Things that irritate you

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mAdMan
Approved Member

Re: Things that irritate you

Post by mAdMan »

Built my brother a jeep last fall and decided to get my road legal again.

Extremely long story short:

I replaced the injectors if only to run just 1% cleaner to help pass smog. I had installed the injectors 13 years ago I pulled from Dodge neons in junk yards to go from 1 to 4 hole. I figured it was time to replace them and the filter.

The brand new injectors stuck open in under 30 days and 200 miles. Washed 2 cylinders.

You just can’t buy good stuff anymore. Save EVERYTHING old.

Just fixed today, by reinstalling the old injectors. I still haven’t got the catalyst to reset, not sure if it’s good anymore after 40 miles on stuck open injectors. I need to change the oil now pull the plugs and clean them off. If I have to buy a new catalyst I’m looking at a $500 repair for just some preventative maintenance..

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

That's why JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

mikea96 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:29 pm That's why JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket
Use it to pull your BOAT, and be prepared to "Break Out Another Thousand" (not adjusted for inflation).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Pfft, I'd rather use a Chevrolet (Cracks Heads Eats Valves Rattles Oil Leaks Eats Transmissions)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Hey, Chevy's can limp along running poorly longer than many other brands can run at all.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

My 96 XJ I’ve had since late 2009. I’d say I have about $1500 in maintenance in 15 years and 100,000 miles. It’s been a great vehicle. It’s only weakness has been cheap replacement parts.
juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:40 pm
mikea96 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:29 pm That's why JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket
Use it to pull your BOAT, and be prepared to "Break Out Another Thousand" (not adjusted for inflation).
I used to. I never should have sold that boat. But watching it sit was painful. 👀 holy moly it’s my old 63 falcon futura poking its ass out in the bottom right. Of all the vehicles I sold that one has increasingly got more painful over time.
GoMachV wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:02 pm Pfft, I'd rather use a Chevrolet (Cracks Heads Eats Valves Rattles Oil Leaks Eats Transmissions)
Cheap Heap Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time

But then my 2004 2500 HD 8.1L Allison 1000 4x4 quad cab has been absolutely 100% maintenance free. Granted I’ve only done 30,000 miles in 10 years but 20k of that has been towing 6,000 or 12,000 lbs. It’s at 85,000 miles and has been a mechanical rock. Interior not so much :lol: but what matters hasn’t skipped a beat.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

My favorite is:
Fix It Again, Tony!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I don't know how to categorize this irritation. This literally happened last Friday, and I am not making any of this up.

Time for the company car (Dodge Journey) to get an oil change, so I take it to the local Jiffy Lube. This joint has always been a bit sketchy, and I take my personal cars elsewhere these days, but the JL had all the company car data on file so I take it to them. Pull up late morning expecting it to not be busy, and yea, not a soul there. There are three employees visible, and well yea, none that I would let date a family member. Tell them just an oil change, and I go sit in the crappy waiting room, and 15-20 minutes later, I pay and am out the door.

A couple minutes up the road, I check out the floor mats because I knew they were dirty/sandy and they should be vacuumed now, but no. I pull out the receipt and see that vacuuming floormats is listed as "completed." I then see "exterior windows cleaning" as completed, and look around, and again, nope. I put the receipt down and look up at the windshield and notice no oil change sticker is there. Within a couple of minutes of leaving the JL, they have failed at three simple tasks. I make a mental note of the mileage and make my way the 6 miles home.

Get home and get out of the car, and it stinks of burnt oil. Pop the hood and notice the oil cap is missing, and then notice it is sitting up on the plastic windshield cowling, just where someone would sit it while changing the oil. But it isn't wet around the cap or top of the engine, but it is soaking wet on the entire lower left side of the engine bay, with steering / suspension covered. I then look under the car, that there are multiple oil puddles forming, with the main one being what I would guess is a half court at this point.

I call the JL, and a manager answers, but he is the manager of a different store, just filling in for the day, and hadn't been in the shop for the past hour. He seems pretty nice and tells me he is sending people, including himself, to my house to make this right. 20 minutes later, two dudes show up, and they are 2 of the 3 idiots that caused all this! The manager is not present.

They look over the situation, and then start the car, and it is shooting oil from the filter seating area. So, not only did they not bring a filter with them, they don't have any tools to remove the filter!!! I tell them I have tools, and they ask if I have a 24mm socket, and I go get a socket and rachet for them. They then have to go to another JL to get a filter, which should have taken 20 minutes, but they are back 40 minutes later. They swap the filter, and then break out this jug of oil with a spicket on it, and fill it up. When done, I ask much they think they added, and the head idiot say, "about a quart and a half." Now, I am 49 years old, and have checked many a dipstick in my day, and the one I checked when I got home that day was not 1.5 quarts low. It was a solid ~3 quarts low, but was still showing on the dipstick, so I don't think it was disastrous. I can follow the drip pattern from my house out of the neighborhood, and this is just the last .5 miles of the 6 mile trip! This was more than 1.5 quarts!

