So, what did you do RC today?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mAdMan
Approved Member

Re: So, what did you do RC today?

Post by mAdMan »

I found a new to me shop that’s been there for 14 years. So I had to patronize it.

My son deserves a new body for his slash. G-dang those chassis are tough. I also picked up a 78 chevy body for my new sc10 build, deans connectors are so expensive now, and some body posts for the c10.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I drove a mild brushless Cougar re-re in my backyard, which would not be noteworthy if it wasn't the first time in many months that I drove anything anywhere apart from brief tests.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Installed electronics in the Traxxas SRT. Went with a Tekin Speed Star TSC 412P because it fit perfectly, Futaba R142JE receiver and S3004 servo. Was originally going to use a Trinity Ex-Tech motor, but decided on the Speedworks 427 because I think it looks better.

image000000 (11).jpg
image000001 (8).jpg
-Jerry-

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Another Mad Max Mini in the works... painted the body, now to do the decals. Used Tamiya Flat Clear for the first time, seems to make the black much deeper.... not really flat, though.
20240219_081125.jpg
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The flat goes on the outside of the body :D
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

RC10th wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:13 am The flat goes on the outside of the body :D
Actually, Tamiya disagree with you :P. I investigated that before I started... and Tamiya say to paint it on the inside, before your colour. They do say to put on two coats, but I only did one, so that probably doesn't help...

You can use it on the outside of an already-painted body, to provide a flat effect, but then I guess you run the risk of the paint flaking off. Fine for the shelf, I suppose :shock:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Huh, painting the polycarbonate on the inside would make any flat paint glossy.... It won't flake off the outside any more than the inside.

I'm not so sure I agree with Tamiya on that one.

For what it's worth Horizon says outside.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/polycarbonate-ps-55-flat-clear-spray-100-ml/TAM86055.html

Now where did my eggs put their chickens?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

The argument seems to go both ways, and I've seen plenty of people say they put it on the outside. The way I paint, I rely on painting the inside, as it fixes up my unevenness ;)

With this body, it has given me a different looking finish, and I do like it. It's not a flat, matt finish by any means, but I like it.

Maybe with the remains of the can, I'll do another body from the outside, and see how it comes up... although, the idea of masking a body twice (inside and outside) does hit me with a case of the CBFs!
Osiris is the key.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

The Tamiya M-06 VW Bus model kit instructions have you buy PS-55 Flat Clear for the sole purpose of painting the outside of the body, to dull or flat the vinyl/ragtop, so it's not shiny like the paint is. You can see the halo lamp's reflection is not a complete circle because the ragtop is flat or dull, no reflection there.

I also intend to use PS-55 inside a different body, as a transparent glossy layer to stick non-polycarb paint to, like a primer for TS, or actual auto paint that's been color matched.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

If you want a clear matte exterior finish that won't chip...

Plasti Dip, Rust Oleum, Et al. make an unending rainbow of rubberized "peelable" paints.

It's thicker/heavier than enamel or acrylic but you can spray it inside the body for paint jobs & graphics that will absolutely never chip off. 8)

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

mAdMan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:27 am I found a new to me shop that’s been there for 14 years. So I had to patronize it.

My son deserves a new body for his slash. G-dang those chassis are tough. I also picked up a 78 chevy body for my new sc10 build, deans connectors are so expensive now, and some body posts for the c10.

What I learned a bit into my exploration of hobby shops they usually have a 'box'. It's all the vintage/old parts they took off a wall and haven't sold. Sometimes if you ask about associated parts they forget about it until you mention it.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

JosephS wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:43 pm
mAdMan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:27 am I found a new to me shop that’s been there for 14 years. So I had to patronize it.

What I learned a bit into my exploration of hobby shops they usually have a 'box'. It's all the vintage/old parts they took off a wall and haven't sold. Sometimes if you ask about associated parts they forget about it until you mention it.
I asked and he said he hasn’t had any AE parts in years. He stocked all the other brands but he didn’t even have new AE stuff. Sad to see where AE has gone. I talked to (unnamed) at associated a few weeks ago. Invited him to RCX said I had a ticket for him. He unfortunately wasn’t too interested. I asked why associated as a business isn’t going. He said they don’t do the expos anymore. The warehouse is miles from lake forest these days and not downstairs. Parts and service can’t just walk down and look in the bins anymore. It’s wild to see the changes from just 10 years ago.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Dangeruss wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:38 pm If you want a clear matte exterior finish that won't chip...

Plasti Dip, Rust Oleum, Et al. make an unending rainbow of rubberized "peelable" paints.

It's thicker/heavier than enamel or acrylic but you can spray it inside the body for paint jobs & graphics that will absolutely never chip off. 8)
IMG_0010.jpeg
My Savage XL Flux I built many years ago with its black plastic-dipped body I affectionately call Dark Matter. I knew I’d be kicking the snot out of it so I wanted a finish I could redo…. Probably pealed it and shot it 5 times over. Come to think of it, it probably needs to be done again. :twisted:
IMG_1125.jpeg
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

MarkyDents wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:59 pm
Dangeruss wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:38 pm If you want a clear matte exterior finish that won't chip...

IMG_0010.jpeg
My Savage XL Flux I built many years ago with its black plastic-dipped body I affectionately call Dark Matter. I knew I’d be kicking the snot out of it so I wanted a finish I could redo…. Probably pealed it and shot it 5 times over. Come to think of it, it probably needs to be done again. :twisted:
IMG_1125.jpeg
Cuts down on the rattling lexan panel sound too, yeah?
Hope you're doin' something fun.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Yes, yes it does. Also big air landings went from bong to thud.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)