Kyosho Turbo Burns - New Rebuild

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

lexster76
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Turbo Burns - New Rebuild

Post by lexster76 »

Hi Dimitri,
that is a good question. I only had two sources (including the article) when writing the Wiki. page and unfortunately neither mention the kit number.

http://www.retromodelisme.com/article_page/547/turbo-burns-special-champion-car-kyosho.html#group-4
https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=109658

I will see what more information I can get from "Integrafan" as that is something that definitely needs completing on the Wiki. Page. If anyone has some information about the S.C.C. let me know and I will add it.
Current collection can be viewed here. https://flic.kr/ps/3guKZY

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hello all,
I have been able to add a bit more information concerning the SCC on the Wikipedia page and will let you guys know if I can find any additional details.

Edit: I also just took the time to restructure the Burns Wikipage so that it is the same as the Inferno. Any comments or suggestions welcome by personal message (so we don't clutter up this thread)

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

I was going through my box of random parts last night looking for things to sell on e-Bay and was left speechless when I realized that all this time I had a used (and slightly battered), BSW-50 front carbon shock tower for the Turbo Burns Special Champion Car.

As we had been writing about this car recently, I made it my mission last night to modify my "full option" Turbo Burns into a "full option" Turbo Burns SCC. I staid with part numbers below BSW-50 as, from what I can figure out, this is the last part produced during the production cylce of the T.Burns.
Seeing the T. Burns with wide tires at the front took a bit of getting used to, but the similarities the car now has with the classic Inferno are uncanny.

Below are a few pictures I took this morning, and have posted a few more on my Flickr account (click on a picture or link below).
I also did a bit of an update on the SCC section of the Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyosho_Burns

Kyosho Turbo Burns SCC (Full Option) by lexster76, auf Flickr

Kyosho Turbo Burns SCC (Full Option) by lexster76, auf Flickr

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ That looks great! I love the look. You beat me to it. I am also waiting on a new front BSW50 front tower. I have the long shocks and wide wheels ready to go. Before these pictures from you, the only other photos I have seen with the BSW50 tower installed are from a vintage French magazine article.

Once I install the BSW50 tower and shocks, I was planning on running 2 pairs of rear (wide) stock Turbo Burns tires. I see you have the multi pin tires, and they look great. It makes me want to change, but I am sure the stock tires will look nice as well.

Thanks again for all of your work with the Wikipedia entries. It is great to have a source of information for the Burns and Inferno series. When I started hunting for parts and info for the Turbo Burns years ago, I was surprised by the lack of information available. Your Wikipedia work has made a big difference.

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Thanks Lavigna! :)
We are all looking forward to seeing your mint condition SCC! This time I made a note for myself to dust of my models before I take pictures of them in the sun. :wink: I just uploaded some extra pictures from the same photo session. I might give the wide Sand Super tires at the front a try as well. I fitted the BSW-40s for reference purposes as that is apparently what the car was supplied with.

You guys will have noticed that the bluing is coming off quite a few of the metal parts. As most of my cars are used I have that issue quite often. Rather than buying new screws etc, I decided to try a cold bluing product called Super Blue made by Birchwood Casey.

It is cheap and much simpler than other multistage bluing processes I have seen. It is pretty effective too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li-HplErc5s

I will give it a try later in the year and let you know how it goes.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

^ Thanks Buddy!

I use the Birchwood Super Blue quite often, and have had great results with it. My OCD makes it so I am very conscious of the hardware color, shape, and condition I use. It is easy to just use a Stainless Steel hardware kit, but that doesn't always look correct on vintage builds. This is where the Super Blue works great at bringing the black OEM hardware back to new condition. Even when new, the heads can still look bad from age, and still need some Super Blue.

