Tamiya Sand Scorcher - 2010 Reissue

The place for all things re-release Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GreenBar0n

Tamiya Sand Scorcher - 2010 Reissue

Post by GreenBar0n »

The first hobby grade RC I ever saw in my life, was when I was riding the city bus at 12 years old. There was an older kid maybe 14-15, sitting in the back of the bus, with the Tamiya Sand Scorcher box in his lap. All I could see was the side of the box. In that moment I made up my mind I had to get involved in RC.

I was able to get a Frog at 13, but by that time the Sand Scorcher wasn't for sale at my local hobby shop any longer. I'll always remember that Sand Scorcher box and the bus ride, can still see it.

38 years later, I ordered a Sand Scorcher from Amazon (last night); for $290 I couldn't pass it up.
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-America-Scorcher-Off-Road-TAM58452/dp/B002Z1KVPG

I see the kit comes with some bearings, but does anyone know if it comes with full bearings?

1300GT

Re: Tamiya Sand Scorcher - 2010 Reissue

Post by 1300GT »

Nice choice of kit. Really fun to build. Even more fun to drive. It should have twelve 5x11 metal shielded ball bearings in the kit. I bought a Buggy Champ in 2009 and it came with twelve bearings.
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Thanks for that! Perhaps the bearings it comes with aren't sealed bearings, that must be why Amazon was recommending the FastEddy kit with it.

I just bought all the paint, tools, and tape necessary to complete this boxart body - according to the instructions, it all came out to $102. Had to get primer, plastic putty for seams, Tamiya file set, and what seems like a dozen paints. I've never worked with anything but lexan so far, so this should be a challenge.

Going to try my hardest to make it look like the '79 boxart.

Since this is the 2010 RI, it doesn't have a license for all of those cool sponsored decals, like Bel-Ray, STP, Champion, NGK, Penzoil, etc., the new decals make it look fake:

I got the '79 decals from mci-racing, have to have the real decals. Another $40.

Tamiya Sand Scorcher: $316.91
Paint/tape/tools for body: $102
Mci-Racing sheet A and B decals: $38.35

Still need the aluminum wheels: $55-$60
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234972293135

And the front and rear bumper, with skid plate: $94
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255809446154

Parts should all be here by the end of next week. Looking forward to this one.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

GreenBar0n wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:16 pm Thanks for that! Perhaps the bearings it comes with aren't sealed bearings, that must be why Amazon was recommending the FastEddy kit with it.
Amazon makes the recommendation as an upsell, not because the kit doesn't come with bearings. It's their version of... would you like to supersize your order?! :D

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Amazon does that algorithm thing, where the AI see's what people buy together most often, and then recommends them together to someone else. Seems the Tamiya kit bearings aren't rubber sealed, where the FastEddy kit is sealed.
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Scorcher-58015-Sealed-Bearing/dp/B00K2C42T6

I've seen other's now also recommend the sealed bearing kit for sand and water, but I won't be driving this much, if at all. After having to spend so much time and $ on the body of one of these, it will be more of an achievement award, or a trophy, than a driver.

Just ordered the aluminum wheels and guards, going to paint the exhaust and stinger chrome. The rest should look like the '79 boxart.

Not looking forward to the tire writing, or painting the raised sidewall lettering, but I am determined to get that right, have to for this model.

ZED32
Approved Member

Post by ZED32 »

Those aluminum wheels are a bit crap. If you plan on running them, you'll need to glue the tires otherwise the rims will just spin inside the tire. I had a set on my hornet and never liked them. Also, the hex screws they come with like to strip out. Just a word of warning.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

That was a great price from Amazon.
A few months ago, I bought a SS re-re from a Japan ebay seller and it included bearings and hex hardware but no ESC.
This was only my second Sand Scorcher. My first was purchased back in 1979 or 1980 and it was my first surface RC.
Anyway, I've fitted a boxart body with MCI decals and aluminum wheels (just caps, actually) from Pargu.
I think you'll enjoy the build - I certainly did. It brought back many happy memories. Finishing the body in two-tone paint requires lots of time and patience.
Doug

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

GreenBar0n wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm Not looking forward to the tire writing, or painting the raised sidewall lettering, but I am determined to get that right, have to for this model.
Optivisor it!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

ZED32 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 pm Those aluminum wheels are a bit crap. If you plan on running them, you'll need to glue the tires otherwise the rims will just spin inside the tire. I had a set on my hornet and never liked them. Also, the hex screws they come with like to strip out. Just a word of warning.
These are shelf wheels, and will never see a curb in their lifetime. This entire Sand Scorcher model requires threadlock everywhere, it's almost entirely metal/alloy.

