran pretty smooth once you get them figured out. From what I have seen Aristo Craft made some pretty cool stuff in there time. Here is an ad for 3 Aristo Craft RC cars.
Picture0001.jpg

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Mr. ED wrote:Maybe you just need to run it in? Use a bit of polish in the gearbox and run a pack or 2 through it (just the gearbox, not the the entire car.
Clean it out later and use proper grease).
I thought of trying that and still might. But before I go that far I'm going to try the original used gears instead of the new ones to see if it makes any difference.
old_rc_lover wrote:I have cleaned up some pretty cheap RC cars in my time, but they all ran pretty smooth once you get them figured out. From what I have seen Aristo Craft made some pretty cool stuff in there time. Here is an ad for 3 Aristo Craft RC cars.
The Road Runner there was actually made by Academy. :mrgreen: Aristo-Craft Hitec only produced four vehicles. The Koala, Kangaroo, Dolphin, and the Wildebeest which was a truck.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Have you tried another gearboxhousing? Plastic injected parts can vary widely in size and deformation

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Shhhhh I know... Theres a Dolphin too.

Thanks for giving me the heads up though. Its things like that which make this place what it is. 8)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

lowgear, I still haven't gotten to get those parts to you. I'll try and ship 'em tomorrow.....past couple weeks have been super busy!!!

I saw that dolphin the other day.....

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Well I won/bought both buggies. The Kangaroo for $41 shipped and the Dolphin for $59 shipped. I feel as if I made out extremely well. Especially on the Dolphin since its practically brand new. I knew I was going to miss the end of the auction so I had it set to snipe it. Much to my dismay the bid was never placed for whatever reason. I was pretty upset because I really wanted it. Luckily the auction ended with zero bids so I emailed the seller in a panic asking if they would sell it to me outside of eBay. Not only did they agree, they sold it to me for the starting bid price. :D So I'm a pretty happy guy. :mrgreen:

jwscab I can only imagine how busy you must be. There was no rush at all. Whenever you got a spare minute I knew you would send the parts out. :)

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Well I'm back at it again. After working for hours on end trying to get the gearbox situation resolved to no avail I gave up and decided to take a break from it. Well I can't believe it but that was six months ago. :shock: Since then as you can see I got another Kangaroo to use as a parts car. I bought it mainly for the gearbox which works as it should I might add. I've learned my lesson and will not be taking it apart. :lol:
Kangaroo7.jpg