Cleaning cast alloy / Aluminum

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Cleaning cast alloy / Aluminum

Post by Lowgear »

I have a Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler. I bought it to polish aluminum but the media I used (corn cobs) apparently isn't abrasive enough. It wouldn't polish the aluminum to an acceptable level no matter how long I left the parts in for.

I bought it from this place: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=514805

Since then Lyman has come out with a new model with a plug on the bottom for a little more. Though some reviews say the drain isn't worth it: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=910617

They seem to still have the best prices for them.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Lowgear wrote:I have a Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler. I bought it to polish aluminum but the media I used (corn cobs) apparently isn't abrasive enough. It wouldn't polish the aluminum to an acceptable level no matter how long I left the parts in for.

I bought it from this place: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=514805

Since then Lyman has come out with a new model with a plug on the bottom for a little more. Though some reviews say the drain isn't worth it: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=910617

They seem to still have the best prices for them.
I have the model with the plug. I think the plug is a good idea. The tumbler is actually made for polishing brass for ammo reloading. Another money pit hobby of mine. You can add something like Mothers polish to the media for better results. Its a good unit but before I purchased it I was using a home made tumbler using a coffee can and a corded drill. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the can and ran a bolt through from the inside and nutted it down. Then I filled the can with brass and media, taped the lid on, and chucked it in the drill. This method actually produced quicker and better results than the Lyman and it didn't cost a dime.

You might also want to try using crushed walnut. Its more aggressive and might work out better.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Before I bought one I was researching them and found something out about this particular model. They're made in a random factory somewhere and then various companies just slap their own labels on them. Heres Eastwood for example trying to peddle it for 200 bucks! :roll: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-hd-vibratory-tumbler-w-media-pushbutton.html

I like your tumbler idea with the drill and coffee can. I think those kind work better on some materials as that method is more aggressive than a vibrating bowl. Funny you should mention the walnut shell media. Next time I used the tumbler thats what I was planning on trying.

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

You are correct about alot of them being made by the same company. There is also alot of bad ones out there too. Some of the cheap ones are completely closed off on the bottom and the motors burn out quick. A few guys I know drilled some holes in the bottom to let air in to cool the motor and it seemed to work well.

Just a note on the walnut. Us handloaders/reloaders use walnut to clean dirty, tarnished brass and use corncob to polish the brass after it is clean.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

I've got a question about tumblers. Mine is a rotary one I got from someone else... Does it make a real difference to use a vibratory tumbler instead? I gess as long as the abrasive is the right one then it does not matter (?)

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

I think a rotery is faster but if you use the same media the Vibe type will net the same results. It just takes longer.

I know a couple guys that do ALOT of reloading ammo and they use portable cement mixers as tumblers. :lol: The inside of one of them looked like it was chromed it was polished so much!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

A vibratory tumbler seems like it would be gentler on parts. With a rotary tumbler your parts would tend to crash over each other I would think?