XLR8 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:11 am That was a great price from Amazon.
A few months ago, I bought a SS re-re from a Japan ebay seller and it included bearings and hex hardware but no ESC.
This was only my second Sand Scorcher. My first was purchased back in 1979 or 1980 and it was my first surface RC.
Anyway, I've fitted a boxart body with MCI decals and aluminum wheels (just caps, actually) from Pargu.
I think you'll enjoy the build - I certainly did. It brought back many happy memories. Finishing the body in two-tone paint requires lots of time and patience.
That's so cool that you had the original Sand Scorcher! It's a stunning model to look at. Do you still have your original?

I had also heard that for a while the ESC was missing from the Tamiya box's, due to the shortages. I tired to verify if mine came with the ESC, but wasn't successful. I was wondering if that was exactly why my kit wasn't $410 like everyone else. If I am missing the ESC, usually the Hobbywing 60A can be found for about $20-$30 on ebay. The Hobbywing 60A is what came with my Tamiya M06 VW Bus kit, most recently.
TRX-1-3 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am
GreenBar0n wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm Not looking forward to the tire writing, or painting the raised sidewall lettering, but I am determined to get that right, have to for this model.
Optivisor it!

It's getting so I can't read the mail without the Optivisor these days. :D

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

The kit won't be here for another week maybe, but got some paints, the files, and the wheels and guards got here today.

Was thinking about these white paint pens for the tires.
https://www.amazon.com/Marker-8-Pack-Coverage-Fabric-Acrylic/dp/B08NWK73ZN

Is there anything better for tire writing?

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

No. Unfortunately I was a financially strapped college student back in the early '80's so the SS was sold. I don't even have photos - very sad about that.
I've bought a few Tamiya kits from Japan and none of them include an ESC. Also, I've read that Tamiya has discontinued manufacturing their own ESC and will supply Hobby Wing 1060 units in kits going forward - for non-Japan kits apparently. I see this as an upgrade as the Tamiya ESC's are very weak while the HW 1060's are virtually bullet proof.

I think lots of paint markers will work for tire lettering. I've been using this Sharpie extra fine white oil based marker.
sharpie paint marker.JPG
My new SS is finished apart from lettering tires, installing an Rx and ESC.
P1010428.JPG
P1010429.JPG
... and I won't need to sell this one. :D
Doug

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

That is so sweet! The right decals, a boxart front bumper, and love the wheels you went with too, they look like the old Centerline rims, especially the way you painted the drums black in the center of each, so cool.

Thanks for the recommendation on the paint pen, I may have to try a couple of different brands. I bought a spare set of tires, front and rear, to practice on, just in case.

Amain has the Hobbywing 1060 ESC for $21.99, I bought (2) last night, just in case the Sand Scorcher doesn't come with one; though one Amazon reviewer said he did get an ESC with his.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126209199569

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

GreenBar0n wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:56 pm That is so sweet! The right decals, a boxart front bumper, and love the wheels you went with too, they look like the old Centerline rims, especially the way you painted the drums black in the center of each, so cool.

Thanks for the recommendation on the paint pen, I may have to try a couple of different brands. I bought a spare set of tires, front and rear, to practice on, just in case.

Amain has the Hobbywing 1060 ESC for $21.99, I bought (2) last night, just in case the Sand Scorcher doesn't come with one; though one Amazon reviewer said he did get an ESC with his.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126209199569
Hey, thanks so much!! It's definitely been a labor of love.

I always build RC's with a goal to actually run them but honestly, after spending so much time trying to get the little details right, it's really hard to get them out in the dirt and risk damage or losing parts.

The tire letters are recessed and form a trough to hold the paint. I will apply two coats as the first coat doesn't seem to cover fully.

The box will be marked with a sticker if an ESC is included.
Thanks for mentioning your Amain order. I need to pick-up another 1060 for a 2wd Chevy K10 that I'm building. 22 bucks isn't bad for a high quality ESC.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your build come together.
Doug

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Thanks! I completely understand about not wanting to drive it in the dirt, too much time invested, I'm the same way these days.

I ordered the Sharpie oil based paint pen. Hoping to get the tire writing correct, but I'm concerned about clean up, I see people use their Xacto blade to scratch off the excess paint, or mistakes, but is there an easier or cleaner way to remove the paint from the rubber?

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I actually did my letter with a toothpick and tamiya paint.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240323_112418_Chrome.jpg