A tale of 2 t3's

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shodog
Approved Member

A tale of 2 t3's

Post by shodog »

I bought my Son a T3 almost three years ago to replace his Tamiya Falcon. He needed something that was durable and was easier to find parts for. I originally set it up with a Novak XRS esc and a mild Kyosho 23turn modified motor. Top speed was decent but the XRS is a wimpy speedo and the acceleration was poor. In addition the ESC is rated for a 15 turn but would regularly heat up and shut down, even with the stock gearing. So consequently he didn’t run the truck much and would opt to drive my Wild Willy or Midnight Pumpkin.

His friend down the street has an original 6016 RC-10 and I helped his Dad get it running with a nice 19turn motor. The buggy was faster than my son’s T3 which bummed my son out. So I set out to hook his T3 up for him. I bought an Epic 14 Turn quad Modified motor. I picked up a second hand Novak GT7 and then bought a few 3300 NiMh packs for him. Needless to say this truck has got power to spare. Here are a couple of shots of it.

As I was running his truck, I was thinking that I need to get one of these also. I found a guy on the RCCA board selling a RTR T3 for $75 shipped. When I got the truck it was in excellent shape and had been hardly run. I installed a set of bearings and replaced the dog bones with CVD’s. I swapped out the suspension arms and rear shock tower for the carbon fiber pieces. I used a Novak GT7 ESC, a Novak XXL receiver and a Trinity Cobalt 10X2 Modified motor. I had to set the slipped and diff to full tight to harness all the power this thing puts out but it’s definitely a blast to run. Here are a couple of shots of it.

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

looks good Sho. When I was running 1/10th truck I ran a 12D in my 3X-T MF. The thing had tons of power for the triple at my track, but it was probally overkill for the technical track it was. The thing would flat out fly. I also have a few of the GT7's and I love them. I heard the rumors that they didnt like the 3X-4 GP's though so I tried the LRP 7.1 and was equially pleased with that. That I ran a Orion 9 single, and man that was almost like running 1/8th buggy with the power.

I always love taking out the stadium trucks. Probally my favorite class to run out of everything. I never did run 1/12th onroad or 1/10th buggy. I think Im going to grab a B4 to try out. Thats cool that your kid enjoys the hobby/money pit with ya.

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Its always great to share same interest with your son.Too bad my daugthers ain't interested...
The rear shock tower does look alittle fragile to me.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

My son really didn't get into it until I bought a set of Losi micro T's. Then all of a sudden he wanted to start running my Mini-t so we did a project where we replaced the shocks on the Mini-T. we also replaced the bearings and rear huub carriers on the micro T's. Now on his T3 he installed the motor and set the gear mesh. he also did the esc and soldered the motor wires on.

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

shodog wrote:My son really didn't get into it until I bought a set of Losi micro T's. Then all of a sudden he wanted to start running my Mini-t so we did a project where we replaced the shocks on the Mini-T. we also replaced the bearings and rear huub carriers on the micro T's. Now on his T3 he installed the motor and set the gear mesh. he also did the esc and soldered the motor wires on.
Praise him with two thumbs UP!How old is he anyway?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

He is 11 years old. My wife and I were talking about that in 6 more years he'll be off to college, I was thinking damn! they grow up quick.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

My wife tells me I am too old to play with "toy" cars. My 3 year old was watching my rc10 fly down the street the other day and I looked at my wife and ask her to make him smile like that. She hasn't yet. :D

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Hahaha. RC is BIG BOY toys! Its kinda costly too!