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

lexster76 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:17 am
Dimitri wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:46 am I say If it's a bsw part [bsw-51], it fair game. People running the T.burns used it at the time. I run with it on mine still :P
I second that. I only didn't include one on my "full option" T. Burns as I preferred the look of the originals on that particular car.
I am not sure how I missed this, but Marwan (who produces the excellent repro. bodies) mentioned to me a few days ago that the part BSW 58 Fly-Wheel Nut was included with the SCC kit making that the last part during the Turbo Burns production run.
As he actually owns a mint SCC kit I am going to assume this is correct, and that the part was not added to the box at a later date. With that in mind I would say it should definitely be OK to put the BSW-51 on the T. Burns. :)
Wouldn't it be great if Yuichi Kanai could do a fact check for us. :wink: On a more serious note, I will actually write to Kyosho and see if they can help us out with more Turbo Burns SCC and BSW Part Number info. :idea:

Happy building!

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

I haven't heard back from Kyosho yet, however one of the members of RCMagvintage.com just posted a new French article on the Turbo Burns SCC after I posted the pictures of my car there.
The article contains much better pictures than the previous one that has been online up until now.
Looks like I need to get myself one of those adjustable rods for the front brake... :wink:

http://www.rcmagvintage.com/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=27895&p=294712#p294712

Happy reading!

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Wow! Great pictures in that thread. Thanks so much! I was told just today that my final parts are on their way.

I already have that adjuster on my Turbo Burns. I added it when I installed the linkage. I had never seen it on another build, but I thought it was fitting.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190430-214323_Chrome.jpg

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Thanks to Dimitri for many of these parts. I am very happy to be the new owner of this BSW50 shock tower. Along with long shocks, and wide tires and wheels up front, this will complete the transformation of this car to full SCC specs.

I also finally found a BSW19 gear as well.

I have this Paris exhaust pipe that I was considering installing in place of the stock pipe that is currently installed? I need some suggestions on whether I should change out the exhaust, or leave it as is? Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190508-001130_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190508-001153_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190508-001301_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190508-001326_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190508-001403_Gallery.jpg

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Glad I could help.

If you want my opinion, the os t-2010 you have now is the best fit :wink:

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

SCC status complete! New BSW50 front shock tower installed, along with long front shocks, and wide tires and rims. The height difference between them is quite significant. I also swapped over to the gold springs on all four corners.

I also added the BSW19 main gear. There isn't much more I can think of to add to this build. I know there was a company that made an aluminum center differential mount. I would eventually like to find this piece.

I still need to have the body painted so I can get some nice outdoor pictures, like Lexster76!
Attachments
Screenshot_20190512-004009_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190512-003935_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190512-004115_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190512-004149_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190512-004219_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190512-004239_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190512-004301_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190512-004326_Gallery.jpg

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

It looks great! I am looking forward to seeing the outdoor shots. :D

I have added your picture of the two struts as a link to the Wikipedia page. That is a good comparison for future reference. :!:
Attachments
Kyosho parts BSW-50 and BSW-25.JPG

TurboBurns

Post by TurboBurns »

Top work Lavinga.
Love your TB. I am nearly finished my new build. Am trying for every option. Missing metal shock mounts and some after market parts. Someone bid hard against me on an ARK centre diff with metal mounts lol. Was it you?
I also have a NIB Turbo Inferno!! and a few new built Burns. Would love a NIB TB and Burns.
I tried to PM you. I am a new member so I am not sure that it has worked.
Your knowledge is great. I wish I had found some of this information prior to now.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

TurboBurns wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:27 pm Top work Lavinga.
Love your TB. I am nearly finished my new build. Am trying for every option. Missing metal shock mounts and some after market parts. Someone bid hard against me on an ARK centre diff with metal mounts lol. Was it you?
I also have a NIB Turbo Inferno!! and a few new built Burns. Would love a NIB TB and Burns.
I tried to PM you. I am a new member so I am not sure that it has worked.
Your knowledge is great. I wish I had found some of this information prior to now.
Hey. Sorry, I did not receive your PM.

Yes, I won the ARK auction. I have not received it yet, but I had to have it. I have never seen another.

I'm very jealous of your NIB Turbo Inferno. There is one on eBay now, but the price is a little high. I am actually in the middle of my second Turbo Inferno build currently. It is also a full option build from new parts. There is lots of great resources on here. Marwan is the absolute authority on the Inferno cars. I have contacted him with my questions in the past, and he knows everything and is a great guy.