Nikko not a true RC car?

The place for all things Nikko / Toy Grade.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: Nikko not a true RC car?

Post by Mr. ED »

What's this doing in the off-topic section?
Check out the 'other makes' section for more nikko stuff

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

[email protected] wrote:Oh wow I didn't know that mrc imported tamiya.
yea you tube had an old mrc /tamiya add that made you think mrc was tamiya or tamiya was mrc... thanks bormac and Bender for the pics i was always interested in these cars...my problem was what about parts for them??? i dont know about what the brand was but 1 xmas i got a "high end" car like this..it was a 4x4 buggy racer that looked a bit like a hot shot..after wrecking every tyco in the house i kept this one outside..it ran great and was fast but i hit something with it and something broke.. that was it, junked it...after that my parents were done with buying retail store rc cars..the only retail store rc i had luck with was a sears lobo truck...seeing all these old nikko pics makes me wish i didnt wreck all my old toys...oh and if anyone thinks toys'r'us would have never sell a tamiya or hobby rc look here http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2257778&pg=7

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I noticed they had a bunch of micro tamiya's. The megapro looked pretty good. Wonder what upgrades they have for it.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

[email protected] wrote:I noticed they had a bunch of micro tamiya's. The megapro looked pretty good. Wonder what upgrades they have for it.
i think the megapro is like the radioshack wanna be rc18 car..the radioshack car looked just like the rc18 but a guy i know that worked at a hobby shop said the parts dont fit..

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

Is this car belt drive or shaft driven?

Anyone knows where can we locate a manual? Just curious to know about the drivetrain. :D

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Tiger- what car are you talking about?

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

How about the Taiyo Ford V8 Off Road Racer 4X4 ... says it's 22 years old looks in good condition. I guy I bought the Tyco off is selling it for $US27
Attachments
96313591_full.jpg

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

That looks pretty cool. I have never heard of it before but I don't know a lot about off brands.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Neat post.

My 1st 1/10 scale R/C was the Nikko Rhino.

I still have it, mine is a 1986 model. Yours looks like a later version due to the extra material in the bumper.

I believe the overall design was actually a little better than the Grasshopper's.

The electronics were crap though. I gutted mine back in the early 90's and used a hobby grade servo, radio, and speed control.

It was later set up for drag racing with a Bolink S-10 body and pan-car tires, with your typical early 90's paint job. (metallic lavender & neon colored zigzag pinstripes)... mini truck styling of the day......yuck...But it spanked a few "hobby grade"cars in the 1/0 scale, 1/8 mile.

Parts weren't hard to get at the time, I remember contacting Nikko directly for replacement parts. I still have an NOS set of front wheels & tires.

Today it's on the back burner of my project priorities, but will be reborn as a recycled stadium truck. The body is an ex-butchered HPI Dodge that will be given the rat rod flat black treatment and a few details..

It's a toy grade car with hobby grade potential!
Attachments
NOS Rhino Tires.JPG
RSC3.JPG
RSC1.JPG
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I clap my hands for you

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

The name in my Nikko 1989 Catalog is 'Super Alex' 1/10 item # 10970. It comes with racing pack and charger. Specs:

2-channel super heterodyne digital proportional system;
Thermostat protection for speed-control resister (PAT.P.)
Front suspension: trailing arm
Rear suspension: rigid axle
Shock absorber (front and rear): friction damper
Rear wheel differential gear
RS-540S motor
Frequency: 27 mhz band, 6 frequency
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

longboardnj wrote:
[email protected] wrote:I remember when toys "R" us used to sell nikko and tyco rc's for over $100. They were even in a glass case. They were really good back then. They were one of my first rc cars and they were pretty quick for what they were.
that was the best!!! i loved goin to toys'r'us just to see what was in the glass case..i think toys'r'us sold tamiya blackfoots for a crazy high price back then
wow you guys just reminded me of when i used to wake up my dad so he could take me to toys-r-us just to look at the Glass Case. they made the rc cars look so awesome with fake dirt and scenery for each different rc car. only the good ones were in the Glass Case. Nowadays, the Glass Case does not exist.

My neighbor had a Radioshack Goldenarrow which is a copy of the NIKKO Rhino. it was fast! Now that i have both of them side-by-side, the major difference is that the NIKKO Rhino has more suspension travel. the shock towers are taller and the shocks are longer.

an interesting note is that the NIKKO Rhino design looks very similar to the Traxxas Cat/Spirit which came out later as "hobby grade" rc cars.

NIKKO Rhino:

Radioshack Goldenarrow:

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

Two more have turned up on a local auction site both presently at about US$35...ones a Bison the other is a Venus III ..if anybody is interested PM me...
Attachments
bison5.jpg
bison4.jpg
bison2.jpg
bison1.jpg
niko1.jpg

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

The Venus I haven't seen before but non proportional and small, probbaly at it's high end price there, the Bison looks pretty good, and they always ebay well. Sure someone will want it.

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

[email protected] wrote:Tiger- what car are you talking about?
I was just wondering if the Brat or the Super Sprint are shaft drive or belt.

Any info will be appreciated. :)