Things that irritate you

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Things that irritate you

Post by Coelacanth »

Buy a new Samsung TV and you'll quickly learn what irritates the Fawq out of me. My non-techy dad bought a new 55" Samsung "Smart TV" and couldn't get it working.

After connecting everything up, connecting the TV to WiFi, the TV prompted that we needed to create an effing Samsung account before we could sign in to ANYTHING. There was no option to opt out of this nonsense, it was forced. UNBELIEVABLE. So after going ahead and creating the damn Samsung account, scanning the QR code with a cellphone, installing the Samsung app, checking email for the verification code, finally signing in--and the whole time, the idiot voice prompting saying every little thing we were doing and no way to disable that either, until the Samsung ID was created--it was about an hour before we could even sign in to Netflix. That was after I had to go through the Samsung settings to make sure every idiotic ad personalization and personal information-sharing option was disabled.

I bought a Hisense 65" TV for my home a year ago, and it didn't require ANYTHING to be signed in, though you could sign in optionally with a Google ID, which I already had, so that was no biggie.

This privacy invasion and forced account creation is totally unbelievable these days.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:39 pm Buy a new Samsung TV and you'll quickly learn what irritates the Fawq out of me.
Easy solution, put it back in the box and return it, then leave scathing reviews.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Wow, I'm overwhelmed at what's been posted since mine that I can't possibly respond to it all without spending a few hours. :lol: :!: I've read it all, and agree with everything that's been typed. *Nods in approval*

It's an odd coincidence that this ended off on TVs as that's where my current irritation lies. Yesterday we got a letter from Spectrum that all 4 of our cable boxes are now obsolete, and will cease to function by March 28th. So in the next week they'll be sending out whatever the new self-install replacement kits are. Then you have to take the old boxes to a specific UPS store in another town so they can package them up to be sent back.

It's going to be a major hassle for me due to the way our current cable boxes are situated. It's not simply a matter of unplugging the old ones, and plugging in the new ones. Especially on my TV as I have a complicated setup due to my Retro Freak gaming console. Then there's the matter of configuring each one individually, and we know how that goes. Basically it's going to require days of messing around with this which is the last thing I needed on my plate right now. :x

The funny part is the cable box in the master bedroom died this past summer. The replacement they sent looked like it was pulled out of a swamp, and dragged behind a truck. It was that bad. Plus it was even older than the one it was replacing! After spending 20 minutes on a live chat with them, I got them to send out another box. I made it very clear that I wanted whatever their current cable box offering was. They said that's what I'd get. What I received was another broken down box that was just as old (15 years) as the last one they sent. Another 30 minutes chatting with them they promised I'd get one of their modern boxes. The 3rd box I received still wasn't one of their latest ones as promised but at least it was in good condition, and only 10 years old this time. So I installed it, and all has been well... until now. So, upon requesting their latest cable boxes, they kept sending me 10-15 year old ones, and now several months later are telling me that I need their latest cables boxes. :x :roll:

The jokes on them because we're taking this opportunity to ditch 2 of the 4 cable boxes, and replace them with Roku streaming devices instead. Actually, I'm taking it one step further and replacing my TV with a Roku one. I've been so happy with the Roku TV we got right before Christmas, that I'm buying the next size bigger one for my bedroom. It's going to add even more aggravation to the mix though as I now have to redo my entire setup but ultimately worth it.

I feel your pain @Coelacanth as we have a 55" Samsung in which I had to go through the same thing to set it up.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Today's thing that irritates me that I hadn't thought about in a while and now that I found a video about it irritates me all over again: the chicken tax.

https://youtu.be/HMJsM--jmRA?si=G7431izE3ur1zJI9

^ youtube link cause I can never get the embedded link stuff to work for some reason
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

GoMachV wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:37 am Today's thing that irritates me that I hadn't thought about in a while and now that I found a video about it irritates me all over again: the chicken tax.

https://youtu.be/HMJsM--jmRA?si=G7431izE3ur1zJI9

^ youtube link cause I can never get the embedded link stuff to work for some reason
Yeah. Over here in Korea, alot of the Joe's buy the 25 or approaching 25 year old right hand drive cool cars and trucks from Japanese auctions, have them shipped to Korea, then pay the shipping and import fees to take them back stateside when they go back. Not all Hiluxes, obviously. But then you have to deal with parts availability for vehicles that were never part of the "american" market. Lotta hassles and rabbit holes to go down. You have to really want it/do your homework. I've seen dreams crushed with rust and Bondo.

I wonder if the Taliban were hoping the Humvee would be available to them one day? Oh, and then....
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

mAdMan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:11 pm I don’t need nor do I desire my car to
-be built with two dozen chinese body control modules that allows the car to further:
-drive itself
-stop itself
-open the doors by cell phone
-start the engine by cell app
-back itself in or out of a parking spot
-have subscription services whatsoever
-software subscriptions for hardware
-receive software updates of any kind
-take 1 hour to fully refuel

This list can go on.
Well... apparently I'm the Devil... because I helped develop most of the technology on your list... and some that aren't.

The Amish party like it's 1799... why would wanting to live like it's 1989 be a source of frustration. All this technology was supposed to be for our pleasure anyway. Remember when we were told computers were going to make things easier? Shorter work weeks, fewer hours, less stress... where's the little emoji beating his fist on the ground in laughter when you need him?!