The head idiot then makes the comment that he is going to knock of $20 of my bill for the trouble!! :roll: This was a full blown synthetic oil change service in the ballpark of $130, and he wants to knock off $20! I tell him $20 won't cover the staydry I need to put all over the driveway or the cleaning that needs to be done to the engine bay and suspension! His response that he didn't bring any rags, or he would clean that all up for me. :evil:

I have logged a complaint with corporate and will update.
jl fuck up 1.jpg
jl fuck up 2.jpg
jl fuck up 3.jpg
jl fuck up 4.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Boy, they're really living up to the reputation.
-Jerry-

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Yeah, that'll irritate a guy. Places like that..the business model is f*cked. Anybody who would take pride in doing it correctly would be hard to retain because it's all down to speed and the up-sale. Everybody has to communicate, coordinate, and execute. Those three dudes probably "know everything" and are too worried about their patina of "cool" to really get into the nitty-gritty of what I call "super service".
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Certain people

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

mAdMan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:18 pm 63 falcon futura
:D

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:50 pm I don't know how to categorize this irritation. This literally happened last Friday, and I am not making any of this up.

Time for the company car (Dodge Journey) to get an oil change, so I take it to the local Jiffy Lube. This joint has always been a bit sketchy, and I take my personal cars elsewhere these days, but the JL had all the company car data on file so I take it to them. Pull up late morning expecting it to not be busy, and yea, not a soul there. There are three employees visible, and well yea, none that I would let date a family member. Tell them just an oil change, and I go sit in the crappy waiting room, and 15-20 minutes later, I pay and am out the door.

A couple minutes up the road, I check out the floor mats because I knew they were dirty/sandy and they should be vacuumed now, but no. I pull out the receipt and see that vacuuming floormats is listed as "completed." I then see "exterior windows cleaning" as completed, and look around, and again, nope. I put the receipt down and look up at the windshield and notice no oil change sticker is there. Within a couple of minutes of leaving the JL, they have failed at three simple tasks. I make a mental note of the mileage and make my way the 6 miles home.

Get home and get out of the car, and it stinks of burnt oil. Pop the hood and notice the oil cap is missing, and then notice it is sitting up on the plastic windshield cowling, just where someone would sit it while changing the oil. But it isn't wet around the cap or top of the engine, but it is soaking wet on the entire lower left side of the engine bay, with steering / suspension covered. I then look under the car, that there are multiple oil puddles forming, with the main one being what I would guess is a half court at this point.

I call the JL, and a manager answers, but he is the manager of a different store, just filling in for the day, and hadn't been in the shop for the past hour. He seems pretty nice and tells me he is sending people, including himself, to my house to make this right. 20 minutes later, two dudes show up, and they are 2 of the 3 idiots that caused all this! The manager is not present.

They look over the situation, and then start the car, and it is shooting oil from the filter seating area. So, not only did they not bring a filter with them, they don't have any tools to remove the filter!!! I tell them I have tools, and they ask if I have a 24mm socket, and I go get a socket and rachet for them. They then have to go to another JL to get a filter, which should have taken 20 minutes, but they are back 40 minutes later. They swap the filter, and then break out this jug of oil with a spicket on it, and fill it up. When done, I ask much they think they added, and the head idiot say, "about a quart and a half." Now, I am 49 years old, and have checked many a dipstick in my day, and the one I checked when I got home that day was not 1.5 quarts low. It was a solid ~3 quarts low, but was still showing on the dipstick, so I don't think it was disastrous. I can follow the drip pattern from my house out of the neighborhood, and this is just the last .5 miles of the 6 mile trip! This was more than 1.5 quarts!

The head idiot then makes the comment that he is going to knock of $20 of my bill for the trouble!! :roll: This was a full blown synthetic oil change service in the ballpark of $130, and he wants to knock off $20! I tell him $20 won't cover the staydry I need to put all over the driveway or the cleaning that needs to be done to the engine bay and suspension! His response that he didn't bring any rags, or he would clean that all up for me. :evil:

I have logged a complaint with corporate and will update.

jl fuck up 1.jpg
jl fuck up 2.jpg
jl fuck up 3.jpg
jl fuck up 4.jpg
You would think two oil filter o-rings would seal better than one but I guess not :roll:
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

MarkyDents wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:34 am
You would think two oil filter o-rings would seal better than one but I guess not :roll:
:lol:

The one time I didn't check the old filter to make sure the gasket came off with it...pffffftttttttt....synthetic oil everywhere. That was 1994; lesson learned.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

1911Colt wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:17 am
MarkyDents wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:34 am
:lol:

The one time I didn't check the old filter to make sure the gasket came off with it...pffffftttttttt....synthetic oil everywhere. That was 1994; lesson learned.
The last time I changed my wife’s oil (takes 6.4 qts) I poured the extra half quart first before putting the plug in to flush the pan.

Forgot to put the lid on the 5 quart jug.

I’m older now and it’s not so easy to swing out from under a car. So after putting the plug in I swung out fast from under the van, nailed the jug with my elbow, and sent a gallon of fresh synthetic 5w30 all over my driveway and into my porch. It projectiled out of the bottle. 🤣