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Dangeruss wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:58 am
Well... apparently I'm the Devil... because I helped develop most of the technology on your list... and some that aren't.
Do I want to live in the stone age, no, but I also don't want senseless tech for the sake of senseless tech. Make technology more user friendly, make it ACTUALLY usable and functional! Why do we all have to be computer engineers just to be able to turn on a lightbulb?

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Dangeruss wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:58 am
mAdMan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:11 pm I don’t need nor do I desire my car to
-be built with two dozen chinese body control modules that allows the car to further:
-drive itself
-stop itself
-open the doors by cell phone
-start the engine by cell app
-back itself in or out of a parking spot
-have subscription services whatsoever
-software subscriptions for hardware
-receive software updates of any kind
-take 1 hour to fully refuel

This list can go on.

The Amish party like it's 1799... why would wanting to live like it's 1989 be a source of frustration. All this technology was supposed to be for our pleasure anyway. Remember when we were told computers were going to make things easier? Shorter work weeks, fewer hours, less stress... where's the little emoji beating his fist on the ground in laughter when you need him?!
I just have no time for things that claim to make my life easier at a cost yet I can not opt out.

They do not make life easier. They make people less aware - and more lazy.

Lane change assist. Automatic parallel park. Reverse cameras. People are learning to drive without ever looking over their shoulder. What happens when it fails? And it always does. Then you are no better off over 1989. Worse actually, you are driving around Chinese junk that doesn’t even do what you paid for, and you don’t even know how to drive like we did in 1989 with spatial awareness.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

This discussion revolves around electric cars and eternally Agenda 2030. It’s not some wild conspiracy anymore. They even have a website.

https://sdgs.un.org/2030agenda

I’m sure you’ve heard you’ll own nothing and like it.

I think most of us are collectors here. We have almost all switched to lipo battery at some point on some car. We’ve all learned that no matter how well you take care of those batteries. No matter how high you set your voltage cutoff, the batteries lose capacity. The car is fine. You took exquisite care of the car. In fact you only drove it once a month on weekends to keep the miles low. Because you have 10+ cars and are a car collector… you did everything you could to ensure the car stayed out of the sun, dust free, polished, aged out tires …but it was all for nothing. After 10ish years the battery must be replaced. (I can’t tell myself if I’m taking about RC lipo or a Tesla)

I have 2 hobby people batteries floating around. The best and longest lasting batteries I ever owned. They still work and approaching 8 years. Starting to swell though.

My 83 Porsche 944 has ~75,000 miles. Needs nothing. It’s immaculate.

Would any one EVER collect an electric car? I do not think so. Why would they?

Point: New technology is planned to be obsolete. It will not be passed down to generations. Labor is being stolen in the form of consumerism of cheap garbage products designed for convenience but built with the bottom bin cheapest components possible.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Sorry - I know you work in tech. I’m not devaluing your job. But I don’t want new tech that is constantly obsolete and I am far from alone. My hard earned money, my time spent researching before a purchase, my product is broken after the latest software update.

This is how it goes now. It’s universal.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

mAdMan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 am Sorry - I know you work in tech. I’m not devaluing your job. But I don’t want new tech that is constantly obsolete and I am far from alone. My hard earned money, my time spent researching before a purchase, my product is broken after the latest software update.

Agreed, not trying to demean anyone here, but the frustration of stupid tech is real. And by stupid I mean senseless, over complicated, rage inducing garbage, such as that Samsung TV or 90% of the tech in modern vehicles.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

today its eBay again.

An international customer (I do not allow international sales on eBay due to their stupid policies, yet eBay forced me into their global shipping garbage anyway) purchased 4 items from me, and eBay wants me to send them all individually to their shipping hub. They say they need to be able to track the items individually :roll: They published a letter dated December where they said they had a lot of sellers ask about this and have now created a system where you can send all items for a single buyer together, like combined shipping. Makes sense, that's how it should be. BUT, since I offer FREE SHIPPING on all my listings, there is no combined shipping...so I don't qualify 🤨🤯 I swear, every ####### day eBay manages to piss me off a little more. Now instead of one well packed, insured package, I have 4 small packages that cost me over 3x as much and will likely arrive at 4 different times. So now I added a shipping fee, a flat $5 per order. Maybe that will work, or better yet people will get a clue and order off the website where its cheaper for both of us. Still boggles my mind that I have good, regular customers that will pay more money through eBay for the same item. But thats another rant.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:00 pm Still boggles my mind that I have good, regular customers that will pay more money through eBay for the same item. But thats another rant.
I'm not going to lie, I've done it on accident a couple times.

Looking at an item on your eBay store and just hit "buy it now", instead of contacting you.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Haha well I wasnt calling out anyone in particular and hadn't even thought of one scenario in particular but man, I really hate giving eBay money 😄 I reached out to one a few weeks ago and refunded him on eBay and charged him way less to pay directly. I made about the same in the end but eBay didn't get a penny of it. Well, I guess they got their $.30 tho. Dangit.
Factory Works website

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Halgar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:56 am
mAdMan wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 am Sorry - I know you work in tech. I’m not devaluing your job. But I don’t want new tech that is constantly obsolete and I am far from alone. My hard earned money, my time spent researching before a purchase, my product is broken after the latest software update.

Agreed, not trying to demean anyone here, but the frustration of stupid tech is real. And by stupid I mean senseless, over complicated, rage inducing garbage, such as that Samsung TV or 90% of the tech in modern vehicles.
your Samsung frustration has led me to make a private video for this thread BAHAA🤣

I can’t embed it for some reason. But this tv worked perfect until the first forced update a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/ljuRGCJTHIA?si=fH28zsdHsN4oqXOK